Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I don’t think you can buy happiness.

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
R

rt1989526

Paragon
Aug 2, 2020
That's such a lie and you know it. A person's life can be made 100x easier with the right amount of money. It could easily help somebody with even the worst emotional and physical pain get by another day. Obviously, it won't cure your issues, but it WILL make dealing with them far more obtainable.

Yes and I did say it would reduce the misery. But will you be truly HAPPY? Not necessarily. If I was a billionaire I'd still have BPD, anhedonia, PSSD and all my other untreatable bullshit the only difference is I wouldn't have to work a shitty ass job. Still wouldn't be happy.

• Love
Reactions: puppy9, Stolen Absolution and the witch’s lament
Sinkinshyp

Sinkinshyp

Paragon
Sep 7, 2020
my old self may have said yes, when my drug use was consistent with the self medication of addictive and often expensive substances. I have spent my money on material things I am attached to. car, clothes, vinyl records, sunglasses etc.
but nothing fills the void, and necessities and collections are not what I imagine when people say 'money buys happiness.' I don't have much money either but I do have the aforementioned things and a roof over my head.

just got recent news that my family is receiving a financial settlement from the federal government. someone in my family died of cancer that was a result of 30 years of working near radioactive material in a government facility. his death was 25 years ago, but the government is only just now accepting the responsibility of removing said materials from the site. and the state, as well as those affected by the radiation, are receiving settlements. I am being purposefully vague, but if you are curious about similar settlements look into EEOICPA.

my CTB has felt close for a while. but the entitlement benefits will be realized beginning/middle of next year. I could change some things. get a new place, have more solid ground for paying tuition, or even get access to treatments I once was not able to afford. can money make me happy? should I at least wait to receive a portion before passing? has anything you bought drastically made changes in your life which led to happiness?

this right here "even get access to treatments I once was not able to afford" is worth waiting on the settlement for and seeing what treatment does for you. If you can get treatment you are unable to access right now due to finances it's worth waiting to see if that treatment will help you.

• Hugs
Reactions: the witch’s lament
the witch’s lament

the witch’s lament

Sep 5, 2020
this right here "even get access to treatments I once was not able to afford" is worth waiting on the settlement for and seeing what treatment does for you. If you can get treatment you are unable to access right now due to finances it's worth waiting to see if that treatment will help you.
thank you for your response. not many have connected their viewpoint to my story so I appreciate you taking the time. :heart:

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and Sinkinshyp
PJFord

PJFord

Student
Jul 27, 2020
Money can solve lots of problems and definitely reduce stress. Two years ago I received a very nice inheritance from my parents. My stress about living paycheck to paycheck vanished, I paid off tens of thousands of dollars in credit card debt in one day and today have zero debt, bought a new car with cash. And yet, I'm still standing at the bus stop waiting to CTB. Massive debt may have been a primary CTB reason for me in the past, its not today. But if I had more cash, I would pursue some job or volunteer interests that help people and are more fulfilling than the soulless, life-sucking career I had before I resigned a couple months ago. I'd still live with my lousy decision-making skills, but yes I believe I'd be happier, and have no doubt I'd CTB at some point.

muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I don't think money can buy happiness. But, I think that money can offer access to an easier life, which can allow people to focus less on material concerns and survival issues and more on their interests, passions, and desires

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Ghost2211 and the witch’s lament
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
Nope. Not for me. Maybe a Lamborghini brings true happiness to some, but there is nothing material I could ever get that would make life worth it because life is not about amassing "things." "Success" is not having a gaudy warehouse full of gold crap that has no function.

I don't want to be crucified so please... There are a lot of people that hate people who use benefits. I am disabled and can't work, so my only option was to apply because "as a human, I need money to exist." I live with family, and after the humiliating and grueling four-year process that is trying to get financial help, despite trying to push them to allow me to handle more of my finances, they say "no no I'll help pay some of your bills it's okay." So I have a bit of disposable income from the extra. I know it's coming from someone else so I try my best to always keep this in mind.

I have some points where I am so low, miserable and desperate for something to distract me and take some of the pain away, I'll get a luxury for myself (nothing that big but more than a stable person might spend on such a thing). I am fortunate that my family insists on helping because there are things I'm able to get, during a time where a lot of people can't buy enough to eat. It really hurts immensely. When I treat myself with something when I have these really bad moments, it's still never enough to get rid of all the other problems I'm dealing with. Sometimes, it is nice to have a new shiny toy for a week but no amount of money stops life from being life. I always end up with even more self-loathing and anger at myself for thinking it would help

Last edited:
  • Hugs
kyubi

kyubi

Sep 17, 2020
As someone said before, money can reduce stress and it's really nice not having to worry about financial things. I can say for myself, I have good amount of money and I don't have to work, but I am also very lonely and lately lost the person I loved the most, so now money is totally meaningless for me. Love was the only source of happiness in my life.

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and the witch’s lament
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
If it did then rich people and celebrities would never CTB or have mental health problems.

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
thank you for your response. not many have connected their viewpoint to my story so I appreciate you taking the time. :heart:

I apologize for not doing so in my post :notsure: I think everyone just has strong views they want to get out as soon as they read the title. It's not that people are trying to ignore you.

To comment more directly on your post, as others have said, some financial burdens can become easier of course. I think if you have debt collectors breathing down your neck and you win the lottery, that will greatly improve your quality of life. Is that happiness? I don't know.

I think the ultimate answer to the question changes for every person considering their own circumstances, values, and challenges. For example, if one was born in a wealthy neighborhood where every family has a Ferrari or Lambo, you might feel like a black sheep and even be insulted or looked down upon if you only have a mid-tier BMW. You might always be unhappy until you meet the status quo and have the same as everyone else. I think if you can achieve similar status as your peers, money can enable you to do this and feel more normal and content.

If someone was severely emotionally neglected or abused growing up, they might have a very strong need to overcompensate. They might never feel like they have value unless they have far more than anyone else, and always need to talk about how much better they are. For people with such an immense hunger for acknowledgement, it is hard to know whether that can ever be sated. I will be frank and candid, but in different paradigms, I can identify similar needs such as this that I have (that are not monetary but I think the point stands) and I can at least share my experience in regards to this.

I don't know if you play any video games so I will give a little background, but in "MMOs," social games where there are large worlds to travel across, one of the major mechanics are "mounts." They are simply just vehicles you use to get around and most people are on one at any given time so it turns into a status thing. For simplicity let's say by doing a hard fight 1,000 times, you can get a huge dragon while most other people are on regular small horses.

In my own life, I have been extremely lonely and there was one of these that I metaphorically killed myself for, doing something absurdly masochistic to get one that has an acquisition rate somewhere in the range of 5-15 per 30,000 people. Honestly, I know myself well enough that one of the reasons I probably worked so hard for it is because I wanted to feel like there was some reason to like me, but even with this extremely rare thing I still always feel inadequate and inferior.

I think this translates into things involving money. A lot of it will depend on your upbringing or your life experiences and on the wounds that you have been dealt in your own life.

Last edited:
  • Love
F

fox21132113

Student
Sep 8, 2020
I'm not that focused on money. I have enough, but obviously BPD has a deep pocket that can't be filled.

• Hugs
Reactions: puppy9, the witch’s lament and Ghost2211
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I think it can buy a kind of 'happiness' but not true happiness. I know it makes life easier but it could not buy me the non materialistic things I would love to have. No amount of money could.

• Love
miseryh8scompany

miseryh8scompany

Student
Dec 20, 2019
no, I have money and can't cure my illness with it. I can buy drugs to numb myself and eventually ctb with, but that's about it

• Love
Reactions: puppy9 and the witch’s lament
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
It varies for people but I think money in the long run can't buy happiness. Just look at any celebrity that's committed suicide like Marilyn Monroe. Same goes for me, I buy video games, clothes and other shit that doesn't make me happy no matter what.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, demuic and 2 others
puppy9

puppy9

au revoir
Jun 13, 2019
Yes a short burst of happiness. Happiness is not suppose to be a long term thing. You're not supposed to be happy forever 24/7/365; it would be creepy. But it can't buy fulfillment. Just my 2 cents

• Hugs
L

Life_is_comedy

Sep 14, 2020
View attachment 45536View attachment 45537
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/attachments/external-content-duc8kduckgo-com-jpeg.45538/?hash=f76a1af39e16f393cc3cf0cc54d28171 ye........
This is a chicken and egg question. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Were they happy in the first place that made them successful and BECOME rich or did they become rich THEN make them happy? See, statistics like these are vague and can be manipulated to put forth a narrative. There are too many variables overlooked and not quantified when you're just looking at numbers.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
BerryCakes

BerryCakes

Local Case Study
Sep 20, 2020
This is a chicken and egg question. Correlation doesn't imply causation.

Were they happy in the first place that made them successful and BECOME rich or did they become rich THEN make them happy? See, statistics like these are vague and can be manipulated to put forth a narrative. There are too many variables overlooked and not quantified when you're just looking at numbers.
You know what? You're right.

I won't lie, though. Being homeless and all, I can't help but feel a tinge of hatred towards people who say that money doesn't matter to them. It may not fix your problems, but it will certainly prevent you from getting even more of them... somewhat.......

Reactions: Blueman
L

Life_is_comedy

Sep 14, 2020
I won't lie, though. Being homeless and all, I can't help but feel a tinge of hatred towards people who say that money doesn't matter to them. It may not fix your problems, but it will certainly prevent you from getting even more of them... somewhat.......
Sorry that you're in this situation. Granted money can be a tool for practical problems but when it comes to what counts the most - relationships, friends, loyalty, empathy and genuine human interaction - it's not really gonna buy those things. If it was true, then we wouldn't hear of rich people and celebrities committing suicide because of their broken families and human relationships.