O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
I think there were two people who CTB the past week or so. Based on the posts on here, I know they were located in Schaumberg, IL and San Diego. I've been googling news looking for recent suicides in those areas but I'm unable to find anything. Does anyone know of an instance where someone on SS CTB and made the news?

I have this macabre fascination of reading suicides in the news...

Reactions: Goldie, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, IwasElla and 7 others
Retched

Retched

I see the chaos in your eyes.
Oct 8, 2018
I think there were two people who CTB the past week or so. Based on the posts on here, I know they were located in Schaumberg, IL and San Diego. I've been googling news looking for recent suicides in those areas but I'm unable to find anything. Does anyone know of an instance where someone on SS CTB and made the news?

I have this macabre fascination of reading suicides in the news...
I think there was probably more than two in the past week, but no I don't know about more. I think a lot go unreported.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Trashcan and 3 others
O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
I think there was probably more than two in the past week, but no I don't know about more. I think a lot go unreported.
I find it weird how news reports on some suicides not others.... I'd really like to CTB with N. in hotel with a partner, I wonder if that would make the news..(i really hope not).... Since I have not come across 1 story of a suicide by N., I don't think it will be reported in the news

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Trashcan and 1 other person
Retched

Retched

I see the chaos in your eyes.
Oct 8, 2018
I looked too. There aren't any N stories that I found. I don't know if you'd make the news or not. If you still were going to jump, I'd say yes...that is pretty public. N? No idea if they'd report it or not unless it is a juicy story.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Даун and 3 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
A friend of mine did a pact with someone using cyanide in NYC in 2014, it made the news there, but I'm not sure about it going nationwide.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Trashcan and 1 other person
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Suicides are underreported unless it involved law enforcement. Or if they find a dead body in the woods and they use the news to spread the word to help identify the body.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Даун and 2 others
EternalSanction

EternalSanction

-
Jun 7, 2018
News agencies are usually encouraged to not report suicides in order to prevent "suicide contagion" (copycat suicides).
Thus they only inform about suicides of "important" (=celebrity) persons, suicides that were somewhat spectacular or that affected the public mass somehow.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, pushka, worldexploder and 7 others
Xerxes

Xerxes

Invisible
Nov 8, 2018
Funny enough, they try to prevent copycat suicides, but when a famous person dies of suicide it seems to increase copycat suicides more.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Miss clefable and 6 others
C

ctbclaire

Nov 19, 2018
My friend's suicide was all over Polish media about 9 years ago.

One morning in December, her belongings were found at a tourist beach along the Baltic Sea after she had gone missing from her family home. Three months later, her body was found washed up on the shore after the ice began to melt. It was so surreal and numbing to see a photo on some random news website knowing that was my friend lying there on the beach with a black sheath over her body. I still think about it and my brain can't quite comprehend it.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Даун and 1 other person
O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
My friend's suicide was all over Polish media about 9 years ago.

One morning in December, her belongings were found at a tourist beach along the Baltic Sea after she had gone missing from her family home. Three months later, her body was found washed up on the shore after the ice began to melt. It was so surreal and numbing to see a photo on some random news website knowing that was my friend lying there on the beach with a black sheath over her body. I still think about it and my brain can't quite comprehend it.

sorry for your loss, but i think the media only became interested when a young lady who went missing portion rather than the suicide

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Lifeisatrap
C

ctbclaire

Nov 19, 2018
sorry for your loss, but i think the media only became interested when a young lady who went missing portion rather than the suicide
Thank you and I agree, there's a hierarchy of which CTB news make the headlines and which don't.

S

stargazer

Arcanist
Nov 19, 2018
Yes, I agree with the earlier poster, how celebrity deaths by suicide, do tend to get way more publicity, which defeats the purpose of what the media supposedly try to prevent, which is copycat attempts. Oh well, media make their own rules I guess to a large degree unless they're ever sued.

O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
so no one knows of an instance where a member on SS who CTB'ed was mentioned in the news? With my bad luck, I'd probably be the first with my face in the papers...=(

S

Shewaitsforme

Arcanist
Sep 23, 2018
My partner committed suicide and it was in the news. This has lead to me being blaimed, i now have zero family, no friends, cant go out as pictures of us were all over, her family hate my guts. People took away my ability to grieve. Ive been sectioned twice thus affecting my job which i cant return to anyway (who wants someone accused of causing suiside treating their family member on the ambulance) and yeah im now planning my own death because i have no choice. My life has been ruined thanks to the shit the papers wrote just trying to sell the story. Some things were not true but people dont see that

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and 1 other person
BaconCheeseburger

BaconCheeseburger

Comfort-eating
Aug 4, 2018
so no one knows of an instance where a member on SS who CTB'ed was mentioned in the news? With my bad luck, I'd probably be the first with my face in the papers...=(

Xanexx CTB and went missing as a result and she was in her local news

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
Have you tried looking in the obituaries? I know San Diego is a huge city but if you know their ages or names it may be easier to look up.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
O

OkTotti

Wizard
Nov 6, 2018
Have you tried looking in the obituaries? I know San Diego is a huge city but if you know their ages or names it may be easier to look up.

I haven't ... not interested if they are listed in obituaries but are listed in the news. I don't know names but general age and location based on what the info they posted on SS. I guess there is no rhyme or reason why some suicides are in the news and some are not. I definitely do not want to be in the news...

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap