peacetoall

peacetoall

May 24, 2019
"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
― David Foster Wallace

• Love
Reactions: madbananas, Deleted member 1768, XYZ and 11 others
GravityUtilizer

GravityUtilizer

Born to lose
May 22, 2020
He'd have made a great poster here.

• Love
Reactions: Wayfaerer, Meditation guide and BitterlyAlive
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
― David Foster Wallace

Was that really DFW? I've heard that quote before and could've sworn it was much older than him.

Reactions: BitterlyAlive
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
My favorite quote. I put it in my note, actually...

Reactions: Meditation guide
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I've always been fond of DFW's character who was a receptionist at a law firm, and had to answer the phone with "Frequent & Vigorous" day in and day out.

XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
He was a brilliant man. Sadly he was tortured by many demons, depression being the biggest of them. When I think of this talented, sad, funny man taking his own life, I get shivers down my spine. In his case, I really think depression should be listed as the cause of death.

• Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive