• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

jojobanana

Oct 8, 2023
Hi! Can anyone tell me about MAID in Canada and how assisted suicide works there for mental health? Is it possible for someone who has immigrated from abroad like the UK to access?

Reactions: dggtscccvfd
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
MAID currently only helps people with chronic/terminal physical illnesses at the moment; they'll only see people with mental health issues starting in 2027, unfortunately.
No. They said it was March 2024 before. Then they switched it to 2027. Its just gonna get delayed again

Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov
beetle

beetle

Mar 28, 2024
No. They said it was March 2024 before. Then they switched it to 2027. Its just gonna get delayed again
Yeah, I just didn't think it was necessary to include the March 2024 date since it ended up not happening anyways. I do hope they don't end up delaying it any further…

J

Jorms_McGander

Arcanist
Oct 17, 2023
that really sucks! do you know why it was delayed?
IMHO it's because only one of the members [there's eight or ten I forget] on the board has lived experience with mental illness.

In addition to that, it's a pretty novel concept and Canada is being inundated by disinformation at a grassroots level so I assume some of that exists at higher levels of society as well.

There are also real and practical reasons why taking our time is important. Imagine the consequences of a shoddy application.

In 2027 we will hear another ruling from this council without enough lived experience with mental illness. Hopefully it's in the favour of right-to-die. To be honest, with the amount of disinformation, I'm not open to the idea of the Canadian healthcare system accepting suicide tourism. It's not my decision, of course. But if we get this right it will be by the skin of our teeth and I've already mentioned the disinformation... suicide tourism will give ammunition to people who care to meddle in others' lives.

edit: I mean, this post's existence at all speaks to the disinformation. We are discussing the practical application of human rights here and euthanasia is still "respectfully" hard to access-- as to whether or not that is respectful, as long as society leans the way it does, then respect remains where it is. Canada has a lot of religiously conservative history, just different from the USA. There is also a fair amount of social conservatism. You'd have to know us ;-)

Last edited:
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Yeah, I just didn't think it was necessary to include the March 2024 date since it ended up not happening anyways. I do hope they don't end up delaying it any further…
It won't be implimented. Nothing is stopping them from delaying it again in 2027. Its most likely not happening.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
They are delaying it to 2027 and it'll only be available to those eligible for healthcare services funded by the provincial/territorial governments or by the federal government. Basically, MAID isn't available to foreigners, only Canadians and permanent residents.