Jun 23, 2023
Everybody gangsta till rainandsadness comments

• Yay!
Reactions: Life Is My Coffin, Valky, NoHorizon and 9 others
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
Please provide an example. We only issue bans to people when there is a certain consensus in our team that someone disagrees with the philosophy of this forum, violate the rules or when they're suspected to act in bad faith, disregarding the boundaries of our members.
In my opinion, if the boundaries of the ppl are respected I don't think there is enough reason to ban someone. Of course everyone has right to have their own opinion and things that others say can be misinterpreted, even if the person saying that had good intentions. I think regardless of anyone being pro life or pro choice or pro death (which is dubious) death and suicide will always be a hard and sensitive subject to talk about, and no one should be banned just because they are not answering everyone "good luck" when they post a suicide plan and they actually try to reach them with a sensitive attitude

RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
In my opinion, if the boundaries of the ppl are respected I don't think there is enough reason to ban someone. Of course everyone has right to have their own opinion and things that others say can be misinterpreted, even if the person saying that had good intentions. I think regardless of anyone being pro life or pro choice or pro death (which is dubious) death and suicide will always be a hard and sensitive subject to talk about, and no one should be banned just because they are not answering everyone "good luck" when they post a suicide plan and they actually try to reach them with a sensitive attitude

So you didn't give me an example. Are you just here to incite flame wars? That's how it looks like with you starting this thread with your accusation directed at staff and when you're asked to provide an example, because you're obviously talking about a very specific member and I think I know who you're referring to, you refuse to answer. Like there is literally no reason for me to respond to your thread when you can't give me an example of someone supposedly being banned for the wrong reason. If you'd rather beat around the bush, that's up to you but I can assure you, we don't ban people for no reason. And certainly not because they're a little bit too optimistic, that literally doesn't happen. There is ususally more to the story and maybe that's not always visible to you, as a regular member - just pointing that out.

• Love
Reactions: Antinous, Praestat_Mori, betternever2havbeen and 2 others
gonegirl1

gonegirl1

Student
Oct 12, 2023
So you didn't give me an example. Are you just here to incite flame wars? That's how it looks like with you starting this thread with accusation directed at staff and when asked about a very specific example, because you're obviously talking about a very specific member, you refuse to answer. Like there is literally no reason for me to respond to your thread when you can't give me an example of someone supposedly being banned for the wrong reason. If you'd rather beat around the bush, that's up to you but I can assure you, we don't ban people for no reason. And certainly not because they're a little too optimistic, that literally doesn't happen. There is ususally more to the story and maybe that's not always visible to you, as a regular member - just pointing that out.
The member's username was Enlighten

Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
Yeah, there must have been behind the scenes stuff. I don't know what happened either.

Reactions: voyager
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Enlightend perfectly well knows why he was banned.
He clearly didn't agree to the forum rules, even after explaining a few things to him last week.

Calling us all " suicidal sheep" is only more reason why he should not be here.

• Wow
Reactions: Antinous, kitty_kat, Praestat_Mori and 10 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
Is it wrong to laugh about the "suicidal sheep" part? I just think that's funny wording.

• Yay!
Reactions: jar-baby, kitty_kat, dizzdesi and 4 others
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
This is such a confusing debate for me to constantly see on this site because I don't think it's as black and white as pro-life and pro-death.

I think it's good to have a forum full of different beliefs, regardless of if they're irritating or you disagree with them. I love that we can talk openly about suicide here and not deal with the constant flood of toxic positivity. But to be completely honest I do think it's dangerous for this site in particular to become an echo chamber

If "pro-life" people are coming in good faith (and aren't straight up harassing other members obviously) I don't think that's worthy of a ban

• Love
Reactions: gonegirl1
Amyend88

Amyend88

A&E
Oct 22, 2023
Pro-lifers will never sign up here in 'good faith'.
To go to that effort screams 'agenda'.

Reactions: Antinous, dizzdesi, voyager and 5 others
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
I read and reread this and I agree with you on the echo chamber bit as well as the more open nature of suicide in general because don't we all know how much of a relief it is to be able to actually talk about suicide without getting people whining at the thought about actually talking about it in a way that makes them personally uncomfortable. The debate is insane, for sure. I honestly see this as what it is shown to be; pro-choice. Nothing more nor less. I like the nuance and being able to openly talk and vent what needs to be out since bottling things up for long periods of time just doesn't work out best in the end and no other "support servers" allow the type of venting I need to let out. This is practically the only place I can actually let it all out and not be demonized nor get told to call a hotline or whatever.
As for the "pro-life" thing; gonna have to disagree with you there. The effort put in to sign up and get on here show intent and meticulous planning on their end because you have to go out of your way to search this place in a sense. I really don't think pro-lifers join out of much kind intention other just minced words.

Reactions: gonegirl1 and todeswunsch
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Someone has to really stand out and make themself annoying repeatedly, or break rules repeatedly to be banned. Mods are very lighthanded with the ban hammer.

This isn't supposed to be a forum for people of all different beliefs. It has a specific purpose, which is to offer a space where people who are considering suicide can get comfort and support from others who feel the same way.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like someone was here trying to encourage people not to ctb after they talked about having a plan to do that.

Last edited:
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
This is such a confusing debate for me to constantly see on this site because I don't think it's as black and white as pro-life and pro-death.

I think it's good to have a forum full of different beliefs, regardless of if they're irritating or you disagree with them. I love that we can talk openly about suicide here and not deal with the constant flood of toxic positivity. But to be completely honest I do think it's dangerous for this site in particular to become an echo chamber

If "pro-life" people are coming in good faith (and aren't straight up harassing other members obviously) I don't think that's worthy of a ban
Last week we received reports from users who felt very uncomfortable with the banned user.

He joined under false pretences, that alone is enough to ban .

The user mentioned had every opportunity to go and speak to users in the recovery section. But has apparently not much respect for our users anyway by calling them * suicidal sheep"

If you don't agree with our rules , that's absolutely fine. Nobody is forcing you to stay.

Reactions: Meditation guide, gonegirl1, Antinous and 8 others
february in alaska

february in alaska

wandering aimlessly
Sep 13, 2023
Last week we received reports from users who felt very uncomfortable with the banned user.

He joined under false pretences, that alone is enough to ban .

The user mentioned had every opportunity to go and speak to users in the recovery section. But has apparently not much respect for our users anyway by calling them * suicidal sheep"

If you don't agree with our rules , that's absolutely fine. Nobody is forcing you to stay.

Fair enough. I didn't really look into this specific person, I was just giving my opinion in general.

• Hugs
Reactions: gonegirl1 and Myforevercharlie
Engström

Engström

hyvää yötä ♊︎
Oct 27, 2023
Is it wrong to laugh about the "suicidal sheep" part? I just think that's funny wording.

Speaking of "suicidal sheep", I was reading about this sheep who has been stranded for 2 years in the Scottish Highlands - no rescue in sight. Pobre.

IMG 4210

If I were over there and yes, easier said than done but still - IF I were over there, I'd at least try and free the sheep from the weight of all that fleece. When it rains, the poor thing must be struggling.

'The poor ewe has been on her own for at least two years – for a flock animal that has to be torture, and she seemed desperate to make contact with us on the two occasions we've gone past her.

Is this the loneliest sheep in Britain?

Link for full story if interested

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Valky, gonegirl1, kitty_kat and 7 others
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
Speaking of "suicidal sheep", I was reading about this sheep who has been stranded for 2 years in the Scottish Highlands - no rescue in sight. Pobre.

View attachment 121995

If I were over there and yes, easier said than done but still - IF I were over there, I'd at least try and free the sheep from the weight of all that fleece. When it rains, the poor thing must be struggling.

'The poor ewe has been on her own for at least two years – for a flock animal that has to be torture, and she seemed desperate to make contact with us on the two occasions we've gone past her.

Is this the loneliest sheep in Britain?

Link for full story if interested
This really makes my heart break..poor girl :(

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Valky, kitty_kat, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
whats the thing with banning users saying they're "pro life"?

anyone that doesn't incentivate people to kill themselves in here is considered a pro lifer? this is supposed to be a pro choice site, not pro death.

As others have mentioned, this is a "Pro Choice" group, as far as I have ever seen. Which means that there are specific forums for those of us who choose to ctb; and a whole other forum (Recovery Section) for those who decide to try to find a meaning and cause to continue on in life.
You seem to be generalising from one particular egregious case. In fact there are many areas within the group which are very positive in terms of trying to adopt and follow reasons for living.
As far as Admin are concerned, they seem to me to be remarkably laidback and unobtrusive in how the site is moderated.

• Love
Reactions: Meditation guide, gonegirl1, Antinous and 3 others
Engström

Engström

hyvää yötä ♊︎
Oct 27, 2023
  • Love
Reactions: Valky and Myforevercharlie
NotDeanNorris

NotDeanNorris

Oct 30, 2023
whats the thing with banning users saying they're "pro life"?

anyone that doesn't incentivate people to kill themselves in here is considered a pro lifer? this is supposed to be a pro choice site, not pro death.
I haven't been back long but I think it's the negging and toxic positivity getting them banned? I usually got deactivated from lack of use, hence why I'm allowed to come back.
I certainly want to live, but sometimes really need the catharsis of knowing I have a safe space to talk about suicide, because really it does put me in a better place to know I'm not crazy for thinking this world is fucked up.
But I'm not going to actively encourage others to live or die. Also this website is kinda the only place that doesn't suck total ass to browse besides some niche subreddits.
I'm here for antitherapy sentiment because I fucking hate therapy pushers. BS part of toxic positivity culture.

Reactions: gonegirl1
NotDeanNorris

NotDeanNorris

Oct 30, 2023
He clearly didn't agree to the forum rules, even after explaining a few things to him last week.

S
you can get deactivated for that?
It was VERY prolonged lack of use and it might have been my own doing actually. Hard to remember. I had 2 accounts. One I know I deleted myself and one I don't remember deleting, but hadn't logged into for months. The mods have been kind enough to let me rejoin despite being back and forth on whether I want to be here. I realize I like having some community.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Engström, betternever2havbeen and 2 others
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
you can get deactivated for that?
No, don't think so. After they threatened me during my welfare check to hand out my stuff, I destroyed the whole paper trail to this place. Without looking I don't know my e-mail and for a while couldn't recall my password. Almost became locked out. Account was fine when I finally remembered and logged back on.

Must be another reason therefore.

Reactions: Life_and_Death and R_N
dizzdesi

dizzdesi

Oct 13, 2023
I'm not really sure on the echo-chamber people are referring to. Perhaps it depends on the post, but if people are giving their ~varied opinions~ on any post other than a discussion posts, I don't see the purpose. I mean for the most part I just want methods lol not looking for recovery. But that's just me, I respect others' opinions

Reactions: Meditation guide and gonegirl1
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
No, don't think so. After they threatened me during my welfare check to hand out my stuff, I destroyed the whole paper trail to this place. Without looking I don't know my e-mail and for a while couldn't recall my password. Almost became locked out. Account was fine when I finally remembered and logged back on.

Must be another reason therefore.
I don't think I logged in here for 3 years +.

I came back recently and was never crossed.

Reactions: voyager
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
The good thing about this website is the freedom to discuss all topics about suicide. Before I found this site, I was banned from a couple of 'suicide forums' and a depression support Telegram group, for being too blunt discussing suicide. One forum didn't even allow methods to be named. It restricted participation so much that it was impossible to discuss anything more than at a surface level and you weren't allowed to be too negative. I just found it so frustrating, it was just like real life where you can't say anything too negative or you get hospitalised or people get worried. I think this site strikes a good balance. Obviously we all know it has many critics but for people who have experienced or are experiencing suicidal ideation, it can be a great help to share those thoughts here without being censored. It's definitely not pro-death here imo; rather people are respectful of personal autonomy, something that sometimes is dismissed or ignored IRL.

• Love
Reactions: RainAndSadness, voyager, raindrop9 and 4 others
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Where I live, anyone who mentions they are considering ctb is sent to a psychiatric ward by law and locked in there for at least three days, and more if they have insurance to pay for it probably, most likely as long as their insurance pays.

So there is literally no one I can tell about these thoughts. This is it. And I am relieved to not be bombarded with people trying to lock me up for talking about it or trying to talk me out of it.

Reactions: RainAndSadness and ThisUnrest
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
Where I live, anyone who mentions they are considering ctb is sent to a psychiatric ward by law and locked in there for at least three days, and more if they have insurance to pay for it probably, most likely as long as their insurance pays.

So there is literally no one I can tell about these thoughts. This is it. And I am relieved to not be bombarded with people trying to lock me up for talking about it or trying to talk me out of it.

You have no idea how sane and sensible you sound to most of us on this site.

• Love
Reactions: RainAndSadness, Meditation guide and ThisUnrest
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

Sep 9, 2023
This is literally the only place I can let out what's really going on in my head without people being squeamish and uncomfy or misconstruing what I say. At least no one here's throwing me the hotline number and saying I'm being too negative or that I'm faking or what have you. This place seems to be the only one where I can vent about stuff usually labelled as "blacklisted topics" or "NSFL" without people bitching and complaining that I'm making them uncomfy with my venting.

Reactions: RainAndSadness and Meditation guide
steppenwolf

steppenwolf

Not a student
Oct 25, 2023
Pro-lifers will never sign up here in 'good faith'.
To go to that effort screams 'agenda'.
So SS members should start a witch-hunt and report the 'pro-lifers' to the mods? What is a 'pro-lifer'? How do you identify one? You could say that it's anyone who hasn't committed suicide yet. It seems that the people who are best able to read the minds of pro-lifers and identify them for the rest of us poor 'suicidal sheep', keep committing suicide for some reason.

I think the word he was looking for was: 'lemmings'. And I don't think he was a 'pro-lifer' trying to talk anybody out of committing suicide, far from it. I assume he was trying to mock the afflicted and increase their misery. Hence the ban.

Reactions: Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
So SS members should start a witch-hunt and report the 'pro-lifers' to the mods? What is a 'pro-lifer'?

No need for a witch hunt, we know them when we see them if they go around trying to talk people out of ctb'ing especially on final goodbye threads.

Reactions: RainAndSadness, Seered Doom, Myforevercharlie and 1 other person