M

MaJo!

Aug 12, 2024
Hi, so I am 100% sure that I wanna move on. I just want to do it without feeling any pain, so I have decided to do it with charcoal.

I live in a pretty big house, which I have for myself.

I have a hobby room (no windows, just one door), where I plan to do it. So it should be easy to seal it off.

The room is quite big (25 m2), so I plan to buy 2-3 bags of 9kg charcoal (18-27 kg in total) and dump it in 2 wheelbarrows, which I will put in the room, once the charcoal is ready to do their "job".

Then I will also purchase a PPM-monitor (it only goes up to 6000 PPM, but I guess 5-10 minutes after it reaches this level, everything should be fine).

So, my questions are:

1) Do you think 18-27 kg will be enough for a room this size? Its 2-3 big bags.
2) When are the charcoal "ready". After the smokes goes out, and they turn grey? I plan to fire them up outside, and then bring it all inside afterwards to avoid smoke etc.
3) Is there any kind of charcoal to prefer - and any kind to avoid?

Thanks

A

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
For educational purposes:

1. Do the math based on room size. At least (MINIMUM) 135 g of coal per cubic meters of room air but would suggest doing 3x that amount to be safe.
2. Charcoal is ready when it is glowing red hot. Not sure if by grey you meant still burning red hot and white but they should still be glowing.
3. 100% carbon lump charcoal and a high quality brand.

As for PPM, it is recommended that the CO concentration be 1%, or a minimum of 10000 PPM (parts per million). Should be 10,000PPM. If it reaches 12.500 ppm, loss of consciousness would happen immediately and death within 1-3 minutes.

There's the Megathread and a guide and once you unlock the search feature, would suggest you do some more research as well:

A smaller room or pop up tent well sealed may be a little more reliable. This is not to encourage or suggest the viability of anything but just to answer your questions for information.

I hope you find everything you are looking for and find peace & serenity.