• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

iloveduster

iloveduster

Jan 21, 2024
Can anyone recommend books that talk about suicide (preferably non-fiction)?

Reactions: sserafim
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Running very late for my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
  • On Suicide by Jean Améry
  • The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon
And I second The Myth of Sisyphus.

Upvote 0
Jiyuurakka

Jiyuurakka

Discontinued Existence
Mar 22, 2024
No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai. One of my favourite books of all time, and one of the most realistic depictions of how I felt and arguably still do feel about life sometimes.

The author attempted suicide four times in total in his lifetime and was able to successfully kill himself right after he finished writing No Longer Human, so the book itself holds an authentic power to it when you read the words. Takes only three hours to read, I can predict it would be a really impactful read to everyone here.

Have no doubt, this book will make you feel like someone in this World actually experienced and was able to express properly in words what most people fail to say in words about life. I'm open to discuss it with anyone who finishes reading it as well, it's a very hard hitting read.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
iloveduster

iloveduster

Jan 21, 2024
  • On Suicide by Jean Améry
  • The Noonday Demon by Andrew Solomon
And I second The Myth of Sisyphus.
Thank you!
No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai. One of my favourite books of all time, and one of the most realistic depictions of how I felt and arguably still do feel about life sometimes.

The author attempted suicide four times in total in his lifetime and was able to successfully kill himself right after he finished writing No Longer Human, so the book itself holds an authentic power to it when you read the words. Takes only three hours to read, I can predict it would be a really impactful read to everyone here.

Have no doubt, this book will make you feel like someone in this World actually experienced and was able to express properly in words what most people fail to say in words about life. I'm open to discuss it with anyone who finishes reading it as well, it's a very hard hitting read.
Thank you!
The Savage God - A. Alvarez
Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
I have two books on suicide. The first is "Farewell to the world: a history of suicide" by Marzio Barbagli. It's what it says, a history book, and it does not look at the "why" or the ethics of suicide. However it is very good at the task that it has set for itself.

The second book I mention only to say avoid it. "Working in the dark, Understanding the pre-suicide state of mind" by Donald Campbll and Rob Hale. It's written by two psychiatrists who consider that suicide is to be discouraged in all circumstances, a view that few on this site will share. It's not even very good within its own terms of reference. Although it does have some useful insights, it also has a great deal of psycho-babble, most of which, in my view, is completely devoid of meaning. I read it twice, in the hope that increasing familiarity with what the authors were trying to say would improve my opinion of the book. It didn't.

Upvote 0
iloveduster

iloveduster

Jan 21, 2024
Drafts of a suicide note
Thank you!
I have two books on suicide. The first is "Farewell to the world: a history of suicide" by Marzio Barbagli. It's what it says, a history book, and it does not look at the "why" or the ethics of suicide. However it is very good at the task that it has set for itself.

The second book I mention only to say avoid it. "Working in the dark, Understanding the pre-suicide state of mind" by Donald Campbll and Rob Hale. It's written by two psychiatrists who consider that suicide is to be discouraged in all circumstances, a view that few on this site will share. It's not even very good within its own terms of reference. Although it does have some useful insights, it also has a great deal of psycho-babble, most of which, in my view, is completely devoid of meaning. I read it twice, in the hope that increasing familiarity with what the authors were trying to say would improve my opinion of the book. It didn't.
Thank you!
Jean amery. On suicide (1975)
Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
Upvote 0
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Running very late for my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
The Bible…..

Sorry - being in church from a young age and hearing the same Hyms and chants over and over and over again would make anyone want to CTB.
Unironically though I'd recommend the Book of Job and Ecclesiastes. Not about suicide per se, but I return to Job often during tough moments because of how well it captures the feeling of suffering so bad that you want to die.

Upvote 0