• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Do You Have to be “Worthy” to Have Depression?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure/Depends

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Unsure and Useless

Unsure and Useless

Drifting Aimlessly without Roots
Feb 7, 2023
Sometimes, whenever I'm in a deep conversation with someone about depression and/or suicide, the subject of someone "not being qualified" for having depression/anxiety is brought up.

Usually, this statement is followed by something along the lines of, "Their life seems so easy! What is there to be depressed about?"

Some of the things that give them this impression were:
  1. Their gender gives them certain privileges that allows the individual to coast through life
    • A specific example of this was how, according to one individual, women didn't have to do much work since all they had to do was settle down with a man with money to be well-off
  2. Their parents covered any financial issues
    • I'm not sure how to properly word this reason, but some examples I've heard was that A) the parent(s) paid for medical expenses rather than leaving the person—for context, the age range would be 18-22—to figure it out on their own and B) the parent(s) helped pay a significant amount or all of the person's student loans
  3. Their parents don't beat them
    • Self-explanatory
Generally, I don't like to assume that a person is "worthy" or "unworthy" of having depression. It just felt wrong to assume that you have the right to determine the validity of someone's depression by using your own biased and skewed perspective of qualifications since, first of all, you don't know the entire story behind an individual (and probably never will).

Second, who's to say that you're worthy of having depression? To you, maybe you are justified in having it, but to others, this may not be the case. The classic "There are children starving in Africa" argument is a good example of this. Someone could be neglected by a cold guardian and unable to reach out to anyone, but at least they have clothes on their back and a chance to get food, unlike the poor children in Africa. The standard is so high that no one is able to reach it.

Finally, what's the point in categorizing someone based on their worthiness of depression? At the end of the day, they're still going to be depressed, if not more so from the fact that someone thinks their feelings aren't valid.

What do you guys think though? Are there just some people who shouldn't be depressed?

fwompie

fwompie

pit rat
Aug 9, 2023
Depression isn't something you choose to have. It doesn't always have an external cause like poverty, abusive environment etc. Somebody could be living a seemingly perfect life and still suffer from depression.

On one hand it's fair and equal, it doesn't discriminate.

Feeling depressed is a whole other thing from suffering from depression. Someone can feel depressed because their girlfriend broke up with them but that doesn't mean they have depression.

tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
Never heard anything so daft, to be honest.

hellispink

hellispink

poisonous
May 26, 2022
the problem is, it doesnt matter those circumstances really, what matters is life is hell. You can be in the top of the world have everything and life is still hell. In order to survive this world you need to be delusional lie to yourself constantly and live life like a robot. There is many of us who are very awake, once you awake you cant go back to sleeping mode which is the state most normies are in

Reactions: Jolene79 and azad
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
What a stupid question. Some of the richest and most powerful people are deeply depressed, some of the poorest are the most happy.

Depression is a brain problem, not a life style one.

Also depression and wanting to CTB are not the same thing. I'm not depressed but I just realise how pointless life is, we are all going to die anyway, we are only here to breed and slave away.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
Those people just sound so insensitive honestly, it's not their place to tell other people how to feel as other people just aren't them, they cannot experience existence in the same way.

Reactions: tiger b