Ob La Dee

Ob La Dee

Aug 4, 2021
Atheist, Agnostic, Religious, or Spiritual?

I was just wondering about the spiritual/religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of SS members.

I was an atheist for most of my life. I truly believed that this is all there is, that we are a biological accident and when we die it's oblivion.

Now I'm not so sure. I have been reading books about Buddhism and have become more "spiritual" for lack of a better word. Still not sure how I feel about the whole reincarnation thing though.

What are your spiritual beliefs? What do you believe happens when we die and why?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fragile, Luchs, AtMostOkay and 1 other person
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Atheist. I believe there is nothing after death (literally nothing, you wont even feel anything). Why? Seems the most logical to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: J031, CuriousAboutThis, tabletop and 13 others
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
agnostic/spiritual

Reactions: BetweenRadioStations and hʚll
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I am stored in my brain. When my brain dies, I will disappear.
But how can I prove that my "soul" won't survive my death & be sent to hell since I'm an unrepentant sodomite?
I can't. Can you prove that my "soul" won't travel to Uranus & inhabit the body of an immortal invisible flying platypus with 8 huge penises who is always milking himself & having mind-blowing orgasms?

phineas and ferb perry GIF

I may as well post this for the umpteenth time -

Sam Harris:
"Now, we know this from 150 years of neurology where you damage areas of the brain and faculties are lost and they're clearly lost, it's not that everyone with brain damage has their soul perfectly intact and they just can't get the words out, everything about your mind can be damaged by damaging the brain. You can cease to recognize faces, you can cease to know the names of animals but still know the names of tools... the fragmentation in the way in which our mind is parcellated on that level of the brain is not at all intuitive and there's a lot known about it, and what we're being asked to consider is that you damage one part of the brain and something about the mind and subjectivity is lost, you damage another and yet more is lost, and yet if you damage the whole thing at death, we can rise off the brain with all our faculties intact, recognizing our dead grandma and speaking English."

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, PartlyHuman, iscrewedup and 8 others
BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit

Staring at the edge
Apr 28, 2021
But how can I prove that my "soul" won't survive my death & be sent to hell since I'm an unrepentant sodomite?
I can't.
The utter ridiculousness of that proposition is enough to disproof it tbh. Especially the sodomite part is incomprehensibly arbitrary to the point where it can only be the product of the irrational and superstitious minds of human beings.

Also, I think that sentiments like "no one knows what happens after death" are immensely hypocritical. These people gladly make use of our knowledge in biology and physics to guide their lives, but as soon as their brains shut off it's suddenly all a great mystery and unpredictable. As illustrated by that great quote from Sam Harris.

Reactions: AtMostOkay and Ob La Dee
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
The utter ridiculousness of that proposition is enough to disproof it tbh. Especially the sodomite part is incomprehensibly arbitrary to the point where it can only be the product of the irrational and superstitious minds of human beings.

Also, I think that sentiments like "no one knows what happens after death" are immensely hypocritical. These people gladly make use of our knowledge in biology and physics to guide their lives, but as soon as their brains shut off it's suddenly all a great mystery and unpredictable. As illustrated by that great quote from Sam Harris.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Also, I think that sentiments like "no one knows what happens after death" are immensely hypocritical. These people gladly make use of our knowledge in biology and physics to guide their lives, but as soon as their brains shut off it's suddenly all a great mystery and unpredictable.

Exactly. Here's one more thing I repeat a lot:

What is "you" & where is it stored? Are you the same "you" that you were as a baby & will you be the same "you" if you live to be 60/70/80? You won't because your "you" is stored in your brain & your brain is changing all the time. Which version of "you" will wake up in the afterlife after your dead brain has begun to rot & where the hell will it come from?

Unfortunately, most of us are wired to be unrealistic self-soothers, wishful thinkers & greedy morons who want to live FOREVER!!!

I Want It All Need GIF

Reactions: Off The Air, stygal, BottomlessPit and 1 other person
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
i know that science says it is very unlikely that there is an afterlife, and i don't think near death experiences count as the person was never actually dead (death includes brain death as well as the death of all other organs) but the fact is that there is no way to know for sure (as a living person) if there's something more after we die. that's what makes life so mysterious and terrifying.

Reactions: Ob La Dee
electrojellysoup

electrojellysoup

Apr 19, 2021
Atheist. I don't believe in psychological or identity continuity. We are constantly dying and always changing a la Ship of Theseus or panta rhei. Death is as mundane a transition as any moment to another moment.

Reactions: zenn7 and motel rooms
Rhaiyne

Rhaiyne

"To be - or not to be.... That is the question"
Jul 4, 2021
I thought I had a near death experience once and it was terrifying. I just tell myself it was due to overdose and all the chemicals. If there is some sort of life after death where its like a repeat to fix mistakes we made in this life, I will be mortified. I will be sure to be checking bus routes there.
I like the idea of life after death if we could make it as we wanted it but i fail to believe that there is actually life after death. What on earth would the point be?
I'm not a believer or follower of any religion. I believe then to be dangerous and mass producing mindsets that don't make any logical sense to me. So saying that, I'm not sure where I would fit.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
Death - giving people crazy ideas since 300000 BC.

• Yay!
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, zenn7, AtMostOkay and 4 others
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Agnostic/atheist. It seems to be that God doesn't exists. As the knowledge/understanding of the world and god doesn't appears, there is less and less chance that god exists. It's like faeries. With almost all the emerged earth explored, no one saw a faerie. They exists? Hardly. Same with God. if someone finds proofs of god, i'll believe. Meanwhile, it's unsure at most

(For not talking about nature of God. Perhaps it isn't a "True" god. Perhaps just a overwhelmingly interplanar/stelar entity. would the bacteria of our intestines consider us a god? The complexity and scale is huge)

sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
if there is a god, he/she/it does not appear in this life in this world. (from what i'm thinking) "god" is supposed to be the keeper of the afterlife or something. i feel like i can only talk about the afterlife in a spiritual sense, seeing as it has no place in science. in fact it has been suggested that the whole idea of god was a sign of schizophrenia in the ancient world. (something i heard, have not done any research)

Ob La Dee

Ob La Dee

Aug 4, 2021
in fact it has been suggested that the whole idea of god was a sign of schizophrenia in the ancient world.
I also think the "prophets" were schizophrenic. When someone claims to be a prophet in this day and age they are locked away in a psych ward. Have you ever read the story of Abraham? Quite a tale. Became a dad with his barren wife at the age of 99. Was willing to murder his son Isaac to prove his belief in God. At the last minute an angel told him not to go through with it. There's quite a bit more to the story but I'll leave it alone.
Good times...

Reactions: Off The Air, zenn7 and sadbadpsychogirl
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I am an atheist. I believe there is nothing after death, there is no evidence of any afterlife, once we lose consciousness that is it for us. I think it is like before we were born, where time passed and yet we were not aware of anything.

Reactions: stygal, Skathon and Ob La Dee
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
Atheist, Agnostic, Religious, or Spiritual?

I was just wondering about the spiritual/religious beliefs (or lack thereof) of SS members.

I was an atheist for most of my life. I truly believed that this is all there is, that we are a biological accident and when we die it's oblivion.

Now I'm not so sure. I have been reading books about Buddhism and have become more "spiritual" for lack of a better word. Still not sure how I feel about the whole reincarnation thing though.

What are your spiritual beliefs? What do you believe happens when we die and why?
I don't really know. I was raised catholic, dabbled a bit in spiritual new age stuff online. I believe that we are born again after death. We came from nothing abd go to nothing, ashes to ashes, dust to dust. But since we came from nothing once, I see no reason that it can't happen again.

Reactions: newave3, sadbadpsychogirl and Ob La Dee
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
yeah "prophets" can be very dangerous. the more followers they get, the better chance of them abusing their ( imagined) power. the best example being warren jeffs. for what its worth i definitely don't believe in prophets. i even see the pope as a false idol. claiming to have supernatural powers... i don't like the idea of any organized religion.

Reactions: tabletop, zenn7, draw a circle and 1 other person
deflationary

deflationary

Fussy exister. Living in the epilogue
Mar 11, 2020
Atheist. And if God does exist he's getting slapped.

• Yay!
Reactions: Dear Agony, 9BBN, zenn7 and 3 others
D

draw a circle

out.
Apr 10, 2020
in fact it has been suggested that the whole idea of god was a sign of schizophrenia in the ancient world.

I also think the "prophets" were schizophrenic. When someone claims to be a prophet in this day and age they are locked away in a psych ward.
For me I've heard (just in passing, i didn't do any research) that it was bc of the drugs that were popular back in the day. Don't take my words for it though lol
I'm agnostic i think? I hate my current religion but not for deep reasons, i just think most of their rules are weird and i don't like how my entire identity is a sin (depends on how you inteprets the holy book but mostly yes), among other things. I sometimes talked to an acquaintance who is christian, and he openly thinks that my religion is bullshit too though christianity and islam are similar in some ways, i like the way christians think about their god and their belief and their definition of afterlife. But i don't want to associate myself with it either.

I'm somewhat spiritual i guess. I like the idea of reincarnations and the existence of multiple gods. I believe in a higher power, but not in the way that my religion portrayed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: sadbadpsychogirl and Ob La Dee
Neurodoom

Neurodoom

This file is corrupt and cannot be opened.
Aug 13, 2019
Agnostic leaning towards atheist. Trauma consequently diminishes faith or purpose in the grand scheme and ceases to produce any type of hope. In my opinion ask anyone who has had a NDE and apart from a minority usually their experience leads more towards complete oblivion. It would be nice to have stayed there.

• Hugs
Reactions: stygal, AtMostOkay and Ob La Dee
sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
For me I've heard (just in passing, i didn't do any research) that it was bc of the drugs that were popular back in the day. Don't take my words for it though lol
I'm agnostic i think? I hate my current religion but not for deep reasons, i just think most of their rules are weird and i don't like how my entire identity is a sin (depends on how you inteprets the holy book but mostly yes), among other things. I sometimes talked to an acquaintance who is christian, and he openly thinks that my religion is bullshit too though christianity and islam are similar in some ways, i like the way christians think about their god and their belief and their definition of afterlife. But i don't want to associate myself with it either.

I'm somewhat spiritual i guess. I like the idea of reincarnations and the existence of multiple gods. I believe in a higher power, but not in the way that my religion portrayed.

that definitely makes sense too. i was raised half assed catholic and i am an abomination in the catholic church. i also think polytheism makes more sense than "one true god"

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: WillSterben, draw a circle and Ob La Dee
D

depressed21

Jul 7, 2021
I am agonistic . As much as I want to be an atheist I can't help but believe there must be a god

• Love
Reactions: Dear Agony, filthyrottendirty, ncmxm and 1 other person
nex

nex

Student
May 3, 2021
Atheist. Used to be agnostic. even Christian as a child and then again in my early 20s.

Truth is, belief in the Christian God or in any other God has nothing to back it up. Wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't made so many claims that have been proven to be false. I can't be agnostic anymore in the light of the objectively false claims Christianity makes.

There's not a single reason left to even stay on the fence. Christianity has failed to explain anything.

Now Christianity is not the only religion, notably I respect Taoism for its philosophy and for its origin story that is less at odds with logic and science than the Abrahamic one is.

But then again, it's very vague and barely says anything. Science goes far beyond the vague claims of Taoism. And science is the best we have. Science means that any theory will be instantly proven false once there's proof that it's wrong. This means that theories that have withstood the test of science are pretty fucking good, as opposed to religious claims that are regularly disproven.

I believe there is no God because there is not one single good reason to believe so. Taoism doesn't get away just because it's so vague.

Any religion will have to provide me one good reason to believe in it or to even accept it. No religion has ever provided one.

Reactions: tabletop, Ob La Dee and zenn7
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I am not religious (anymore) but I do believe there is a chance of an afterlife. Yes. One way or another we are all going to find out eventually.

Reactions: Luchs, Ob La Dee and LionsTigersAndBears
Meliæ

Meliæ

In recovery
Aug 8, 2021
I believe in ghosts , ancient entities, demons and gods, life after death and reincarnation. Seems logical to me, but I respect all beliefs

• Love
Reactions: ncmxm, Ob La Dee and draw a circle
B

Bigpink

Warlock
Oct 12, 2020
I believe in Superman

Reactions: tabletop, Ob La Dee, draw a circle and 2 others
domedune

domedune

the stars will aid my escape
Dec 18, 2019
I'm an atheist and agnostic. One can be a theist and agnostic too. Some people think agnostic means "less sure atheist" but that's not true.

I'm not spiritual in any significant way. One time I was paranoid and thought maybe a ghost visited me but I quickly snapped out of it.

Reactions: Ob La Dee and draw a circle
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I'm an atheist and agnostic. One can be a theist and agnostic too. Some people think agnostic means "less sure atheist" but that's not true.

I'm not spiritual in any significant way. One time I was paranoid and thought maybe a ghost visited me but I quickly snapped out of it.
an atheist/agnostic. Sounds like an oxymoron to me.