W

Wallace

Mar 5, 2020
I've been looking for a new job for a while now, well over a year. A colleague of mine asked to review my current work sample, and he turned it back to me an hour later, saying that it was complete garbage. So that's four years of work and who know how many more years of higher-ed, not to mention school debt, to produce garbage.

No one wants me anymore. My confidence is absolutely shattered. I'm so tired of being told I'm not good enough, that I don't belong, and that every attempt I make earns me nothing. The pain is unbearable, and no one else seems to understand. I'm going to run out of money soon, and when that happens, I may have no choice left but to CTB.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, highlyvolatile, GoodPersonEffed and 6 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
This colleague is ONE PERSON. Is he someone whose character earns trust and respect? Is he supportive or destructive of others? He certainly didn't offer constructive criticism, he asked to see your work and then dismissed and negated it. Seems he intended to do that before he asked, and I'll bet all of this, including your work sample, provided some kind of fuel for him. He sounds like a narcissist/sociopath.

If you're truly concerned, solicit the constructive feedback of those you respect. If you don't know what that kind of feedback looks like, there's a current off topic post about writing. The OP gave a writing sample and I workshopped it just like I would have in a formal writing group.

What your colleague did to you was baiting and abuse. I would guess from what he did that he views you as competition and/or needs new ideas, and your work is damn fine. I'd also guess that he slaughters the good reputations of others and comes out smelling like a rose. Whatever he said about your work, hear the opposite, because that is likely to be far closer to the truth.

By the way, I never bullshit about things like this. I don't say things just to make people feel better.

Reactions: Heady_Cerebrum, highlyvolatile, Skyview and 3 others
W

Wallace

Mar 5, 2020
I appreciate that, but the more we looked at it together, the more I could see that it was right. The criticism was constructive, in that he told me I have a lot of work to do before I am at an acceptable level. He did not do so out spite or any particular desire to be cruel.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I appreciate that, but the more we looked at it together, the more I could see that it was right. The criticism was constructive, in that he told me I have a lot of work to do before I am at an acceptable level. He did not do so out spite or any particular desire to be cruel.

So he didn't say it was complete garbage, that was how you heard it.

Still curious as to why he solicited it, and still recommend getting additional perspectives. Shit, PM it to me! :pfff:

Edit: it's not constructive if he didn't give you guidance for reaching the acceptable level. I still smell bullshit. I hope you'll get outside input from others who don't know him and who you respect and would emulate, as well as those who aren't in the same field but can comprehend it.

Last edited:
NotMeantForHere

NotMeantForHere

I want to go like Marilyn Monroe
Feb 6, 2020
I've been looking for a new job for a while now, well over a year. A colleague of mine asked to review my current work sample, and he turned it back to me an hour later, saying that it was complete garbage. So that's four years of work and who know how many more years of higher-ed, not to mention school debt, to produce garbage.

No one wants me anymore. My confidence is absolutely shattered. I'm so tired of being told I'm not good enough, that I don't belong, and that every attempt I make earns me nothing. The pain is unbearable, and no one else seems to understand. I'm going to run out of money soon, and when that happens, I may have no choice left but to CTB.
I'm so sorry! surely there's got to be hope. Surely someone will hire you. I have a 4 yr degree but I still work in a bakery, do you think you could do something like that..

Jean4

Jean4

Remember. I am ALWAYS right.... until I’m not
Apr 28, 2019
It took me 7 tries to get my thesis ready for my Master's Degree. Perfection takes time. Nobody gets something right the first time. I am glad you got constructive criticism. That makes things so much easier. I handed in my paper and got it back. 7 Times!!!!

I have faith in you. I believe in you. You can do it... and once you do (which you will) imagine the sense of accomplishment you are going to have. Nothing better! :heart:

W

Wallace

Mar 5, 2020
I'm so sorry! surely there's got to be hope. Surely someone will hire you. I have a 4 yr degree but I still work in a bakery, do you think you could do something like that..

I have a doctorate in my field, and I regret every minute of it.

So he didn't say it was complete garbage, that was how you heard it.

Still curious as to why he solicited it, and still recommend getting additional perspectives. Shit, PM it to me! :pfff:

Edit: it's not constructive if he didn't give you guidance for reaching the acceptable level. I still smell bullshit. I hope you'll get outside input from others who don't know him and who you respect and would emulate, as well as those who aren't in the same field but can comprehend it.

His intent was that it was constructive, but there is no real way to get better without actually doing it. It's one of those "you need experience to get a job, you need a job to get experience" circles, with a topping of no one willing to put the time and effort into training the new guy, because they can't bill the client for that time.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: NotMeantForHere and Jean4