• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Recently I did not tip a person at a store. In Germany you usually don't tip people in most stores. Usually you only tip hairdressers and a waiter/waitress. However we tip way lower amounts. In comparison to the US our amounts are a joke. I heard such stories of journalists that live in the US talking about the cultural differences.

I have never been to the US sadly and probably never will. But I will search it on the internet and explain some anecdotes which people told me. Take my remarks with a grain of salt.

- allegedly Americas are more open towards other people. For example in their small talk with strangers. I cannot comment on that. But I know that many foreigners describe Germans as rude and cold. And yes I am one of them. I am so fucking bad at small talk and social rituals. You would find me impolite for sure.

- Allegedly Americans are more relaxed when interacting with people. In Germany there are some differences. For example writing an e-mail that is addressed to a higher up in the hierarchy. In English you can use "Dear" no matter who you are talking to. In Germany we have different phrases for different people depending on the formality. If you write to a friend we use different words than for example when your write to your boss. It is weird for me sometimes to adress a professor with Dear or "you". In German also have two forms of "you". One for formal and one for informal language.

-allegedly we Germans have a stricter notion of environment awareness (on average). In the US air conditions are way more widespread. I live in a modern house and noone in my family has one. In the US trucks are way more popular. SUVs are seen as critical of many people in my country. Probably also many Germans are envious of the rich who are able to afford such a car. In the US you rather grant people their wealth. Live and let live. In Germany in order to look good hating on the rich is a common behavior. A German leftwing politican once joked about enslaving the rich and the conservative media melted on that.

- patriotism. Yes that is absoluely true. In Germany only love for the constitution has a good image. The current vice chancellor once said in an interview he does not love Germany and people who say something like that seem to be questionable for him. I think this says a lot. Also of course because of our history. I could talk a lot about that point but I need sleep. The football stadiums where they chant the US-anthem always gives me goosebumps. In Germany instead it sounds so awkward. And many feel uncomfortable singing it.

-allegedly (!) Germans care more about their body. They only refer to fast food and bio products in this article. (Germans seemingly buy more often products which were produced local and sustainable). At least in my family this clearly is the case. Except for me. Lol. I hope all the convenience food and barely doing fitness will kill me one day. At least me I am not meant with this point. However I am skinny as fuck. And might have a minor eating disorder.

- In Germany the people use more often public transport. They say because of the size differences concerning the country there are also infrastructure differences. Seems plausible for me.

- they say US-citizens are more friendly towards their guests and usually more helpful towars strangers. I could imagine that. Fits into my notion of the unfriendly Germans. I feel adressed by that. Don't stare at me I am venting about my horrible life on a daily basis in a suicide forum. Yes I am resentful and increasingly bitter.

- they say Germans value freedom not as much as Americans. At least after my interactions with Americans about free speech I have that impression too. I think Germans have often a very strict disciplined bureaucracy in mind. It is important that everyone is punctual and that there are rules and regulations for everything.

- Germans are more direct in their communication. We don't care as much about the atmosphere. Efficiency is more important for us especially concerning business related stuff.

- allegedly Americans are more optimistic and also more tolerant about mistakes. Personally I am pessimistic as fuck and I despise myself over every single mistake I do. Though I cannot make a general claim about my countriemen or Americans.

- in Germany we have stores with different sorts of breads that we especially buy in the morning. Personally I don't like them that much and prefer them from the supermarket but only wholemeat/ healthy sorts. But in my family these bread stores (very hard to translate or mediate) are very popular. It costs also way more money.

- I think there are more religious fundamentalists in the US and they have (way) more power. Noone questions abortions that much in Germany. At least not in this magnitude.

- I think in the US there are more dangerous animals. But I am not sure on that. There are barely dangerous spiders in Germany (I think). College and health care is (of course) free. The US is mroe multicultural and a melting pod. We learn a lot about the US and UK at school especially in English classes. Germany has not as many huge cities.

Germany is a welfare state with way more social security. Less inequality. Still way too much though. Germans are on average more leftwing. Especially on economics.

It is very interesting to talk on that but I seriously need sleep.

Last edited:
B

benzol

Aug 26, 2023
Germans often drive very fast on the highway (Autobahn) with low distance.
There is now speed limit on many sections. However, there are rules for the distance which are often ignored

• Informative
Reactions: noname223