P

prbreese01

Oct 27, 2021
I searched for movies that might inspire me and give me some insight into the meaning and/or purpose of life but the ones that were suggested didn't really hit the mark. I'm losing hope and thought maybe a movie might spark something in me. Does anyone have a movie suggestion?

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
My personal take:

But to be honest, I'm not sure if you're going to find what you're looking for in movies. At the very least there's no single movie that perfectly encapsulates the meaning of life, as the meaning of life can be completely different from person to person. And then there's people like me who stopped caring altogether.

I do have two recommendations for you, which are more like feel-good movies and not at all deep, but they might still 'spark' something:
- Moana
- Coco

• Love
Reactions: narval, Huntfish34, UseItOrLoseIt and 3 others
MeltedJello

MeltedJello

My brain is a liquid mess.
Aug 18, 2021
  • Yay!
Reactions: DaatiSimi, Huntfish34, gr1lledcheese and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Get this anti-antinatalist propaganda out of my sight. This movie literally cucks antinatalism by asserting that everybody who was ever born had to choose to be born. I like the movie itself, but I always thought SS would hate this movie for this aspect alone. :ahhha:

Had some nice jazz music in it though.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: LonelyBrazilian and MeltedJello
O

OrcWitch

Warlock
Sep 3, 2021
There's this french animated film called I Lost My Body. It sparked something in me but I don't think it has meaning of life in it.

Reactions: prbreese01
P

prbreese01

Oct 27, 2021
My personal take:

But to be honest, I'm not sure if you're going to find what you're looking for in movies. At the very least there's no single movie that perfectly encapsulates the meaning of life, as the meaning of life can be completely different from person to person. And then there's people like me who stopped caring altogether.

I do have two recommendations for you, which are more like feel-good movies and not at all deep, but they might still 'spark' something:
- Moana
- Coco

I know I'm not going to find what I'm looking for in 1 single movie but I was hoping to get a few different suggestions. Then I'd possibly be able to pull a little bit from each suggestion.

Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
Well in that case I've got a few more.

- Cloud Atlas
- Lion
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Castaway on the Moon
- Equilibrium

Reactions: mistvissione11e, Huntfish34, prbreese01 and 1 other person
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
To me, there isn't a innate meaning to life beyond survival. For humans we have the benefit of being self aware and having the intelligence to help determine how we survive and what we do in-between these needed steps of survival. It is up to us to determine our purpose, goals and ultimately the meaning of our lives. Yes, we all will have limitations to work around and we wont always get to do exactly what we want but we have adaptability and flexibility at least over other lifeforms.

With that perhaps you need films about self discovery and those about overcoming various obstacles we face?

Reactions: Huntfish34 and prbreese01
P

prbreese01

Oct 27, 2021
To me, there isn't a innate meaning to life beyond survival. For humans we have the benefit of being self aware and having the intelligence to help determine how we survive and what we do in-between these needed steps of survival. It is up to us to determine our purpose, goals and ultimately the meaning of our lives. Yes, we all will have limitations to work around and we wont always get to do exactly what we want but we have adaptability and flexibility at least over other lifeforms.

With that perhaps you need films about self discovery and those about overcoming various obstacles we face?
I would would need films about self discovery. As you can see, I'm very lost.😬

• Love
MeltedJello

MeltedJello

My brain is a liquid mess.
Aug 18, 2021
Get this anti-antinatalist propaganda out of my sight. This movie literally cucks antinatalism by asserting that everybody who was ever born had to choose to be born. I like the movie itself, but I always thought SS would hate this movie for this aspect alone. :ahhha:

Had some nice jazz music in it though.
It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I never knew that movie was about that. When I think about it now, you're absolutely correct, and I agree. I also just liked the movie itself.

I'm really sorry if anyone gets offended or something by my stupid post/suggestion. Ugh, I'm such an idiot with a stupid brain.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
P

prbreese01

Oct 27, 2021
Well in that case I've got a few more.

- Cloud Atlas
- Lion
- The Shawshank Redemption
- Castaway on the Moon
- Equilibrium
Lion was really good but my memory sucks. And I've seen Shawshank tons of times. Whenever it's on TV, I stop and watch it.

• Love
Reactions: Huntfish34 and Silenos
B

Bleak

Student
Nov 10, 2021
I don't know about meaning of life, but a couple I saw recently about resilience and redemption:

^This one is kind of violent in parts, just for warning.

Reactions: Huntfish34 and prbreese01
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
It's been a while since I've seen the movie so I never knew that movie was about that. When I think about it now, you're absolutely correct, and I agree. I also just liked the movie itself.

I'm really sorry if anyone gets offended or something by my stupid post/suggestion. Ugh, I'm such an idiot with a stupid brain.
I mean, it does raise an interesting possibility. Maybe our souls DID choose to be born, who can say? If you've seen the prequel short 22 vs the Earth though, it shows that it's stupidly easy to find a reason to want to be born. One even discovers that it enjoys lying and that's enough for it to be given an Earth pass. It seems newborn souls are too naive to realize why they shouldn't want to live (except 22 obviously but even she folds after one test drive) 😅

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34 and MeltedJello
P

prbreese01

Oct 27, 2021
So in my quest to become i
unlost, I watched "Soul" today. Thanks for the recommendation.😉And I just finished up "Into the Wild". If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend if.😊

Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
Dunno if this movie fits at all so I'm sorry if it doesn't. But Life as a House really touched me awhile back when I last saw it.

Kinda hard to explain because the movie has some comedy / humor mixed in but it genuinely inspired me more than anything. Gave me faith and hope to pick my head up,. To Live and enjoy life regardless of the Bullshit going on around me.

Idk.. just my .02

Reactions: prbreese01
L

Looooser

My 2 cents
Feb 3, 2022
I searched for movies that might inspire me and give me some insight into the meaning and/or purpose of life but the ones that were suggested didn't really hit the mark. I'm losing hope and thought maybe a movie might spark something in me. Does anyone have a movie suggestion?
I thought What Dreams May Come was a pretty great movie. I found it interesting take on the after life anyway.

• Love
Huntfish34

Huntfish34

Enlightened
Mar 13, 2020
That was an awesome movie Looooser. I forgot about that one.

Istanbulite

Istanbulite

Jan 14, 2022
bf30618ce688ab50330d6232c8b174b048767c61.webp

1c2824cf1f26ea5fe5935e60ff18bf092f74f3d7.webp

Reactions: Irrumi
kitch

kitch

Student
Jan 4, 2021
The driftless area .

Might be difficult to locate ... something about it sparked ,,,

Just remebered 'the sunshine unlimited' , a full on stage play about suicide ...

Hair , the musical , 1979 ? I hate musicals ... but it does touch on some themes ...
( I dubbed thrashed this sound track actually ...)

Orlando was quite interesting ...
Donny of course ...

Meaning of life 2001 a space oddysey (get ready to skip twenty minutes of blurry stuff)

Arrival

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrival_(film)

Again , apologies if not what you are looking for .

I live for movies ... so I'm a bit dissapointed I haven't got more ideas ...
Sorry if these are not your thing .

I be sailing the seven seas for my moooovies if yer foller me ,meanin' ah ha har ar ,,,