Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Sylvia Plath pretty famously died by sticking her head in an oven. This makes me wonder why more people don't do this, since it apparently was effective. I image maybe the heat would make it uncomfortable? And not as many gas ovens as electric these days?

When I think about suicides like this it makes me feel like a bit of a coward because I'm all nervous about SN even though it apparently isn't that painful of a method compared to others

• Aww..
Reactions: cowboypants
cowboypants

cowboypants

From milkyway
May 7, 2024
I think it's scary to put my head into an oven than drinking sn and going to bed and sleep

Reactions: LifeQuitter and Beyond_Repair
Themogger

Themogger

Why so serious?
Jul 23, 2024
It used to be a way of committing suicide, but not any more.

Firstly, it has to be a gas oven and you need to turn the gas on.

Secondly, the gas supply has to be manufactured gas. Until about 50 years ago in the UK, the gas supply was "town gas" made from coal. This contains a significant proportion of carbon monoxide, which is poisonous. It bonds to the haemoglobin in the blood instead of oxygen and kills you by suffocation.

Then we changed to North Sea natural gas and this is methane, which is not poisonous. (This meant converting the entire country's gas cookers and boilers as it has a different calorific value.) So this suicide method doesn't work any more. Same in the USA, where natural gas is what is supplied to your gas cooker.

-Btw I just copied and pasted this from Quora. Heard about it before šŸ˜

• Informative
Reactions: LifeQuitter, vitbar, cowboypants and 1 other person
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
It used to be a way of committing suicide, but not any more.

Firstly, it has to be a gas oven and you need to turn the gas on.

Secondly, the gas supply has to be manufactured gas. Until about 50 years ago in the UK, the gas supply was "town gas" made from coal. This contains a significant proportion of carbon monoxide, which is poisonous. It bonds to the haemoglobin in the blood instead of oxygen and kills you by suffocation.

Then we changed to North Sea natural gas and this is methane, which is not poisonous. (This meant converting the entire country's gas cookers and boilers as it has a different calorific value.) So this suicide method doesn't work any more. Same in the USA, where natural gas is what is supplied to your gas cooker.

-Btw I just copied and pasted this from Quora. Heard about it before šŸ˜
That's interesting, thanks for taking the time to look that up :) I was aware of newer cars no longer supplying near enough carbon monoxide for CTB, but I didn't know about the gas thing

Reactions: Themogger
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
Old gas ovens had a little hole at the front of the bottom panel when you opened the door. Turn on the gas, light a match and hold it to the hole.
Whump...oven was lit.

Don't light the over, then the oven fills with gas. Insert head and die, maybe. Or blow uo your house. Maybe die then? Maybe not.

New ovens are very safe. You can only cook your head now.

• Informative
Reactions: Beyond_Repair
Beyond_Repair

Beyond_Repair

Disheartened Ghost
Oct 27, 2023
Old gas ovens had a little hole at the front of the bottom panel when you opened the door. Turn on the gas, light a match and hold it to the hole.
Whump...oven was lit.

Don't light the over, then the oven fills with gas. Insert head and die, maybe. Or blow uo your house. Maybe die then? Maybe not.

New ovens are very safe. You can only cook your head now.
Good to know, thanks for responding!