• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

caraphernelia

caraphernelia

what’s so good about picking up the pieces
Aug 24, 2023
i've been taking multiple (prescribed) medications for a few years and they have definitely helped me but i've started to feel like i'm too reliant on them.

for some context, i'm on anti depressants, stimulants for adhd, mood stabilisers and a few others.

a couple weeks ago i tried to go a few days without taking them and it didn't go well, i barely even remember it because i was so dissociated the entire time and when i started taking my meds again it took a while to start to feel "normal" again.

i'm glad that im able to have medications that help me but i'm worried i've become too dependant on them since i can't even get through a few days without them.

am i meant to just go through my entire life taking multiple pills everyday? i wish i could just live "normally" but that doesn't really feel like an option for me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and iloverachel
I

iloverachel

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2024
Yeah withdrawals suck, especially if you have been on for a few years.

I think what you should do is taper it off, rather than quitting cold turkey

Its the same with most addictive things, even caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, if you take a lot for years and suddenly stop it usually doesn't end well

talk to your gp and ask him what are some good ways or strategies to taper if and slowly come off if you want to be less reliant

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and caraphernelia
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
i was thinking about talking to my doctor about possibly tapering off my meds but i'm just worried about what might happen if i'm off my meds completely. i'm worried that i might fall back into old habits and spiral.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hotsackage
DarknessInMe

DarknessInMe

Jun 19, 2023
I can absolutely understand that you're worried. It's definitely worth talking to your doctor about both your fear of being dependent on them and wish to taper off the medication.
Medication, especially psychotropic drugs, should always be tapered; never just stop taking them, this can lead to severe withdrawal symptoms.
Ideally, your doctor helps you to reduce the medication very slowly and gradually, talking through possible changes in your mood and adjusting the dosage based on how you feel. I really encourage you to try talking to your doctor. Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: caraphernelia
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
i was thinking about talking to my doctor about possibly tapering off my meds but i'm just worried about what might happen if i'm off my meds completely. i'm worried that i might fall back into old habits and spiral.
Sadly coming off the antidepressants doesn't make them just stop working. What you felt isn't how you would feel if you never had taken meds. These were withdrawal symptoms, and they can be really overwhelming when you're coming off of multiple medications at once and when you've started your treatment already a long time ago.
You shouldn't try it on your own, please consider getting professional help:)
Sadly coming off the antidepressants doesn't make them just stop working. What you felt isn't how you would feel if you never had taken meds. These were withdrawal symptoms, and they can be really overwhelming when you're coming off of multiple medications at once and when you've started your treatment already a long time ago.
You shouldn't try it on your own, please consider getting professional help:)
Also, I'm not sure if that applies for all of your meds, but it definitely does at least for ssri's - withdrawal symptoms absolutely don't mean it has anything to do with addiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: caraphernelia, Praestat_Mori and Alexei_Kirillov
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
It's understandable to not want to feel tethered to medications. Lots of people have to take medications over the course of their lives for some reason or another. It's not a sign of weakness. Medications are in essence a tool just like a hammer or a phone or a car. I understand the sentiment though and depending on what you are prescribed them for (mania and psychosis don't really warrant not taking medication) if you feel you are in a food place you can try to see what it's like to get off them. You should do that with responsible tapering though, or you could mess yourself up and not get accurate information. Maybe you'll find your feelings around medication aren't worth how you feel without them.

Reactions: caraphernelia
caraphernelia

caraphernelia

Aug 24, 2023
thank you everyone for your advice, i've decided to talk to my doctor about slowly tapering off my meds and how i would go about that so i can do it safely.
i appreciate all the advice :)