lost guy

lost guy

Just a guy trying to work things out.
Aug 12, 2020
Hi, all.

Without bringing up a deep religious conversation, can I still go to heaven if i
I take actions in my own hands to CTB?

• Hugs
Reactions: ithappens, Deleted member 19276, Disco Biscuit and 4 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
The Bible doesn't say. Not sure about the Quran or the Hebrew bible.

Sorry you're stressing about it.

Beating others to the punch: this is already hell.

• Love
Reactions: Iamamistake, Thatdude, Thatsthelot and 5 others
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Hi, all.

Without bringing up a deep religious conversation, can I still go to heaven if i
I'm not sure how anyone can answer that without getting into deep religion/theology.
I also don't think anyone can possibly answer such a question with any level of certainty.
What happens after death is a mystery for everyone.
I guess it could be answered from the point of view of specific religions like christianity or islam.

Reactions: depressedsally, degeneratewaste, Captive of Mind and 1 other person
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
You would need to take a survey of deaders and they are notoriously silent on this.

Reactions: Grav, AfraidofEverything, Joey and 2 others
leiche

leiche

i need a cigarette
Aug 19, 2020
you don't deserve to go to hell after living such a bad and stressful life. that's my own position and i'm not scared of ctbing, in heaven i will finally find peace

Reactions: Misery99 and anxivoid
Brink

Brink

Exhausted. RadHomo.
Feb 11, 2020
I believe that if a God is going to punish me for ending my pain on my terms, full of regret and sorrow about how things have gone and being a conscious person that cares about people and the state of the world, despite my mistakes, then God's heaven isn't a place that is full of love and is instead a facade for the abuse below.

Eternal punishment and torture for catching the bus, usually as a reaction to pain and despair? That sounds like the work of evil and not a benevolent force.

• Love
Reactions: Iamamistake, Misery99, ithappens and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
If God exists, then he knows exactly what's going to have to happen to make me not CTB. I'll give him a chance to work a miracle and turn things around for me but if these demands are not met by the explicit deadline then neither he nor anybody else deserves to put me through an existence that barely feels that much worse than how I already feel now.

Reactions: depressedsally, greekyfish10 and Meditation guide
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
just look into near death reports, there is no hell, just pure bliss. who knows if life will continue after this bliss. the church invented hell to stop people from committing suicide due to their sickly high taxation..

Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Lame Old Duke, lex and 2 others
Captive of Mind

Captive of Mind

Memento mori
Aug 11, 2020
The Bible doesn't say. Not sure about the Quran or the Hebrew bible.

Sorry you're stressing about it.

Beating others to the punch: this is already hell.
You always speak so much truth, I love reading your posts.
Hi, all.

If God exists, I don't believe he would create you knowing that you would go through all of this and then punish you forever in hell for whatever arbitrary reason he decides.

Plus, GoodPersonEffed is right, I believe that the hell written about in ancient texts was referring to what some people's reality already is on earth.

Edit: There are only a few examples of suicide in the Bible and they were either condoned by God or it was ambivalent about them. One of them being Jesus Christ's assisted suicide.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: BitterlyAlive and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Actually, I was in a sarcastic mood when I said I was beating others to the punch about hell, it was more about the fact that on every thread like this, several people will say earth or this life is hell.

Reactions: Brink
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

If God not be, then this world dies with me
Jul 1, 2020
Hi, all.

Not if certain religious doctrines and dogmas are found to be true.

mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
I don't believe a benevelent god would punish desperate people for taking their own lives.

Reactions: disabledandhopeless, Smashingairwaves and ocd is bad
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
No, but on the bright side you won't be going to hell either.

Captive of Mind

Captive of Mind

Memento mori
Aug 11, 2020
Actually, I was in a sarcastic mood when I said I was beating others to the punch about hell, it was more about the fact that on every thread like this, several people will say earth or this life is hell.
Ohh, lol! That makes sense. Do you believe hell is a real place? If not, what do you think those ancient texts were talking about?

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I don't believe a benevelent god would punish desperate people for taking their own lives.
I don't believe a benevolent god would create the conditions where people become so desperate that they take their own lives.
The fact that life is as it is on earth shows that a benevolent god is very unlikely.
That's how I see it anyway
There are only a few examples of suicide in the Bible and they were either condoned by God or it was ambivalent about them. One of them being Jesus Christ's assisted suicide.
Yes exactly. All the dogma and condemnation around suicide is a later invention of the church and has nothing to do with original christianity or the bible.
E.g Judas committed suicide but there is nothing at all in the new testament about him going to hell or being punished by god for it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: depressedsally and foxdie
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
Ohh, lol! That makes sense. Do you believe hell is a real place? If not, what do you think those ancient texts were talking about?

I haven't researched this, but my understanding is that Sheol or Hades did not equate the fire and brimstone hell invented by the Catholics.

I don't think heaven or hell are real places. I think humans in various cultures have imagined such places since humans.

Reactions: Captive of Mind
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
that Sheol or Hades did not equate the fire and brimstone hell invented by the Catholics.
Yes these are very different.
Sheol or hades didn't have the concept of eternity tied to.them either. They were temporary shadowy abodes, not places of everlasting torment as with the hell of later christianity or islam.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and Stavrogin
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

Jul 1, 2020
Yes these are very different.
Sheol or hades didn't have the concept of eternity tied to.them either. They were temporary shadowy abodes, not places of everlasting torment as with the hell of later christianity or islam.
The age of a thing doesn't imply the truth of a thing.

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I would suggest reading through CTB related NDEs and OBEs. As they're probably the closest testimonials you'll get on this subject.

The link I've provided is the largest source on the internet. I've read every single CTB related story they have and I'd say only 10% or less were "hellish."

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Hi, all.

No, since heaven does not exist. And you can't go to hell either, for the same reason. If you ctb you will simply cease to exist. There won't be any "you" to go anywhere.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
What are you referring to exactly?
Could you be a bit more specific
I
No, since heaven does not exist. And you can't go to hell either, for the same reason. If you ctb you will simply cease to exist. There won't be any "you" to go anywhere.
It would be more accurate to qualify all this with the language of uncertainty. No one knows what happens after death or what the true nature of reality is/what consciousness is, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

Jul 1, 2020
What are you referring to exactly?
Could you be a bit more specific
Old ideas are killed by new ideas, and their rubble is used to construct the new monuments or idols.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi, GoodPersonEffed and Brick In The Wall
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020

It's cultural as well. Egyptians believed in a different hell and heaven and how to qualify, as did the Greeks and Romans, Mayans, Aztecs, Native Americans, etc.

The Catholic concept of heaven and hell and how to qualify are part of the Western cultural imagination in spite of personal beliefs, including agnosticism and atheism.

Perhaps both are ways that humans keep themselves morally in check, with the punishments and rewards of transcendental parental authority figures. I've come across such theories when I was doing personal research on the evolutionary value of believing in gods that have never been proven to exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: ithappens and Stavrogin
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

Jul 1, 2020
It's cultural as well. Egyptians believed in a diffey hell and heaven and how to qualify, as did the Greeks and Romans.

The Catholic concept of heaven and hell and how to qualify are part of the Western cultural imagination in spite of beliefs.

Perhaps both are ways that humans keep themselves morally in check, with the punishments and rewards of transcendental parental authority figures. I've come across such theories when I was doing personal research on the evolutionary value of believing in gods that have never been proven to exist.

Perhaps. :wink: :pfff:

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Old ideas are killed by new ideas, and their rubble is used to construct the new monuments or idols.
Vivid metaphor.
I think I understand what you're getting at, because I was talking about hades and later christianity etc.

But I wasn't implying that hades was a better or more accurate concept than the later ideas of everlasting hell. I was just contrasting them.

I also that the 'old ideas killed by new ideas' idea isn't necessarily true. Look a buddhism, that came 500 years before Christianity and 1100 years before islam, yet it is still flourishing and has arguably a better and more accurate account (more in line with modern neuroscience) of human psychology, perception, the self etc than those later religions.

Last edited:
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
@lost guy, as far as I'm concerned suicide won't have any effect at all on whether or not you go to heaven.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

Jul 1, 2020
Vivid metaphor.
I think I understand what you're getting at, because I was talking about hades and later christianity etc.

But I wasn't implying that hades was a better or more accurate concept than the later ideas of everlasting hell. I was just contrasting them.

I also that the 'old ideas killed by new ideas' idea isn't necessarily true. Look a buddhism, that came 500 years before Christianity and 1100 years before islam, yet it is still flourishing and has arguably a better and more accurate account (more in line with modern neuroscience) of human psychology, perception, the self etc than those later religions.
Buddhism is young my friend, and their is still time. There is also an evolution of Buddhism that is occurring due to the Western perversion and fetishisation of it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Buddhism is young my friend, and their is still time. There is also an evolution of Buddhism that is occurring due to the Western perversion and fetishisation of it.
:nomouth:What do you mean 'Buddhism is young'? It dates from 500 years BC and is older than christianity and islam.
I do agree with the fact that it has been fetishized and distorted by western culture.

But maybe I have misunderstood the whole thrust of your points in general.
I'll bow out now

• Hugs
Reactions: Stavrogin and GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
There is also an evolution of Buddhism that is occurring due to the Western perversion and fetishisation of it.

I suggest that perversion stems in great part from a prior perversion of the introduction of Mahayana Buddhism, which rewrote the dhamma and and included other beliefs from Hinduism and tantra.

Also, Westerners didn't pervert Buddhism, but Buddhists who brought it to the West. There may be other examples, but I'm specifically referring to Chogyam Trungpa, founder of Shambala Buddhism and Naropa University.

Edit: I will allow that Westerners may have played a role. I personally think there was social engineering at play in the introduction, same with the introduction of Hinduism with Swami Vivekananda and the second wave with the Beatles' guru. Much of this began, at least out in the open, with Theosophy, which was also active in England.

Hope OP is okay with this derailing. Every thread like this seems to derail in such a fashion. One reason why I threw in that beating to the punch.

Last edited:
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

Jul 1, 2020
:nomouth:What do you mean 'Buddhism is young'? It dates from 500 years BC and is older than christianity and islam.
I do agree with the fact that it has been fetishized and distorted by western culture.

But maybe I have misunderstood the whole thrust of your points in general.
I'll bow out now

I bow out with you - it is all poetry.

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed and esse_est_percipi