Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Sobriety over everything else • 30 • Midwest
Mar 24, 2021
I've been watching videos where people are reacting to Easter eggs in the new Five Nights at Freddy's game, and something about the pure joy they express over something that is so insignificant makes my blood boil. I feel like Scrooge with the whole "no one else is allowed to have fun" mentality, but I think it really comes down to envy at how they are able to derive happiness from something that seems meaningless to me.

I feel the same way about people who get excited about character cameos in Marvel movies, and seeing them cream themselves when fan service moments happen and old characters appear.

I really wish it was that easy to make me smile, and I wish I could watch a movie and be grinning and chatting excitedly about the characters and lore, but none of it seems important at all. It's so unbelievably meaningless to me when I'm dealing with so much existential dread.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Grav, deleted, chocolatebar and 10 others
W

WilNord

Student
Dec 17, 2021
Not anymore. When I watch or play I get reminded how worthless it is as it's practically a form of escapism that leads to nowhere, at least studying medicine, computer science/coding, physics, chemistry, law, business or even committing suicide provides an end goal that would be accomplished (Wealth, success, escaping this hell, etc). I don't envy those that derive massive enjoyment from them, I pity them, especially when you look at the actual state of the world and how it really works and see that these forms of entertainment are lies and illusions.
I also hate how 'realistic' and 'meta' modern entertainment has become with main characters being used in real life serious settings like Latin American crisises, massive corporations making meta self deprecating jabs at evil corporations or random normal people having massive political/social goals and ideas, the latter two meta commentaries then lead to people in real life acting deep/philosophical/political/etc as they talk big word before indulging in marvel movies and games then screaming at character cameos like they're 5 years old.
I myself am a fucking idiot as well and as a result of that I cannot express every bit of what I want to say in words, my opinion is more visual and verbal perhaps because of years of chasing enjoyment from movies and games like a dog chasing a stick

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, demuic and Anxieyote
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I can't get enjoyment from games anymore.

I can occasionally from movies, but only my favourite movies.

Reactions: demuic and Dr Iron Arc
LingeringUnreal

LingeringUnreal

dumb of ass
Dec 14, 2021
The enjoyment I get out of things I think is less like, passionate excitement and more repetitive motions that are like self soothing. Which is why I re-watch the same shows endlessly, play games like Loop Hero over and over for hours, and generally just view it as more of a distracting task than an enjoyable hobby if that makes sense. Not totally passionless, but just very "muted".

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, Bahbah Blacksheep, Anxieyote and 1 other person
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Never liked movies, but I do enjoy games and play a large variety of them, all casual games. Puzzles, minesweeper, coloring games, etc.

I'm even GM of a guild in another game. We have 30 members and I keep stuff running, make sure they meet all weekly requirements, etc. Sometimes I get frustrated with slacking members, but overall I enjoy the "job".

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Surprisingly I can but my tastes in those things are fairly specific. I'm one of those folks who cream themselves over Marvel movies but that's because I find that almost every other movie that isn't Marvel has been extremely disappointing or bland lately. At least with Marvel, when a movie does suck it still feels worth watching because it will probably (hopefully) pay off later, just like Avengers 2 did for me. Other studios don't even come close to the level of consistency Marvel has which is something I value because I can't really find it anywhere else in entertainment. I am excited for the next Jurassic Park movie though which should come out next year and once I see it, I will finally feel ready to die. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

With games, I can only get excited over certain Nintendo things. Like with the newest Pokémon games I don't really care that they were fairly low-effort ""remakes"". It still felt good to experience this sort of nostalgia again with a video game.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter. All of these are distractions and while they're the only reasons I can enjoy staying in reality, they achieve this by allowing me to escape reality in the first place but the true reality is that the more I consume them, the less able I am to get to fully experience these things. What's the point of being excited for games when I'm not going to have time to play them because I'm slaving away at some dumb job just to afford these things?

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Like with eating or drinking, my brain must get something out of it (to keep repeating the behavior) without me consciously feeling pleasure. So I don't feel any pleasure from it but still end up gaming a lot.

O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
Yeah. I can't derive joy from easter eggs or marvel movies, I don't cream myself or get excited about new content, but I think I get pleasure from games and movies.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
I also hate how 'realistic' and 'meta' modern entertainment has become with main characters being used in real life serious settings like Latin American crisises, massive corporations making meta self deprecating jabs at evil corporations or random normal people having massive political/social goals and ideas, the latter two meta commentaries then lead to people in real life acting deep/philosophical/political/etc as they talk big word before indulging in marvel movies and games then screaming at character cameos like they're 5 years old.
It's very unsettling. As long as mega corporations do a little wink and a nod, people breath a sigh of relief, as if it's not their intentions to take advantage and maximize profits, but to be a relatable friend.

I saw the new Spider-Man movie with an acquaintance recently, and there was a commercial for M&M's before it started, and the red M&M said something like, "None of this matters, because we're in a commercial, aren't we?" And all of his M&M friends stare at the camera to break the 4th wall. And the audience is supposed to go "haha, M&M company knows they are advertising to us haha, they're just like us." It's really disturbing to think that it probably works in a psychological sense.

And you're also correct about movies granting average people much more importance than they would ever have in a real-life setting. It makes underachieving people feel included, like they will one day have their moment of importance in the grander scheme and justify their existence.

• Love
Reactions: demuic
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
I've been watching videos where people are reacting to Easter eggs in the new Five Nights at Freddy's game, and something about the pure joy they express over something that is so insignificant makes my blood boil. I feel like Scrooge with the whole "no one else is allowed to have fun" mentality, but I think it really comes down to envy at how they are able to derive happiness from something that seems meaningless to me.

I feel the same way about people who get excited about character cameos in Marvel movies, and seeing them cream themselves when fan service moments happen and old characters appear.

I really wish it was that easy to make me smile, and I wish I could watch a movie and be grinning and chatting excitedly about the characters and lore, but none of it seems important at all. It's so unbelievably meaningless to me when I'm dealing with so much existential dread.
I find it hard to concent on movies; depression and my smart phone. I'm happy for people to enjoy things; I'm miserable that doesn't mean I want others to be miserable as well

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021

Watch Ingmar Bergman's movies, they're so infused with existential dread that they might paradoxically help you deal with it better.

I still derive pleasure from reading books. They contain nothing but words, you have to imagine all the pictures. :O Yes, I'm that old.

• Hugs
Reactions: Shadowplay
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
Watch Ingmar Bergman's movies, they're so infused with existential dread that they might paradoxically help you deal with it better.

I still derive pleasure from reading books. They contain nothing but words, you have to imagine all the pictures. :O Yes, I'm that old.
Bergman films are works of art pure and simple, but just the sort of thing I can no longer concentrate on. 😶😤😢😥

• Aww..
Reactions: motel rooms
R

rationalis

Student
Nov 25, 2021
I have never seen a marvel movie - or any movie for years - and have never played a video game. I have never wanted to escape from reality, and still think paying big companies to pretend to escape reality is a contradiction.

Though I do now understand why people like to pretend reality doesn't exist.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
As many of you, I don't find much interest in movies and video games - partly because they have caused some of the problems that I'm facing now as an adult - but also because new movies and video games aren't much different from what came before.

If you have watched "Cool Movie #1", you have basically already seen "Cool Movie #2 through #10" - the same goes for video games.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilNord, demuic, Anxieyote and 1 other person
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I do get pleasure from movies and games, but not like I used to. I don't game or watch movies often though. I prefer listening to music or ambient sounds. Life is just one big distraction.

Reactions: Shadowplay and demuic
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
I can't bring myself to watch TV shows or movies anymore but 90% of them are shit anyway especially nowadays so that makes it easier. I spend most of my time playing games but it's not really enjoyable. It's just a way to pass the time. I pretty much just play the same games I've liked for years over and over. If I start something new I'll quickly lose interest. I also read a lot. But only relatively short stories.

I have practiced escapism most of my life as I have never wanted to exist in this world. There is something compelling about stories to me as they have a beginning, middle, and end. Everything has a purpose and a reason, unlike real life. In a video game, with enough work or the right guidance you can ultimately suceed, also unlike real life. In stories, there is usually a theme being conveyed through a microcosm of an alternate reality. The creator's vision is like a portal to another world where they are the god and their beliefs are reified.

Popular media is mostly soulless and too afraid to do anything daring because the main concern is making money, so they have to appeal to the lowest common demoninator and endlessly recyle the same tiresome concepts. I don't get gratification from that. But there are a few pieces of media I've witnessed throughout my life that have been compelling to me. My interests are quite niche. Very few things manage to put an interesting spin on countlessly redone concepts, so I don't seek out new things. Creativity and innovation is stifled by the need for profit.

• Love
Reactions: Snake of Eden, TooConscious, Anxieyote and 1 other person
Sanva

Sanva

:/
Dec 10, 2021
i don't think i feel enjoyment, it's more like i get so absorbed into it sometimes that i stop feeling anything which is better than my normal state

• Love
Reactions: demuic and Anxieyote
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Used to, but lost the capacity over the last decade or so.

T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
It's scary how I used to love movies but now I can't trust anythig unaware of what has an agenda to plant seeds in my mind. I find little of worth in this life other than perhaps connection to other people which is off limits to me but my constant battle is to not suffer because then I'm giving the creators what they want. And remain still and empty of thought.

Reactions: demuic and Anxieyote
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I've watched 'VENOM' 25 time's and am actually looking forward to getting Venom 2 on DVD when it's released in 2022, l have a DVD Collection amounting to 857 DVD's at this time, mainly Sci-fi and Horror with a Dozen or so 'Doggy' film's and some Animated films, a extensive agriculture collection consisting of around 225 1.32 scale Farm models like Tractors, LAND ROVER'S, Combine Harvesters, Slurry Tanker's, Rotaspreaders, Hay Balers, 8-bale Sledges, flat eight loader grabs, Trailers, 5 Quad bikes, 100 Ford Cars from the 80's, WW2 military Machines, Tanks, jeeps, LFTs, artillery cannons, l do enjoy collecting stuff l have a interest in with the intention of willing it all to the Dog's Trust so they can Auction it all off to the public to raise funds for themselves to help look after the Doggy's and Kitty's in their care!!! You are welcome to laugh all you wish But this is my way of doing something with purpose that l enjoy that hopefully will have a positive outcome!!! IMG 20210205 114918 5745 IMG 20210131 112355 8812 IMG 20210131 113303 417 IMG 20210131 113235 9642

Last edited:
Reactions: demuic, Julgran, Lost Magic and 1 other person
maakies

maakies

DOOK
Dec 7, 2021
I work in movies, and my partner works in video games. I do not derive enjoyment from these things as a result. It's all work and research to me. My pleasure comes from food and drink.

That being said — Disco Elysium is a really good game for the CTB minded. I highly recommend it. You play something of a pro-choice character, hah. No combat in the game and it's very story-driven.

I wrote my thesis on Bergman and Tarkovsky and the making of The Sacrifice. What a trip Bergman is.

• Yay!
Reactions: Shadowplay
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
I work in movies, and my partner works in video games. I do not derive enjoyment from these things as a result. It's all work and research to me. My pleasure comes from food and drink.

That being said — Disco Elysium is a really good game for the CTB minded. I highly recommend it. You play something of a pro-choice character, hah. No combat in the game and it's very story-driven.

I wrote my thesis on Bergman and Tarkovsky and the making of The Sacrifice. What a trip Bergman is.
Oh man that is based!

B

Bleak

Student
Nov 10, 2021
Not very much although I still go through the motions to pass time. I get what you mean about the utterly meaningless feeling... When my Dad talks about sports, cars, or gadgets I too get the feeling of how can anyone care about this at all... I don't grudge people their excitement though and I remember feeling it about a lot of things as a child.

Reactions: LONE WOLF.
I

idiotstillwantstodie

Student
Nov 11, 2021
Games, not really. Maybe for a moment or two but it's just like doing drugs or alcohol, the hangover (shame) comes and the whole experience is pretty much nullified. I feel ashamed about gaming because i used to escape my problems through videogames a lot when i was younger. They really helped me to forget my existence and as i have gotten older i've realized how unhealthy that was and how fucked up it was that nobody really helped me with my problems then.

Movies and TV, they are less time consuming so yes, i do get enjoyment from them.

Reactions: Julgran and Anxieyote
Anxieyote

Anxieyote

Mar 24, 2021
I feel ashamed about gaming because i used to escape my problems through videogames a lot when i was younger. They really helped me to forget my existence and as i have gotten older i've realized how unhealthy that was and how fucked up it was that nobody really helped me with my problems then.
This is a great point to bring up. When I look back on the enjoyment I've derived from games, there's another memory attached to them as well—the memory of sitting alone in my parent's basement for hours (or days) at a time.

There's a lot of resentment and hard feelings there. I wish I could go back in time and ask my parents "Why did you let me spend entire summers in the basement alone? Why didn't you say something?"

No amount of fun I had playing Super Mario or Yoshi's Island was worth the consequences of not living life while I was young.

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, Julgran and idiotstillwantstodie
I

idiotstillwantstodie

Student
Nov 11, 2021
This is a great point to bring up. When I look back on the enjoyment I've derived from games, there's another memory attached to them as well—the memory of sitting alone in my parent's basement for hours (or days) at a time.

There's a lot of resentment and hard feelings there. I wish I could go back in time and ask my parents "Why did you let me spend entire summers in the basement alone? Why didn't you say something?"

No amount of fun I had playing Super Mario or Yoshi's Island was worth the consequences of not living life while I was young.
I ask the same although i already know the answer. It was easier for them that way. They abandoned me on that computer.

Then again, i would probably hate them just the same if they kicked me out and told me to find a job.

Reactions: demuic, Julgran, Anxieyote and 1 other person
Hirokami

Hirokami

Out of order
Feb 21, 2021
Enjoyment? Maybe in a sense where I could escape from all the bullshit that's in my life on a day-to-day basis. Even then, I usually just play FFXIV these days. Other games if my friends make me play with them. Haven't really been watching a lot of movies as of late, though. Then again, I was never really a movie person.

E

EliphasBlackwood

Nov 27, 2021
Not for a good while. Well thats not true. I did have decent time watching the new Dune movie. But games.. Man I can't even remember the last time I actually enjoyed playing a game.

Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
I enjoy watching cjugames on youtube playing horror games mostly indie titles. It feels like I am playing only by a better gamer and he has great sense of humor poking fun at the games. Highly recommend

• Informative
Reactions: Anxieyote