S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I loved those as a child along with the Narnia books and Piers Anthony. I usually don't like reading if I can do something lazier like tv or video games but I really connected with a few authors. There were only ever a few that I liked. later it was Balzac, Dickens and Robertson Davies. also loved Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye. I haven't read them in a long time though. I'm currently reading a French book about the jewish mafia. Recently finished a book by Evola that I found disappointing.

I like the Narnia books too. Haven't got around to Piers Antony. I have heard of the Xanth books before.

Reactions: Disappointered
waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
I started Dune...it's pretty good.
Anybody else into sci-fi literature?
or distopian scenarios like Kings The Stand.

Reactions: signifying nothing and Sakura94
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I started Dune...it's pretty good.
or distopian scenarios like Kings The Stand.

I bought both of these actually during lockdown. Haven't started them yet cause I got a ton to go through. Dune is said to be good if you're into ecology. I tend to stay away from sci-fi because the future scares me but Permutation city was really good. One of my favorite books now.

waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
I bought both of these actually during lockdown. Haven't started them yet cause I got a ton to go through. Dune is said to be good if you're into ecology. I tend to stay away from sci-fi because the future scares me but Permutation city was really good. One of my favorite books now.
I know...it's scary to think about those scenarios and some of them don't even seem so far off due to our environmental problems and the whole pandemic situation. But it still fascinates me somehow. I'll check it out, thank you!
I actually made a list of book I'm still trying to get through before I ctb. Keeps me busy. :)

Reactions: Sakura94
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I know...it's scary to think about those scenarios and some of them don't even seem so far off due to our environmental problems and the whole pandemic situation. But it still fascinates me somehow. I'll check it out, thank you!
I actually made a list of book I'm still trying to get through before I ctb. Keeps me busy. :)

It was a fun book a fast read and not too scary. I think the pandemic might be over soon I worry about some repercussions like having phone everywhere to use bars or eat because I like to act spontaneously without signing my name into everything. Hopefully some of this stuff will vanish.
I get physical books from library or charity shops then I have to read them. It extends my ctb date sometimes because then I have to return them in person :P

• Hugs
Reactions: waterstrider
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020

Yes, lots, my favourite genre.
Impressed by Anne Leckie's Ancillary Justice most recently. Also Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. Iain M Banks culture novels, any and all by Greg Egan, Ted Chiang's short Story of Your Life (which became the movie Arrival)... and many more. Mainly for pure escapism and interesting ideas.

• Love
Reactions: waterstrider
waterstrider

waterstrider

cold
Nov 29, 2020
Yes, lots, my favourite genre.
Impressed by Anne Leckie's Ancillary Justice most recently. Also Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy. Iain M Banks culture novels, any and all by Greg Egan, Ted Chiang's short Story of Your Life (which became the movie Arrival)... and many more. Mainly for pure escapism and interesting ideas.
Thanks...going to check some of them out. Always looking for new stuff!

LooksAtMoonDog

LooksAtMoonDog

Too Long in the Wasteland
Nov 10, 2020
Just finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card.

On a more "serious" note I'm making my way thru The Miner (1908) by Natsume Sōseki.

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
one book which is a transcript of a speech was adorno's "theory of half-education". but i just read the first half years ago.
since then i like to describe myself as quarter educated ^^

A

AutoTap

Elementalist
Nov 11, 2020
A bit embarrassed but I like reading adventure kid type books. Like Percy Jackson is one of my favorite book series.

Reactions: LooksAtMoonDog and Sakura94