• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

JipJopMop

Mar 6, 2021
Is there any hope for some one mentally ill and on benefits who finds it difficult to ever have a good life and career?

Does anybody have any examples of people who have done this, perhaps even yourself?

Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
I am currently on benefits and trying to piece a life together. I don't have any diagnosed mental illnesses per se but I have a neurological condition. It's not easy but I try every day to make something worthwhile out of my time. Some days it is a success and other days it isn't. I am starting a few hours a week at the local museum/library soon and am both nervous and excited. My dream is to take an education one day, normalize the relationship with my family and learn to cope with my emotions. It's not easy but I believe it's possible if you're resilient enough. And resilience isn't a yes/no or overnight thing, it's something that ebbs and flows. If you'd like feel free to ask me anything or tell your own story.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Is there any hope for some one mentally ill and on benefits who finds it difficult to ever have a good life and career?

Does anybody have any examples of people who have done this, perhaps even yourself?
They don't make it easy. I believe in some cases probably many cases most people diagnosed with mental illness could have decent lives. Many mental illnesses I think stem from child maltreatment, toxins in food/water, injections, bad living situation or bad work conditions, and not because u inherited something genetically. The other reason for mental illnesses that many people are not aware of is our medical establishment. You know those early childhood vaccinations? Yea well they were basically injecting u with small amounts of poison like mercury, aluminum, and formaldehyde. So, many people now as a result of this have neurological damage, emotional problems, processing problems, ADD, autism. So u may have been damaged and do not realize. This has been going on for like 200 yrs. the deception about vaccines. They were never designed to keep u immune from anything. They had been harming us. I know right? With that said. If u are able to do art, learn a skill that can help others, pursue whatever interest u have, not just for money. Sometimes these can turn into a way to earn though. There's lots of books that can help u to achieve success too. Success doesn't come from a 40 hr work week. Don't feel like a failure if u aren't able to do that.

Last edited:
kovkay

kovkay

Experienced
Jun 29, 2020
When I expressed to my psychiatrist that I've been finding it hard to maintain employment due to maybe the medication, or negative symptoms of my illness - he just told me to get on disability and chill.

I found a couple of organizations that help get and sustain employment for the disabled. I would inquire about these organizations in your area as they can be of use.

In any case, take it easy and don't push yourself past your limits.

GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Think I might have to go with this route if I can get some kind of diagnosis. I break down mentally after some time after working/studying and it seems like I won't be able to get rid of whatever this is. I suspect that I'm in that "no man's land" when you look fine on paper but can't actually work, meaning that you can neither earn money nor get disabilities. This on top of getting nothing positive out of life in general and wanting to die.

S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I used to be on disability for a good part of my early 20s until I told myself to fuck it all and get off of it. I went to a trade school to learn how to fix computers, and 10 years later, I'm now a cybersecurity engineer. I'm still mentally ill, lash out at people, harbor intense thoughts, and keep it all on the down low by involving myself in more work. Without work, I probably be still on disability in a mental hospital somewhere.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Well, I can only speak for myself, but boy I don't see how. I've been on disability support for close to a decade and it's flat-out fantasy to think I'm ever coming off that shit. For one thing, you've got to have a dream and an actual stake in life to even begin to claw your way of this. Without that, you have nothing. My only "ambition" is to die, so everything else is basically moot from where I'm sitting.

Even if I did want something, my mental problems are so deeply embedded that there's no way I'd ever anywhere. Not without TREMENDOUS outside support, which of course does not, nor will ever exist. Perhaps if my personality weren't so rancid and am anxiety wasn't so intense, I could've had a go at streaming/YouTubing, but honestly, talk about ridiculous. I don't even own a microphone and, although it's something I could within the safety of my home, I'd have better odds at winning the lottery every week for the next couple months, than ever get anywhere with that sort of bullshit.

Even those who YouTube about mental illnesses are really only selling a brand image of it (such as the quirky introvert), when they themselves usually embody the exact opposite of that and are in fact quite extroverted and outgoing. My point is that no one really wants to see/hear from someone like me. They just want a likeable extrovert LARPing as someone like me.