• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

twinklywater

twinklywater

You’re the sunlight that reflects off the waves.
Mar 26, 2023
Do you think people's adamancy on anti-CTB pro-life ideologies are fuelled by capitalism? Would people be so against suicide if systems of power didn't need people to stay alive for labour?

• Love
Reactions: SexyIncél
Dr.Sleep (Im tired)

Dr.Sleep (Im tired)

Ave Maria
Feb 26, 2023
what you're thinking of is fascistic communism. That is where they exploit the general will of the people for state gain. Even political prisoners, they get sent to labor camps.

warmsand

warmsand

cool
Mar 26, 2023
i don't think so necessarily; the average person isn't suicidal, so it wouldn't make sense for capitalism to be the root cause of anti-CTB. i think it's just people with low sympathy (those who've never experienced a depressed/suicidal mindset and don't understand suicidal people) who adhere to an anti-CTB ideology to feel better about themselves. "don't kill yourself, you have so much to live for!" --> "i just saved this person's life, therefore i'm a great person."

it's rooted in selfishness inherently. which could be tied back to capitalism, but not for issues of labor.

moonchildren

moonchildren

Mar 26, 2023
i think it's overly simplistic to lay the entirety of the blame at the feet of capitalism, but at the same time, it has long since been a parasite.

it tacks on value on us for being 'alive' and for being a 'productive' participating member of society, creates material conditions so we can 'endure' and 'live for something' while also being oppressive and alienating and systematically depriving us of necessary resources. it's a bit of a paradox, basically. espousing pro-life/anti-CTB talking points so the system benefits while it damns us to all to hell.

definitely of the opinion that it's shaped mainstream perceptions of suicide, and fundamentally changing it might not necessarily improve things, but can be a start.

Last edited:
L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
Capitalism is definitely one of the more recent drivers of anti-CTB sentiment. I think most of this 'life is a gift' nonsense is rooted in western religion and human fear of death. In a lot of other cultures, CTB wasn't frowned upon at all. The Romans didn't frown upon it, nor did a lot of ancient societies. Capitalism takes advantage of this fact and tries to associate 'living your best life' with consumption, producing for corporations, and striving for more. THESE are what make life worth living. Suicidality, of course, hinders one from seeing the value in these things. Therefore, this person won't strive for 'living their best life'. So, capitalism does have a hand in the censorship of CTB.

T

The Unpenetrated

Mar 1, 2023
Ironically, capitalism is also the fuel of so many suicides, dare I say most suicides (wage slavery, lack of physicial and mental healthcare, poverty and homelessness, advertisement and social media "influencers" promoting self inadequacy, extreme income and wealth inequality, debt, business failures, and many many many many more)