• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I used to do a lot of creative writing, short stories, poetry, little books that were a few thousand words, that sort of thing. I don't know what happened. Within the past year or two I just stopped being able to write like I used to. The words don't "flow" anymore.

I'm trying to work on something currently but the sentences just aren't stringing together. It's all so clunky and disjointed.

No amount of edits or rewrites can fix it. I'm just not satisfied with anything I create. Even my ideas are fewer and further in between.

It's stupid but I miss being able to write. My hobby has turned into another source of frustration and stress.

Fuck.

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
Much of my professional life involves writing. Over the past 30 years I've published over 100 works, ranging from newspaper columns, professional journal articles, encyclopedia entries, to books.

I've gone through dry periods, most notably in the mid 2000s where I published maybe only 1 piece in two or three years, vs 3 to 5 pieces per year.

I'm presently trying to finish another book, though emotional and health issues are major distractions.

What I can say is trust that it's still inside you. You can take a breather and get back to it when it feels right. Or, you can stimulate your writing by reading relevant material.

Personally, I usually find reading relevant material drives new insights and helps organize my thoughts.

In short, IF you want to get back to writing, then read in the same genre and topic.

Reactions: Pluto and Ashu
meltdown

meltdown

Throw up in your plate
Dec 15, 2023
How can you trust that it's still there? What if it's just lost to time?
If the spark was there it will return, sure enough! It's really like a faith thing. You can force it awake sometimes too though.

Reactions: Ashu
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
If writing is a new thing for you, maybe it was just a passing hobby. If it is deep enough inside you to be part of your life long-term, it will be back.

You may not know. But, again, you can work at bringing it back by reading in the area you were writing. Try it for a few hours when you're wide awake and in a non-distracting environment. Let us know how it turns out.

R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
I used to write back in the day and listened to music a lot, now I don't. I don't miss it personally but I can still appreciate good word play and metaphors if I stumble upon them.

Maybe you don't like it anymore but want to because of the habit? I am just assuming ofc it could also be something else. Hopefully you get your inspiration back or find another source of fulfilment.

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
I used to do a lot of creative writing, short stories, poetry, little books that were a few thousand words, that sort of thing. I don't know what happened. Within the past year or two I just stopped being able to write like I used to. The words don't "flow" anymore.

I'm trying to work on something currently but the sentences just aren't stringing together. It's all so clunky and disjointed.

No amount of edits or rewrites can fix it. I'm just not satisfied with anything I create. Even my ideas are fewer and further in between.

It's stupid but I miss being able to write. My hobby has turned into another source of frustration and stress.

Fuck.
I'm a writer too, a novelist. I counsel you to keep writing even if you have to force yourself, even if it's less than a sentence a day. It's lifebreath for us.
If you're a writer and you're fighting not to totally lose the will to live, then forget talent, forget the end product. Sit for an hour every day, and write whatever you can, even if it's less than a single line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapière
nux_walpurgis

nux_walpurgis

Oct 18, 2023

Fuck.

I get this so so much. I am so sorry, I know this must be an awful feeling.

I have creative writing as a hobby, I have also written stories with hundrends of pages. But the last few months, I just can't I don't know what is wrong with me. I have no ideas, amd when I get down to write I am able to do it only for 1-2 hours, while before I could be writing for hours and days on end. I feel hopeless. My hobby, my safe little space, something that gave me joy, has turned into a chore. I don't know what my life has turned into anymore

Reactions: meltdown