Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
well......it says anything although i doubt ill find the help im looking for.

im making a game. im using the software (i think it would be called) from Gdevelop5. yes they have their own forum and i could ask for help there (where im more likely to get a response) but i already tried getting help there but the guy seemed to be getting short with me and now i dont want to so im basically trying to figure it out myself. until i got stumped. you know those mario levels where you cant see and its all dark but theres a light around you and thats all you can see. im trying to make something like that but dont know what code i need to make the light work. i tried searching on the forum to see if anyone asked but i couldnt find anything there. i figured id ask here because if i did find someone theyd understand that they cant get short with me so i figured it was worth a shot for that alone.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, puppy9 and Deleted member 1465
Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
I don't know your software, but if I understood you correctly, your want to be able to see in a radius around you, and for everything else to be black? A black pic with transparent pixels could do the trick.

Last edited:
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I never even thought about how the hell they do that because the map is there but the palette must me all zero,
I guess it is as Pupuce says the front playfield must all be black not transparent expect the area around where your character is you have your transparent set colour showing the map/background behind like a parallax kind if thing.

Reactions: Pupuce
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
There are multiple ways of doing this. However, I'm unfamiliar with the engine you're using. If you had a Unity or Unreal question I could help you out.

Pupuce

Pupuce

Apr 19, 2019
You can use a black picture, but once I did somethign similar for an x-ray you could control with your mouse, and basically you would manually set all pixels to black, and would only draw those necessary with two nested loops. There might be more efficient way to do this, but it worked with canvas on a web browser, so it should be usable for something made for games.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
i think i need to fill this out
This

Pupuce

Pupuce

Apr 19, 2019
If you use the pic, it probably goes in the layers, in front of everything

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020

I was thinking something like this for your front screen.

Your mario in the transparent circle.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall and Pupuce
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
Sounds really cool, make sure to share the progress with us!

Reactions: epic
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
View attachment 42427

I was thinking something like this for your front screen.

Your mario in the transparent circle.
1) how do i make a transparent color?
2) i already thought of this but im not sure its possible. i would need the black to be upfront, the ground in the back. thats the easy part. but then i have to get the light to be in front of the black but behind it to show the ground or something confusing like that.

the way i am currently doing it i have a light sprite the i have moving with the characters. if i can figure out what it wants for X and Y (in the picture i have supplied above) it should be a code to make the ground show up when the light touches it. the problem then would be making it show ONLY that piece of ground which i might be able to do with a bit more testing and coding.

@cryptic__egg yeah i can do that if you would like

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I think that's how I would do it in Java or something so that may not be any use to you :(

but be cool to see what you project is(of-course you don't have too :) )

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
I think that's how I would do it in Java or something so that may not be any use to you :(

but be cool to see what you project is(of-course you don't have too :) )
its just a game for my friend about our life. basic platformer really. i can take screenshots and show you the coding or the game or something. (the game for your own curiosity and the coding so maybe you could be of more help seeing what im working with) although the game isnt close to being done. im on lvl2 out of like 9 and the lvls themselves arent done yet. im more concerned about making it work right now. get the bare bones of it down before i start adding the meat of it lol. i will probably try to make it a little more difficult by adding enemies or something later. his skill lvl is a million times higher then mine, but i have to keep it basic so i can test it and make sure everything is working. i cant test it very well if i die before the game starts lol

IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
I'm gonna have to come clean I've not coded for a couple of years so probably no help at all to you, wish i'd kept at it but might start again in the next week, it's always an interest of mine especially platformers or 16bit style stuff so was surprised and intrigued by your post.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Jul 1, 2020
@IsThisTheEnd? these are my codes. im using a very basic program. honestly it seems like algerbra to me. take the (player2 is moving-set animation of player2 to "walk") for an example. ok i want player2 to walk. so i set the condition (player2 is moving) and then how to make them move. i set the animation on another page (where it just says level _ ) then i come back to this page and set the animation to walking whenever the payer is moving. its like x+y=z. z is the final product and x and y are the conditions and actions. what has to happen for the completed step to happen.

i just dont know what points i need (in the picture above) to make it work
My coding
as you can see i have it set to (at the beginning of the scene-hide layer "hidden layer") so i have the ground hidden. i just need the code to make it show when its suppose to

Last edited:
IsThisTheEnd?

IsThisTheEnd?

Mange
Aug 6, 2020
Nice :) I never knew algebra until I tried to write my first game and yeah it was all X at point and Y at point, I really enjoyed it.