MakeItStop

MakeItStop

Wtf.
Oct 14, 2018
How on earth does everyone cope with overwhelming thoughts of suicide? I think it would be helpful if everyone shares.

Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
For me its knowing that I have everything ready, that i can go to the cupboard and use it when I want. I have a fixed date which is in December so my problem really is trying not to use it before that day. But having everything ready gives me back a small bit of control.

Reactions: sleepy dog
TheblueBunny

TheblueBunny

Life is like a cactus
Sep 16, 2019
Well it's not exactly healthy, but I deal with it by putting a lot of guilt on myself. I'm already way past the point of telling myself it gets better, so instead I remember the time my mom said her life would lose meaning if I disappeared.

I'm also coping with the thoughts by knowing I could end it all right now, but knowing this also pains me. I also like to think of the good times I've had, they make life a little more bearable.

Other than this, it's sheer willpower for me, with a little mix of naive hope.

• Love
Reactions: IsadoraBeauxdraps
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I'm doing things, but they definitely are not the healthiest or most permanent ways to go about it. So I'm not sure I'm recommending most of it. But I'm desperate, and I'll take anything that helps at this point. My urges are constant and strong. They get more intense every day.

Right now, it's mostly pure willpower. I made a few promises to myself, and I'm doing my best to keep them. Most involve final preparations, and I'm kind of stalling getting it done. Since I promised myself I would stay alive until they're finished, not doing them is actually helping keep me alive. It's not a permanent solution, but it's all I have right now.

Also, sleeping a lot and/or just staying in bed. If I'm asleep or at least not moving around, I'm theoretically not up harming myself.

Obsessing over getting the perfect method or making sure I'm not forgetting things and endlessly tweaking my plan. It seems weird at first, but things like that occupy so much of my waking time, the day passes and I can put it off another day.

I am also still going to therapy and looking for meds that might work. None of that is helping and I want to just stop, but I'm not going to. At least, not yet.

Reactions: painoflife and dyingtodie
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
I take sleeping pills and gin and sleep the thoughts away, sad thing is when I wake up again it's back to it. It's horrible.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: LittleJem, mattwitt and eve2004
Azagorod

Azagorod

Apr 4, 2019
M E M E S.
No but seriously tho, my usual cycle is to wake up, realize I didn't die in my sleep, start thinking about life, feel the panic attack coming, open reddit and waste the day away. Sometimes I'll take a nap in the middle if I'm tired enough. It actually works better than it sounds, I had some almost productive days where I went around my business with my phone permanently in one hand and I actually had decent meals, took a shower etc... by constantly distracting myself and preventing me from seeing the bigger picture of the disaster that I call my life.

sadgirl2002

sadgirl2002

Fallen Angel
Apr 9, 2019
I keep myself busy whilst trying not to think about anything that can trigger the thoughts and flashbacks.

Reactions: falconeyes and PurpleRose
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
M E M E S.
No but seriously tho, my usual cycle is to wake up, realize I didn't die in my sleep, start thinking about life, feel the panic attack coming, open reddit and waste the day away. Sometimes I'll take a nap in the middle if I'm tired enough. It actually works better than it sounds, I had some almost productive days where I went around my business with my phone permanently in one hand and I actually had decent meals, took a shower etc... by constantly distracting myself and preventing me from seeing the bigger picture of the disaster that I call my life.

I don't know, I used reddit for less than a month I think, and I don't remember a worse mood in my life. Cannot imagine a more crazy-making atmosphere than in there. If reddit was a person, I would let my dragon eat her. When I say reddit, I have a crawly feeling all over my skin.

I'd give life a chance by doing anything else than reddit.

Reactions: Throwawaysoul
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I just sleep a lot

Reactions: IsadoraBeauxdraps
Nem

Nem

Drs suck mega ass!
Sep 3, 2018
I think of violent ways to die hourly, things are so freakin bad it's unreal, I'm going to give myself a heart attack if I don't end this pos life soon
Peace/hugs

• Hugs
Reactions: JustHeckinKillMe, Final Escape and woxihuanni
E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019
I go running (or other exercises) and push the pain level as high as I can, it seems to do something chemical in my brain and relieves the obsessive CTB thoughts for a while. Sometimes I'll take a bunch of stimulants before and hope I die of a heart attack. I've actually tried and really wished it would happen.

I also go to coffee shops or somewhere I can sit outside in summer and waste the minutes away. If I go home, I know I'm going to pop some sleeping pills and sleep so I try to make it to 3pm before I go home.

Candy Crush, Solitaire, those word games.... mahjong...

I thought about writing my own obituary so they wouldn't have to, I may do that next time the thoughts reach an uncontrollable level.

« In lieu of flowers, please donate to SS »
Just kidding...!

Reactions: Final Escape
jesse

jesse

perpetually overwhelmed
Sep 18, 2019
The best thing I've found is high energy neutral music. Like happy sounding electronica without cheesy, irrelevant, happy lyrics. Play that for a few hours while you take a long, slow walk.

Reactions: Final Escape and dyingtodie
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I try to stay busy with art. Let it pass. Bury it. Ignore it. Talk about it during sessions. Go fishing. Take a drive. Hug someone I love. It's hard. It doesn't go away.

Reactions: falconeyes
B

brain problems

defective
May 31, 2019
Distractions. Listening to music and focusing on the lyrics, taking a hot/cold shower, playing with my cat, cleaning the house. Sometimes I just cuddle with a plushie and cry ٩( ᐛ )و

During one of my hospital stays, a nurse helped me make a sheet with a length of time (like an hour or so) to delay hurting myself or doing something drastic, with a list of stuff to do during that time. Some of the distractions I mentioned were written on it. I made copies and posted them in places around my home where I could see them. It sounds cheesy but idk maybe somebody else would like to use this method lol

Reactions: Madame Psychosis
F

falconeyes

Sep 27, 2019
I keep my mind busy in reading and helping others, especially those who need help with studying. The feeling of being useful to others gives me temporary sooth.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Try to ignore them since I can't just act on it without some preparation anyway. I sit around and do nothing, feel sorry for myself, watch YouTube, smoke weed, go to gym. Lol!

Reactions: stellabelle
walker

walker

Apr 8, 2019
I switch between this site and another (suicideforum.com), listen to music, talk to people.

GreyMonkey

GreyMonkey

Heartbroken
Aug 20, 2019
Suicidal thoughts for me depends on how deeply in hell I am. The deeper in the hell the more the thoughts come and the more time I'll spend on here researching methods and envying those who are going through them. Alternated with distracting myself by watching tv and smoking cigarettes.

As I start to come out of hell the urge to die weakens. Suicide seems strange and scary. I can see more clearly the messed up thinking that gets me to the place that sees it as an option, and the emotional pain driving those thoughts.

Today it seems scary to me. Even though it's 3.30am. I woke up an hour ago and can't sleep anymore. My brain is in shock again. And right now I don't want to desperately end it myself. I'd accept and embrace death if it came though. Life still feels difficult and filled with potential failure and heart break. Yet I want to grow.

Reactions: sleepy dog