KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Does anyone else see these weird, sort of tongue in cheek memes about therapists and psychologists always popping up everywhere?

Personally I find them really annoying because therapy never helped me and it's always normalised that avenue of "help" is the solution, so whenever therapists are depicted as these wise sage-like figures who possess all the answers it makes my eyes roll into the back of my head.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, LastFlowers, Makko and 4 others
Ghostly

Ghostly

Student
Nov 21, 2020
i know this feeling all to well

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
I'd rather get a tarot reading or something. At least it has a mystical feel to it.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
I'd rather get a tarot reading or something. At least it has a mystical feel to it.
The whole forum would just get this over and over:
RWS_Tarot_12_Hanged_Man.jpg

Does anyone else see these weird, sort of tongue in cheek memes about therapists and psychologists always popping up everywhere?

Personally I find them really annoying because therapy never helped me and it's always normalised that avenue of "help" is the solution, so whenever therapists are depicted as these wise sage-like figures who possess all the answers it makes my eyes roll into the back of my head.

Therapists are a complete joke. If you'd get a job or something and make a friend at work, you could just talk to them about the childhood sexual abuse or whatever during the lunch break and get paid rather than pay.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 1 other person
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021

Therapists are a complete joke. If you'd get a job or something and make a friend at work, you could just talk to them about the childhood sexual abuse or whatever during the lunch break and get paid rather than pay.
The Hanged Man is a positive symbol. I'd guess most people here would get The Tower.

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Sensei and GenesAndEnvironment
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
The Hanged Man is a positive symbol. I'd guess most people here would get The Tower.

220px-RWS_Tarot_16_Tower.jpg

Yeah, that's fucking metal.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
I see that, but more often I just see the general pushing of "Therapy is beneficial to everyone!" or its more condescending cousin: "You need professional help..."

I also see "mental illness" memes posted by individuals who don't even have anything wrong with them, they think being "mentally ill" is trendy. They don't endure the actual hellish circumstances that lead most people to start displaying mental distress.

The fields of Psychology and Psychiatry have an insane amount of undeserved authority over people's lives, as well as the general public perception, and this needs to come to an end. People who dedicate their being to that profession are not going to be easily convinced that their methods are akin to brain washing, based off a soft science, and that all their years of schooling and exorbitant paychecks mean nothing but the destruction of numerous patient's quality of life-and ironically, their sanity.
Personally, both talk therapy and psych medication made my problems a million times worse. Those in charge of such, also succeeded in planting seeds of intense invalidation (& an overall dismissive attitude) in those around me, toward the genuine source of anguish.
My family (& any privy stranger) can now use my time spent with psych docs & psych facilities as proof that I am some insane person and that everything I say and do, everything I am, everything done to me, can all be explained away as the fault of my faulty brain.
I'm not even allowed to be a person anymore, never mind an autonomous, respected, full-fledged human being.
The truth means nothing to these people, the truth you lived every day of your life, the truth you suffered through, the truth that brought about your trauma and symptoms of mental 'affliction'.
They don't care about all that, not in the work they based their career off of, and not in the work they do in-office with their clients. Your truth is never the truth, not to them. And speaking of work, that's another thing that will always be put on the patient.
"Oh it's not working because you're not doing the work." And the classic "You can't help those who don't want to helped!"
As if their mass-designed "help" is the only correct definition of the word. As if us refusing it, is the same as refusing any help at all. It's so ridiculous, plenty of us want "help", but the type of help that we need is simply not available and definitely not found in the form of these therapies, intensely biased analysis sessions, brain damaging medications, or otherwise.

You know how certain methods of therapy have been ousted as toxic and harmful in recent years? (As have certain diagnoses) Like say, for instance, conversion therapy. Now, most current day psychs would be quick to tell you that conversion therapy was never a real therapy to begin with, that it was based on a crock of shit. But I think the more time that passes, the more we will realize that more and more of these methods-still in practice-will be thrown out and called a crock of shit, just the same.
To me, all therapy is conversion therapy.
They take what we say, what we do, how we think, they tell us it's wrong, and they do everything to convert us into something we are not, they tell us the only solution is to blissfully live in ignorance of who we truly are and what truly started us on our course of suffering. They absolve society, and they blame us.
They bury the truth. They shovel it down, down, down our fucking throats until it's wedged neatly at our core, covered with psycho babble trash. That is, ofcourse, after they decide to dig it up in the most traumatic manner possible. But they aren't solving the issue, they are just trying to get us to believe the issue lies elsewhere, which more often than not-it doesn't.

The sad thing is, the push for psych treatment among the masses, inspired by those in the profession, often bleeds into our everyday personal/interpersonal relationships.
Friends don't want to be friends anymore, family doesn't want to be family, not if it means listening to your problems with a sympathetic ear or taking the time to metaphorically climb into the other person's skin.
When those close to you get even the faintest bit frustrated, they can say "I'm not qualified to help you with that, hell, I'm not even qualified to listen, you need a professional."
And to that I say, just..what the actual fuck.

We are starting to have no choice but to fall into the arms of these therapists, these psychologists/psychiatrists. But people have it backwards. Friends and family aren't the ones who should be shouting their lack of qualifications to the sky.
Psych doctors are the ones who aren't qualified, they are not qualified to listen with genuine care, they are not qualified to love us or even like us, they are not qualified to be what friends and family SHOULD be, they are barely qualified to be anything more than robots.
They have a script, they have these methods and manuals (which they can tweak and interpret at whim) that allow them to remain cold and aloof, they are told by their superiors to keep a wall up, let the patient pour out their soul and weaknesses, but never EVER do the same, in return. There is no authenticity in the back and forth between doctor and patient, not there.
It lacks something vital.
Unfortunately, that vital thing, is also becoming more and more rare, even outside the walls that house these "professional helpers".

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: doge, Élégie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
I'd guess most people here would get The Tower.

220px-RWS_Tarot_16_Tower.jpg

Yeah, that's fucking metal.
Reminds me of the burning building analogy. I'll just copy-paste it here.

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."

—David Foster Wallace

According to Wikipedia, the Tower is interpreted as 'danger, crisis, destruction, and liberation'.

Couldn't be more coincidental.

Last edited:
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Makko

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
@DoNotBoopTheSnoot Tis a good analogy. Someone here also compared the mental health industry treatments to barricading the windows instead of dousing the flames.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and LastFlowers
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
@DoNotBoopTheSnoot Tis a good analogy. Someone here also compared the mental health industry treatments to barricading the windows instead of dousing the flames.
*All while telling you the flames only exist in your mind. They don't become real to anyone else until they've burned you alive, until you are ash.
Sometimes, not even then.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?