• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

X

Xiaomi

Taking a break: October 24, 2023 and onwards
Aug 8, 2020
I just finished playing Silent Hill 2 and it was amazing. I could just relate with everything the character (James) goes through and the fog is a metaphor for depression, the enemies also represented his fears. I wish I could play something as deep as that though. I'm currently playing through a list of other games before my CTB day and I'm rushing them lol. Have you guys ever had similar experiences? What other games with similar themes do you recommend?

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I just finished playing Silent Hill 2 and it was amazing. I could just relate with everything the character (James) goes through and the fog is a metaphor for depression, the enemies also represented his fears. I wish I could play something as deep as that though. I'm currently playing through a list of other games before my CTB day and I'm rushing them lol. Have you guys ever had similar experiences? What other games with similar themes do you recommend?
I feel the same way sometimes but not with games, but movies. The Ring is a big trigger for me. I don't know why....

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I just recently started to play The Outer Worlds. Some worker's suicide was a topic of discussion with some NPCs. "Suicide is a crime. The legal term is irreversible damage to company property..." Gave me a good laugh.

X

Xiaomi

Taking a break: October 24, 2023 and onwards
Aug 8, 2020
I just recently started to play The Outer Worlds. Some worker's suicide was a topic of discussion with some NPCs. "Suicide is a crime. The legal term is irreversible damage to company property..." Gave me a good laugh.
Company property lol. Business people would feel bad when one of their personnel ctb, not because they miss them but because they're losing profits

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
In Project Zomboid you can drink bleach to kill yourself. (not recommended in real life) You can do this at any point in the game but usually it's just to speed things up if you've been infected.

ThrownAwayTom

ThrownAwayTom

Experienced
Oct 3, 2020
Celeste is a platform game about getting over a mountain, but the mountain itself is a metaphor for her own depression and self doubt. I'm pretty sure a shadow version of herself even haunts her making it harder at one point.

FF9 hit me hard when I was a kid. I took the day off school sick and played a part where this timid character called Vivi comes across his home town, but in turn learns about death and the fact he will inevitably die. It really shook me at the time lol

constant_grief

constant_grief

Nov 25, 2020

Silent Hill 2 is a fantastic game indeed, it has a spot in my heart. Maybe I will play it one last time soon. It's a very melancholy, mysterious experience and the music is exceptionally good and fitting. Lots of themes including loss/grief, abuse, bullying, illness.

Another good and IMO very underrated horror series is Siren (aka Forbidden Siren). You want to play the PS2 games, not the PS3 remake. Quite similar to Silent Hill in terms of atmosphere, lots of dreariness and hopelessness, and very fun too.

L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
Lol bleach. Cant you shoot yourself instead?

Nope. But you can also let the zombie infection run its course. You'll get increasingly anxious and jumpy for a couple of days. And then you suddenly get a craving for brains..

Wraith

Wraith

Lost in The Void
Nov 4, 2020
"Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice" is good. You play as a Pictish warrior struggling with psychosis and PTSD. The game itself is all about mental illness.

"What Remains of Edith Finch" is another good one.

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
There's a whole bunch of indie games that tackle depression although sometimes they can be too edgy. The one's that i recommend would be:
Fran Bow - point and click, tackles depression but the latter sections seem "trippy". Has a mechanic of taking pills to see a different area
Detention - set in taiwan in the time opressive white terror period, it pretty much shows how the mc dealt with it and how she's burdened with guilt throughout the whole game.
"Yomawari: Midnight Shadows" - the depiction of depression and the desire to ctb was just gut wrenching to me. Here's a link of review telling the narrative of it if you dont want to play it yourself:

I cant really play horror games even if you pay me, so i stuck to watching let's plays. Some rpg makers games was great stories too if you're still looking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lostandlooking
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Max Payne, Manhunt, Condemned all have pretty depressing environments. Silent Hill 4 is probably the most depressing Silent Hill game. The song Room of Angel would trigger anyone.