D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Well I'm having one. Any advice?

My medical issues make it hard for me to cope so I try to control every detail of things from the start because if I mess stuff up I don't have the physical ability to adapt. This kind of behaviour looks autistic to the docs so I'm being assessed.

I'm concerned about getting another mental health label whether it's accurate or not. I've found so much discrimination from being under the mental health people. Everything gets blamed on depression even obvious physical stuff.

Will an autism diagnosis be of a benefit to how I'm treated by professionals or a detriment? I'm interested to hear other people's options and experiences.

• Hugs
Reactions: SimplyTopHat, Sensei, aloneintheworld and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
It depends. For the people who know me IRL and know that I have Aspergers, I do get some allowances for faux pas in public, but in other cases, I'd just get ignored or treated like an outcast, someone who isn't really a part of the group. As for professionals who know, I do think they would talk to you differently and maybe ask different questions versus just assuming you are an NT (neurotypical). So in short, some people may be more empathetic towards you while others may just oust you or become hostile.

Reactions: enigmática saudade
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I cant really advise but can say that i am in the final part of the autism assesmen (uk) its the adir interview whereby they ask somebody close to you about the way you are. Ive done a ton of reading on it and it seems very common for autistic people to have co morbid conditions that go with autism ie depression and anxiety and others. My personal belief is that i presented to the gp with depressive symptoms at 18, 21 years ago and was simply treated for that, and my likely autism was missed ever since. I have no i dea if a diagnosis can help, my guess is on a personal level it may explain why things have gone wrong at times and take away some guilt and self blame. But i still think we are in a society that knows very little about it or even cares, particularly if its high functioning autism. I dont believe there is a cure. I have read that some people are prescribed adhd drugs(as apparently the two conditions can often overlap in symptoms) i also read that autistic people are much more likely to ctb than neorotypicals, so maybe its under diagnosed and many more depressed people have it but go un noticed. Wouls love to hear the previous commenters thoughts on this who has experience.
Thanks

Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
I have read that some people are prescribed adhd drugs(as apparently the two conditions can often overlap in symptoms) i also read that autistic people are much more likely to ctb than neorotypicals, so maybe its under diagnosed and many more depressed people have it but go un noticed.
You are right. Autism and AHDH have identical external symptoms that develop from different internal causes.
Sometimes they even show up together.

Reactions: Sensei
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
You are right. Autism and AHDH have identical external symptoms that develop from different internal causes.
Sometimes they even show up together.
Thank you for clarifying. Im being tested for both. Do you know of anyone that has had any success with the medicines for adhd or is it the usual ssri s?
Thanks

Shero

Shero

Experienced
Dec 19, 2019
Thank you for clarifying. Im being tested for both. Do you know of anyone that has had any success with the medicines for adhd or is it the usual ssri s?
Thanks
I had not good experiences with those types of medication, but mostly because it interfers with my physical illness.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thanks for the replies.

Oh hell yeah I'm not taking any medications for it if it comes to that. If I am on the scale I'm high functioning. Last thing I need I'd more side effects to manage. Any autistic behaviours is the least of my worries.

Reactions: WearyWanderer and Polly
A

aloneintheworld

Student
Dec 12, 2019
I'd like to hear an update about this later on and about the process. I have a strong feeling I am autistic too but I am wondering if it's worth going through the process of it if there will be benefits in a diagnosis. I've also been judged and told no way when brought up to close minded therapists and people. Ugh life is hard navigating

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'll keep you informed. My assess is on Tuesday.

• Love
Reactions: aloneintheworld
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Thank you. I always find it so weird with health professionals. I know this will sound arrogant (oh well) but I usually feel like I'm a lot cleverer than the professional who is judging (sorry, assessing) me. I feel like I have to manipulate them to come to the decision I want because their guidelines and flowcharts don't make sense. Tomorrow will be an interesting experience and I will keep an open mind but be on my guard also.

A

aloneintheworld

Student
Dec 12, 2019
I feel the same way I feel like health professionals can be clueless in a lot of aspects

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Haha it didn't happen. There was 10 minutes of light snow on Tuesday. None of it stuck. I got a call asking if it was OK if he cancelled because he didn't want to drive in the snow.
Haha how ironic. I'm practically housebound and he's afraid to drive after a little sleet.
I also pointed out the irony of assessing me for autism then changing the date.
Oh well I don't really care tbh I was fine with it.

• Aww..
A

aloneintheworld

Student
Dec 12, 2019
Haha it didn't happen. There was 10 minutes of light snow on Tuesday. None of it stuck. I got a call asking if it was OK if he cancelled because he didn't want to drive in the snow.
Haha how ironic. I'm practically housebound and he's afraid to drive after a little sleet.
I also pointed out the irony of assessing me for autism then changing the date.
Oh well I don't really care tbh I was fine with it.
Wait I am confused how was it ironic the he was assessing you for autism and then changing the date? I am sorry that you weren't able to have your assessment did he at least give you a soon replacement appointment?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
They think I may be autistic because I have trouble adapting to new situations. Then they change the date.
I actually find in tough to adapt because I'm ill and almost housebound but they don't consider that a thing because I have a mental health diagnosis.
Yeah I got another date. The lass that has been dealing with it was cool about it.

A

aloneintheworld

Student
Dec 12, 2019
They think I may be autistic because I have trouble adapting to new situations. Then they change the date.
I actually find in tough to adapt because I'm ill and almost housebound but they don't consider that a thing because I have a mental health diagnosis.
Yeah I got another date. The lass that has been dealing with it was cool about it.
Totally understand :(

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
And this assessment is due tomorrow. he's actually coming to my house. IF the rain and bad weather doesn't frighten him off. last time he was afraid to drive in the sleet/rain. I actually can't answer the questions on the forms because many of them don't make sense. They are full of double negatives and are inconsistent, almost as if they are trying to get you to respond in a certain way. lol I know it sounds paranoid, but you should see the questions. its almost like one of those mail order forms designed to trick older people into accepting marketing junk.

a.n.kirillov

a.n.kirillov

velle non discitur
Nov 17, 2019
Why do you even do it? Are there any benefits from an autism diagnosis where you live?

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Why do you even do it? Are there any benefits from an autism diagnosis where you live?
I suspect not. And I'm not sure i want another label. I'm doing it because I said I would. I promised my sister as it was her idea.

Reactions: a.n.kirillov
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Assessment done. What a crock. Another professional who has decided on things as soon as he walks through the door. It was an exercise in turning everything I said against me. You could see the consternation in his eyes as I didn't answer the way he wanted and the pleasure when honest responses gave him ammunition. I don't need to progress things, but if I don't doctors will see me as being resistant to their help. And if I do I'm saddled with another label that I don't believe is true. Sod this for a game of soldiers. I can't win.

• Aww..
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I've thought about this some more. He took my answers and told me that from what I'd entered on the forms, I wasn't autistic. But he still thought I was. Er... so what are the forms for then? If your forms don't provide an accurate assessment, then what confidence can I have in your 'hunch' despite evidence to the contrary? He really didn't like to hear that I was a sociable person and was isolated due to illness, not choice.

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
My medical issues make it hard for me to cope so I try to control every detail of things from the start because if I mess stuff up I don't have the physical ability to adapt. This kind of behaviour looks autistic to the docs so I'm being assessed.
Omg same lol .

Several conditions , bad memory (insomnia) , many pills , food to avoid , need preparation to 'function' , etc . So there's a tight routine and I'm fidgety (physical distress throws body off balance) . Therefore some psychiatrists speculate I have Schyzoid Personality Disorder , which appears similar to Asperger . Things like lack of social life , impatience , detachment , "weird" habits and answers :wink: The underlying cause is irrelevant to them -- just what one displays , and first impression , based on psychiatrist's "intuition" . And only now , after I've written that , I read the last post --
from what I'd entered on the forms, I wasn't autistic. But he still thought I was. Er... so what are the forms for then?
Snake oil doctors :)

Healthcare 2020 -- no medical treatment -- sent to psychiatrists & swept under the rug

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Healthcare 2020 -- no medical treatment -- sent to psychiatrists & swept under the rug
Sorry, I'm awful, I only just saw your reply.
Yeah, this is what I think is happening to me.
When I was younger I did consider if I might be schizoid but discounted it. I was self absorbed as a kind of defensive mechanism. I realised this as I aged and became more comfortable with myself.
But the doctors love their labels.
Quacks!

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Sorry to tag on to this thread but felt I could contribute. After waiting for a Yr and doing the two tests, I was diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder on Tuesday. 39 years old UK. I did it because I wanted access to support etc and you need a diagnosis for most services. What has become very apparent is that there isn't much support out there for adults. Nearly everything is children/adolescent based. It's frustrating to go through the mental health services for 20 yrs and not one mental health professional spot it in me. Awareness of high functioning autism in the UK is shockingly low and I'm not sure if the benefits of a diagnosis at the moment.

Reactions: Suicide_vampire
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Sorry to tag on to this thread but felt I could contribute. After waiting for a Yr and doing the two tests, I was diagnosed with autistic spectrum disorder on Tuesday. 39 years old UK. I did it because I wanted access to support etc and you need a diagnosis for most services. What has become very apparent is that there isn't much support out there for adults. Nearly everything is children/adolescent based. It's frustrating to go through the mental health services for 20 yrs and not one mental health professional spot it in me. Awareness of high functioning autism in the UK is shockingly low and I'm not sure if the benefits of a diagnosis at the moment.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. What you say seems to support my fears. Even if I am technically on the spectrum, I question what use a diagnosis is now that I'm 47. I suspect its just a box ticking exercise and I'm better of on my own without another label.
Sorry to hear of your issues with this. :aw:

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. What you say seems to support my fears. Even if I am technically on the spectrum, I question what use a diagnosis is now that I'm 47. I suspect its just a box ticking exercise and I'm better of on my own without another label.
Sorry to hear of your issues with this. :aw:
Thanks underscore. I think you said you were in the UK? Yeah no support really and this might sound silly but. I get the idea that the higher up the spectrum you are, the more screwed you are because you support needs are not as obvious.
There is some relief in a diagnosis as I've realised that not everything I have fucked up has been because I'm a bad person lol. But I get the idea that a late diagnosis doesn't change things much, just confirms that you are screwed lol

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
They really hate it when i tell them things like this. I think I'll con them tbh into not being on the spectrum. However, I know them lol they will look at the forms and say 'the forms say you are not autistic, but we still think you are.' So...er...why fill in the forms if they are indicator? They have actually already done this once, I'm meant to be filling in even more forms. I get the feeling that anyone they assess they have automatically decided in a positive diagnosis, or they wouldn't have been referred in the first place. Confirmation bias.

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
They really hate it when i tell them things like this. I think I'll con them tbh into not being on the spectrum. However, I know them lol they will look at the forms and say 'the forms say you are not autistic, but we still think you are.' So...er...why fill in the forms if they are indicator? They have actually already done this once, I'm meant to be filling in even more forms. I get the feeling that anyone they assess they have automatically decided in a positive diagnosis, or they wouldn't have been referred in the first place. Confirmation bias.
Yeah I was won dering how many people get diagnosed that they test it must be fairly high

Suicide_vampire

Suicide_vampire

In Vino Veritas
Feb 11, 2020
I'm 47 and was just diagnosed with Autism, just over a year ago. I was very annoyed with the lack of support/services for adults receiving a late diagnosis. They are no where to be seen. So you get a diagnosis for a condition that has up till that point caused massive upheaval in your life and then told the NHS doesn't support adults with high functioning autism.
I mean we were failed as children with it not being picked up, failed by mental health services for the continuing years. Then given a diagnosis and failed again.
Seems 99.9% of funding for autism goes into children and I'm seeing the same trend in mental health services nowadays. Our generation just seems to be the continuing forgotten generation.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Mm80 and Deleted member 1465
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I'm 47 and was just diagnosed with Autism, just over a year ago. I was very annoyed with the lack of support/services for adults receiving a late diagnosis. They are no where to be seen. So you get a diagnosis for a condition that has up till that point caused massive upheaval in your life and then told the NHS doesn't support adults with high functioning autism.
I mean we were failed as children with it not being picked up, failed by mental health services for the continuing years. Then given a diagnosis and failed again.
Seems 99.9% of funding for autism goes into children and I'm seeing the same trend in mental health services nowadays. Our generation just seems to be the continuing forgotten generation.
Couldn't agree more with this.

Reactions: Suicide_vampire