• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
Classical music is my favorite music-genre. It calms my mind and lets me focus on the things I'm doing. I especially enjoy piano compositions from the romantic era.
I am a pianist myself and the feeling of successfully practicing and playing/performing a piece you like to listen to, is one of the best feelings there is.

I feel like the community around classical music is slowly deteriorating, which kind of makes sense, given that the true composers of the romantic era died around 150 years ago. It would be nice to see people/composers trying to replicate the composing-style of the late 19th / early 20th century. It's not like Frederic Chopin drops a new piece "drops" every other week. So, I am kind of running out of pieces to listen to right now.

What are some composers and/or pieces you enjoy personally?

Agon321

Agon321

I use google translate
Aug 21, 2023
My favorite music genre is also classical music. However, I mainly listen to the "modern" one. What I mean here are songs from movies, games, or simply "epic". Maybe I shouldn't exactly call it classical music, but I personally classify it as part of that genre. Of course, I also listen to old composers. My favorite is probably Beethoven. Classical music is very universal and can be listened to in literally any mood. It is honey for the soul and mind.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I find that the only form modern classical music takes is through soundtracks whether from movies or games. I often find myself listening to official symphonies of video game music as well.

Just some examples at least. Maybe real classical music is on a whole other level. I used to listen to the traditional stuff as a kid like Chopin, Mozart, or Stravinsky but as I grew older I became more addicted to more simple melodies and arrangements. I still love the instrumentation style of an orchestra though.

Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
Three 'modern' classical pieces I really like are:

Gabriel's oboe by Ennio Morricone:

I Giorni by Einaudi:

Interstellar Main Theme by Hans Zimmer

Of the older classical pieces, Clarir de Lune by Debussy is definitely one of the most beautiful:

I also love instrumental music by modern bands like Explosions in the Sky, or Sigur Ros.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I'm trying to teach myself Chopin's Prelude in G major. But all the pianists play it at breakneck speed which I may not be able to achieve in this lifetime.

Reactions: sserafim
InversedShadow

InversedShadow

Dec 28, 2023
Truly I can agree, for me especially Mozart's music calms me down and helps me focus on my studies however I do like other composers such as Tchaikovsky ,Bethoven, Chopin or Erik Satie - My preferences really vary on what i need at the moment

GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
I'm trying to teach myself Chopin's Prelude in G major. But all the pianists play it at breakneck speed which I may not be able to achieve in this lifetime.

Don't compare yourself to concert pianists too much. Chopin often takes time, especially if its a concert worthy piece. Seon-Jin Cho is truly a skilled and talented player, not many people will ever be able to reach his level. I believe in you though! Make sure to practice every day.

M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
I love classical music, too. I don't have a favourite piece, there's so many good ones.

Reactions: Ashu and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
Truly I can agree, for me especially Mozart's music calms me down and helps me focus on my studies however I do like other composers such as Tchaikovsky ,Bethoven, Chopin or Erik Satie - My preferences really vary on what i need at the moment
I like Turkish March

• Hugs
Reactions: InversedShadow
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
I usually cannot stand classical/romantic music. I do like some baroque pieces such as by Tommaso Albinoni and Jean-Baptiste Lully... Actually, I apparently enjoy baroque, oops! Chopin's march at Brezhnev's funeral is marvelous, too.

I hate Wagner, Mussorgsky, Bruckner, it's all just noise to me.

Although I do like degenerate minimalist style by Philipp Glass.

B

bonniekeane49

Feb 17, 2024

unfortunately its modern too but this piece gives me the feels

yuma- river flows into you
Pianist and composer Ludovico Einaud is good too

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Don't compare yourself to concert pianists too much. Chopin often takes time, especially if its a concert worthy piece. Seon-Jin Cho is truly a skilled and talented player, not many people will ever be able to reach his level. I believe in you though! Make sure to practice every day.
Thank you and I will take your advice.

My mother was a pianist so Chopin Etudes were constantly ringing out from our household. As an adult, I find myself drawn to them both because they are a window to innocent childhood memories and also, I can't help but marvel endlessly at the miracle that such a young, possibly teenage man was so brilliant as to compose them. It's hard not to conclude he was merely channeling some otherworldly source.

Here are my favourites. I would be interested if you have any.
Opus 10, No 4 performed by Valentina Lisitsa. This rendition is truly a heart-stopping inferno.

Opus 25, No 9 by Pollini. A delicate yet powerful interpretation.

Opus 25, No 1 by Paul Barton. I can almost play this but could never get the end right.

Opus 10, No 1; Seong Jin Cho again. I know all the arpeggios intimately but playing it with any accuracy is still far beyond me.

Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
Finally! I absolutely love Classical Music ever since a friend got introduced me to it at high school. It's perhaps the only thing that gives me some kind of solace nowadays. Mahler, Brahms, Ravel, Strauss, Wagner, Bach and Mozart are my favourite composers. Some of my prefered pieces:

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023

Lol hopefully that's me in my next life
I usually cannot stand classical/romantic music. I do like some baroque pieces such as by Tommaso Albinoni and Jean-Baptiste Lully... Actually, I apparently enjoy baroque, oops! Chopin's march at Brezhnev's funeral is marvelous, too.

I hate Wagner, Mussorgsky, Bruckner, it's all just noise to me.

Although I do like degenerate minimalist style by Philipp Glass.
Why not?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Pluto
GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
Here are my favourites. I would be interested if you have any.
Sure!
Here are my favourites from Chopin:

Etude op. 25 nr. 12 in C minor - Playing this makes me feel incredible. It's a nice show-off piece and shows many strong emotions.

Ballade op. 52 nr. 4 in F minor - I have tried to master this piece for some time now, but I've been unable to even approach the crazy polyphony (starting at timestamp 3:11)

Piano concerto no. 1 in E minor op. 11 (I allegro maestoso & III Rondo) I always get goosebumps while listening to this one. The best parts are by far at 14:00 and 31:25 (sadly, poor Rafal messed a little up here.)

And 3 of his famous Polonaises. I completed both Polonaise op. 53 in A-Flat major "Heroique" ()
and Polonaise op. 40 nr. 1 in A major "Military"
()
I'm still eagerly bringing my practise of Polonaise op. 44 in F-Sharp minor. This one is for sure my current favourite.
()

My all time favourite for sure Sonata in B minor by Franz Lizst (S.178).

Please listen to 15:40 and 25:50 - I get goosebumps every single time and I know my life will be complete, if I ever come so far and master this absolute beautiful monstrosity by Liszt.

I could keep talking about this topic for ever and ever. It's nice to have a place to talk about classical music! I hope you can enjoy some of the stuff I frequently listen to.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and Pluto
Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
Modern music still somewhat scares me, but this concerto is surprisingly endearing.

garbagekan

garbagekan

May 5, 2023
Classical music is my favorite music-genre. It calms my mind and lets me focus on the things I'm doing. I especially enjoy piano compositions from the romantic era.
I am a pianist myself and the feeling of successfully practicing and playing/performing a piece you like to listen to, is one of the best feelings there is.

I feel like the community around classical music is slowly deteriorating, which kind of makes sense, given that the true composers of the romantic era died around 150 years ago. It would be nice to see people/composers trying to replicate the composing-style of the late 19th / early 20th century. It's not like Frederic Chopin drops a new piece "drops" every other week. So, I am kind of running out of pieces to listen to right now.

What are some composers and/or pieces you enjoy personally?
i wouldnt worry about classical music dying at all. i have many band friends and almost everyone ive met has liked classical music in some form. u might be searching in the wrong places like i love listening to soundtracks of games or shows i love and they have beautiful orchestras. but they might not be the style your looking for lol anyway these are my favs:)

my band played danzon no. 2 and it was rlly fun if you wanna listen to that. cello concerto no. 1 in e-flat major op. 107 allegro and allegro con moto by Han-Na Chang are both one of my fav pieces. i love listening to Ravel and Tchaikovsky.

but tbh my favorite orchestral music has come from the genshin soundtrack its vry beautiful:3

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Western classical has always been my favorite music, though for some months I've been listening mostly to my fellow Canadian Avril Lavigne, because I'm in love with her.

the_path_of_sorrows

the_path_of_sorrows

Different routes, same destination
Nov 26, 2023
Great choices! As a pianist myself, I get what you mean. But when you said that perfecting the piece is the best feeling, I might as well disagree, there are some insanely good recorded interpretations that make me respect the composer so much I could never let myself play that piece to not destroy the perfect sound lol.

The most pronounced example of this is my all time favorite piece by Schumann; his Homoreske played by Radu Lupu. Always makes me cry:

Also, I will never get over this performance:

I could never forget these orchestral pieces as my greatest recommendations:

Reactions: Namarupa