• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
For the purposes of this video, I encourage you to view this from the perspective of a hypothetical extraterrestrial entity. Do not take this video personally, as your ego will attempt to make you suffer for it. View this from the realm of pure abstraction, and it will set you free. You must focus on yourself and be mindful of the present moment for this to work. Something will either click for you, or it won't.

Most important line to listen for: "You won't be part of the human race. it will be as if the big bang never occurred in this universe, from your perspective."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egocentric_presentism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_presentism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspectival_realism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifrustrationism

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." --Albert Einstein

*we can theoretically decide the when/where/how of our own escapes

"Dealin' with the lower planes brings a lot of stress..." --Greydon Square, 'Cosmic Harvest'

"...Nothing, some physicist implied, might be the ultimate symmetry, everywhere, everywhen the same... Mostly we knew what nothing was not. It was not anything. But it was the possibility of everything. And perhaps such beauty, nothing, was unstable. And the result was every once in an eternity it twitched." --Dennis Overbye

"Whatever is real in our universe is real in a moment of time, which is one of a succession of moments. The past was real but is no longer real. We can, however, interpret and analyze the past, because we find evidence of past processes in the present. The future does not yet exist and is therefore open. We can reasonably infer some predictions, but we cannot predict the future completely. Indeed, the future can produce phenomena that are genuinely novel, in the sense that no knowledge of the past could have anticipated them. Nothing transcends time, not even the laws of nature. Laws are not timeless. Like everything else, they are features of the present, and they can evolve over time." --Lee Smolin

"Of all obstacles to a thoroughly penetrating account of existence, none looms up more dismayingly than "time." Explain time? Not without explaining existence. Explain existence? Not without explaining time. To uncover the deep and hidden connection between time and existence, to close on itself our quartet of questions, is a task for the future." --John Archibald Wheeler

*Wheeler was joking when he said that last sentence.

"The fact is that we only fully arrive at ourselves in a freely chosen death. It, and only it, is "la minute de la verite" (the moment of truth). --Jean Amery, 'On Suicide: A Discourse on Voluntary Death'

"A successful suicide demands good organization and a cool head, both of which are usually incompatible with the suicidal state of mind." --Susanna Kaysen

states of consciousness are shadows of time itself

Last edited:
Lucas

Lucas

May 26, 2018
Funny thing about dying is that once we die, we either find out what comes next or we don't. If reincarnation is possible, it will happen instantly when you die since there is no time inbetween. Though it probably won't be this timeline anymore, it would require another big bang.

If nothing is after this, then nothing will happen. I still believe though that it might be possible that the universe just repeats time after time and we will never know the true answer.

Random thought about existing though or mindfuck pondering rather: if you die at the age 2 or 3, you probably won't remember existing at all. So it might be everyone has existed million times before, but this is the first time we actually managed to live long (without dying) enough to reach the age to understand anything.

Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
If there is a next time, I'm going to have to request to chill with the type 2's or 3's on the Kardashev scale. No more type 0 apes for me, no thanks.
Funny thing about dying is that once we die, we either find out what comes next or we don't. If reincarnation is possible, it will happen instantly when you die since there is no time inbetween. Though it probably won't be this timeline anymore, it would require another big bang.

If nothing is after this, then nothing will happen. I still believe though that it might be possible that the universe just repeats time after time and we will never know the true answer.

Random thought about existing though or mindfuck pondering rather: if you die at the age 2 or 3, you probably won't remember existing at all. So it might be everyone has existed million times before, but this is the first time we actually managed to live long (without dying) enough to reach the age to understand anything.

The only thing that used to concern me in the not-so-distant past was: the proposition that a truly Zero-energy universe can theoretically last forever/nothing transcends time itself. If the particular universe that we find ourselves in is truly eternal in this sense, AND the physical laws really are just features of the present, AND they [the physical laws] can evolve over time (Lee Smolin's view)... then indeed we might well be the unlucky few. Nowadays I just focus on my barbiturates, nitro rig, and wristwatch ;)

Last edited:
Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
If I only could disappear now and pretend all this chaos never happened...

Exiting the universe... Sounds very pleasant.

Sounds like Valhalla to me too, brother ;)

If the hard-materialist view espoused in this video is correct (which is in fact the view that science has shown us)... the implications are inconceivably visceral, dumbfounding, and paradoxically energizing: the consciousness that arises from the human brain is literally nothing but a nightmare/dream ingrained & embedded within an eternal nap... literally

Last edited:
T

transgenderfailure

Subhuman Creature
Apr 30, 2018
"when you die you go back to the same state of nonexistence you were in for the past 14 billion years"

He can't say for sure that when we die we will go back to this state of "non-existence" we were in before we were born.

Nobody can prove for certain that we did not exist before this life. Maybe we did exist in another vessel, but we can't recollect. Or maybe we didn't.

In my opinion, this doesn't solve anything.

G

goggleboxers

Student
May 24, 2018
For the purposes of this video, I encourage you to view this from the perspective of a hypothetical extraterrestrial entity. Do not take this video personally, as your ego will attempt to make you suffer for it. View this from the realm of pure abstraction, and it will set you free. You must focus on yourself and be mindful of the present moment for this to work. Something will either click for you, or it won't.

Most important line to listen for: "You won't be part of the human race. it will be as if the big bang never occurred in this universe, from your perspective."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-energy_universe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egocentric_presentism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_presentism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspectival_realism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifrustrationism

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." --Albert Einstein

*we can theoretically decide the when/where/how of our own escapes

"Dealin' with the lower planes brings a lot of stress..." --Greydon Square, 'Cosmic Harvest'

"...Nothing, some physicist implied, might be the ultimate symmetry, everywhere, everywhen the same... Mostly we knew what nothing was not. It was not anything. But it was the possibility of everything. And perhaps such beauty, nothing, was unstable. And the result was every once in an eternity it twitched." --Dennis Overbye

"Whatever is real in our universe is real in a moment of time, which is one of a succession of moments. The past was real but is no longer real. We can, however, interpret and analyze the past, because we find evidence of past processes in the present. The future does not yet exist and is therefore open. We can reasonably infer some predictions, but we cannot predict the future completely. Indeed, the future can produce phenomena that are genuinely novel, in the sense that no knowledge of the past could have anticipated them. Nothing transcends time, not even the laws of nature. Laws are not timeless. Like everything else, they are features of the present, and they can evolve over time." --Lee Smolin

"Of all obstacles to a thoroughly penetrating account of existence, none looms up more dismayingly than "time." Explain time? Not without explaining existence. Explain existence? Not without explaining time. To uncover the deep and hidden connection between time and existence, to close on itself our quartet of questions, is a task for the future." --John Archibald Wheeler

*Wheeler was joking when he said that last sentence.

"The fact is that we only fully arrive at ourselves in a freely chosen death. It, and only it, is "la minute de la verite" (the moment of truth). --Jean Amery, 'On Suicide: A Discourse on Voluntary Death'

"A successful suicide demands good organization and a cool head, both of which are usually incompatible with the suicidal state of mind." --Susanna Kaysen

states of consciousness are shadows of time itself

Nope once you die you die welcome darkness my old friend

Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
Nope once you die you die welcome darkness my old friend

"Thomas W. Clark, founder of Center for Naturalism, wrote a paper titled "Death, Nothingness, and Subjectivity". He critiqued what he saw as a flawed description of eternal oblivion as a "plunge into darkness". When some imagine their deaths (including the non-religious), they project themselves into a future self which experiences an eternal silent darkness. This is wrong, because without consciousness, there is no awareness of space and no basis for time. For Clark, in oblivion there isn't even an absence of experience, as we can only speak of experience when a subjective self exists." --'Eternal oblivion' (Wikipedia)

Something will either click for you, or it won't

Last edited:
Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
"when you die you go back to the same state of nonexistence you were in for the past 14 billion years"

He can't say for sure that when we die we will go back to this state of "non-existence" we were in before we were born.

Nobody can prove for certain that we did not exist before this life. Maybe we did exist in another vessel, but we can't recollect. Or maybe we didn't.

In my opinion, this doesn't solve anything.

The perspective here isn't actually about prior or subsequent existences/experiences, but about highlighting this existence (the now in particular) by comparing it to a very particular type of non-existence: timelessness. The only thing I can recommend is to read through the text below the video, especially the Wikipedia links. However, as mentioned in the text above the video: this perspective isn't for everyone...

Last edited:
Reactions: dano6533