12_Years_Late

12_Years_Late

“May it please you.” — Ben Pollack
Jun 19, 2023
(The most fascinating suicide story that I've ever come across. It's only fitting, given the relative obscurity of Pollack, that I share this story in this area of the forum.)

Beset by heart trouble and financial worries, jazz drummer Ben Pollack killed himself in 1971. He died of "Asphyxia due to hanging", when he "Hanged Self From Shower Curtain Rod With Belt". His final occupation was as the owner of "Easy Street North", a bar in Los Angeles.

It was his attachment to his singer, Doris Robbins, instead of his band, that was partly responsible for his band members forming their own group in 1934. They married in February 1935. Robbins later divorced Pollack, which may have been a factor in his suicide.

Some of the 1933-34 song titles by Pollack's orchestra seem to define his death and attraction towards Robbins: "Goin' To Heaven On A Mule", "Here Goes", "The Beat Of My Heart", & "I've Got A Warm Spot In My Heart For You".

Hopefully he watched one last television program before leaving.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and Forever Sleep
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I really envy the hanging suicides and admire the courage they had, it makes the method sound so much easier than it actually is.

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra and 12_Years_Late
12_Years_Late

12_Years_Late

“May it please you.” — Ben Pollack
Jun 19, 2023
True. I've attempted hanging several times before, particularly recalling the choking feeling on the neck.

(Also forgot to mention that Thursday, June 22nd would've been his 120th birthday.)

Reactions: Per Ardua Ad Astra