duwangJEff

duwangJEff

Sep 12, 2023
At this point in time, I would not say I am properly suicidal. I have a strong urge to live. However, I'm unhappy with life, and I feel rather hopeless and isolated, and I often feel I have little value as a human.

I often find myself thinking about suicide, how I'd want to go, how I'd do it, what notes if leave behind, etc. But so far, I don't think I'm serious about it. I feel some sort of morbid comfort in the idea that I can CTB to escape what seems like a hopeless existence, and so far I think it's just a comforting idea to me. A way I can still slip out of a life that foesnt fulfill me.

But at what point does this ideation become serious? Is it serious already? Am I just dismissing it because I still have a strong will to live? Because I don't feel serious about it, I sort of feel like a poser being here at all... but the thoughts don't go away.

What do you guys think? Was there ever a point where suicidal ideation became "serious" for anyone else? I'm open to whatever you guys have to say

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, DeadlineDialer and anhedonicNfoggy
U

undecided

Experienced
Aug 25, 2023
Everyone's different, some days we can feel more 'suicidal' than other days. Some people are impulsive and if something kicks them over the edge they might attempt. Some are intent and plan their ctb to make certain it doesn't fail. Some can live with suicidal ideation for the rest of their natural lives. Some pray that terminal illness will take them out, some live for years without suicidal ideation, then a tragic life event can send them spiralling again. Some live with mental illness that will cause them to be 'up then down'. But I know you know all of this, it's complicated.

Reactions: fatty44, DeadlineDialer and anhedonicNfoggy
ToTheTwillight

ToTheTwillight

Experienced
May 19, 2023
Prolifers would consider suicidal ideation at the very instant you have a serious manifestation of it. But the way you respond to it, is kind of what is serious for yourself. It depends how seriously you care about living versus dying

B

bluebus

meet me at the back of the blue bus
Aug 5, 2023
It's different for everyone. We're all here because of our own reasons.
But do I get what you mean. I still have a strong urge to live. I don't want to die. I want to keep living and enjoy life. But unfortunately, the circumstances that have arose in my life have made is so that life is not worth living. The life that I knew, the life that I thought I would live, the life that I want to live, is no longer possible. And I have no reason or want to live with these new circumstances. In short, I'd rather be dead than have to live through an existence that I know will be miserable and terrible. If I could do away with those problems that are causing me to ctb, I would gladly keep living. But my case is definitely not the norm. Most people here I would say have struggled with these thoughts and ideations for quite some time, and it is always sort of a battle.

• Hugs
Reactions: fatty44, AshH, DeadlineDialer and 1 other person
DeathSleep

DeathSleep

Unstable Potato
May 25, 2023
Depends... some people would say having constant thoughts is serious. Others say if you have a plan. Or a plan with with intent to carry it out. It's different for different people. I think it became serious for me when I started buying stuff and testing out different methods. But maybe that was too late in the eyes of some.

Reactions: DeadlineDialer and undecided
D

DeadManW

Sep 17, 2023
My ideation got "serious" a few months ago when I was diagnosted with chronic pain. Before that I was the same as you, I though of suicide as something comforting, but I also wanted to live. So to answer your question I think that it takes something bad and irreversible to turn your ideation more "serious".

• Hugs
Reactions: undecided and anhedonicNfoggy
Himalayan

Himalayan

"Wake up to reality, nothing ever goes as planned"
Sep 30, 2022
When you join sasu

• Yay!
Reactions: LonelyKitten and AshH
vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Imo suicide ideation is itself serious. It lays the way and conditions you down that direction.

To be clear I am pro-choice, but my suicidal urges are the product of depression and ideally with the right treatment I can have a good life. The depression says this is impossible. Still trying to figure out if it is right.

For me the ideation has become an ingrained stress response. I suspect all the thought and planning has brought me closer to actually doing it.

• Hugs
Reactions: fatty44
duwangJEff

duwangJEff

Sep 12, 2023
Imo suicide ideation is itself serious. It lays the way and conditions you down that direction.

To be clear I am pro-choice, but my suicidal urges are the product of depression and ideally with the right treatment I can have a good life. The depression says this is impossible. Still trying to figure out if it is right.

For me the ideation has become an ingrained stress response. I suspect all the thought and planning has brought me closer to actually doing it.
It definitely feels like a stress response. I'd say that's what it is, 9 times out of 10. Tired of feeling pain, stress, despair, etc? Just CTB and stop feeling anything.

On another note, I think most depression/mental illness is a result of being stuck in shitty conditions. Some is a result of neurochemical issues, of course, but the world is kind of miserable right now. I've heard that the #1 factor in life satisfaction/happiness is having quality relationships with people. This is something that is extremely lacking nowadays. Community is dead, everyone is alone and isolated. Nobody knows their neighbors. Most social interactions are online. Not yo mention a bleak future, given economic trends. With that in mind, why wouldn't tons of people be depressed? I think a lot of depression would go away if genuine, real-life connections with other people were easier to make

Reactions: ElysiumRain