• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
It seems every group self-segregates. The US isn't one nation. It's many, and they're all pulling for their own team.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The fact that so many cultures exist within it, even though they mostly keep to themselves is pretty unique I'd say. Even in the US and in other countries like Canada and Australia though, it's only really tangible in certain populated areas.

Unless you mean every state feels like its own country, in which case maybe it should be. I dunno.

Reactions: KleinerWolf
issyishere

issyishere

Goodnight and always remember that’s life
Nov 5, 2019
I'd say the most primary example is media consumption, we enjoy kpop, we listen to rap music, rock and roll, we celebrate st patricks day, in california we celebrate cinco de mayo. Japanese anime is another big thing here. When I took US history in college, our textbook described the multiculturality as a salad bowl. Everyone retains their identity but adds something to it. A bit different than the idea of the great american melting pot that the founding fathers viewed it as.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
The fact that so many cultures exist within it, even though they mostly keep to themselves is pretty unique I'd say. Even in the US and in other countries like Canada and Australia though, it's only really tangible in certain populated areas.

Unless you mean every state feels like its own country, in which case maybe it should be. I dunno.
Multiculturalism was/is promoted as good because the cultures were supposed to blend (the melting pot), but that doesn't actually happen. It creates a situation where people just generally feel uncomfortable and/or distrustful around people of other cultures. Humans are still tribal at their core. That never changed.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Well not all ppl feel uncomfortable around ppl from other cultures. If you have a school with ppl from mixed cultures then those ppl get to know ppl from other cultures and it opens them up and they can be more open minded. My school was pretty mixed and it kinda gets rid of any stereotypes you could have had in your head before you met the people from other cultures and stuff

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Well not all ppl feel uncomfortable around ppl from other cultures. If you have a school with ppl from mixed cultures then those ppl get to know ppl from other cultures and it opens them up and they can be more open minded. My school was pretty mixed and it kinda gets rid of any stereotypes you could have had in your head before you met the people from other cultures and stuff
I think it needs to be a continuous thing. I haven't been in that environment since high school, but even then every group separated by race for the most part. I grew up in a liberal area too.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Multiculturalism was/is promoted as good because the cultures were supposed to blend (the melting pot), but that doesn't actually happen. It creates a situation where people just generally feel uncomfortable and/or distrustful around people of other cultures. Humans are still tribal at their core. That never changed.
I think public colleges are really the only place it works. Unlike high school people for the most part aren't forced to be there and most students at least have something in common beyond race or culture since everyone is struggling to keep up with grades and stuff. Even then though, they're all bonded by ideology so it's not for everyone...

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
I think public colleges are really the only place it works. Unlike high school people for the most part aren't forced to be there and most students at least have something in common beyond race or culture since everyone is struggling to keep up with grades and stuff. Even then though, they're all bonded by ideology so it's not for everyone...
An artificial community for an ideology that is not in line with human nature.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
An artificial community for an ideology that is not in line with human nature.
People in college do tend to have more in common ideologically for whatever reason. Maybe it's just a young people thing too.

Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
People in college do tend to have more in common ideologically for whatever reason. Maybe it's just a young people thing too.
Because young people just do as their liberal professors say.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Because young people just do as their liberal professors say.
Sometimes. Other times they already came in feeling that way and were more liberal than their professors. I had one who had another student argue with him for not being liberal enough on some things.

Reactions: Kramer
Kramer

Kramer

Nervous wreck
Oct 27, 2020
Sometimes. Other times they already came in feeling that way and were more liberal than their professors. I had one who had another student argue with him for not being liberal enough on some things.
Lol. I was in a class where a guy claimed the professor was racist for teaching that businesses often market to different cultures. I openly defended the professor. Leaning on my minority side helped me bigly.

S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
It seems every group self-segregates. The US isn't one nation. It's many, and they're all pulling for their own team.
No this is wrong. This statement might have been accurate but today the US is truly multicultural. There is racial drama and segregated neighborhoods but the US and especially the political system are not divided into neat teams. There are very strange bedfellows in the US political system and a lot of what is presented in the media about how the political system really works is just BS.

An open secret: The republican elite love illegal immigration. It allows them to pay low wages. But their voters hate it yet they still vote for them. This topic is almost never covered in major media but its well known to people who are critical observers