N

noname223

Archangel
Aug 18, 2020
Today I watched my favorite philosophy show the topic today was suicide once again. It is produced in Switzerland where they are more liberal the language is German. I disagreed with a lot of statements but some quotes were really interesting. The quote is very very hard to translate I might prefer to mediate it.

I won't add much of my thoughts I want to post something else today. There might be some truth in the quote. I am very suicidal and kind of thoughful.

Thoughtful, sensitive and quirky people who struggle to live a pragmatic somewhat good life might see suicide (I think as a notion or maybe also possible action) as an extreme seismographic spike which is important for their inner constitution

He adds one should not get blinded by it. I think he means one should not get lost in these thoughts I disagreed with a lot of things he said but this was pretty interesting. I see myself in that quote a lot. I have real existential questions since I was very young and they are part of my mind and daily life. Others more pragmatic people might could fade them out. Focus on daily routines and responsibilities instead. I am way too broken for that. But I think also if I was not that thoughful suicide might be an option depending on the life quality.

I debate suicide a lot. And it is difficult not to get lost in that. So that it does not render me utterly useless. I could relate to some videos of young sensitive men who cried the shit out of themselves shortly before killing themselves. Recording themselves before doing it. I think I will be heartbroken and the agony will torture me. I will always ask myself why exactly my life had to such nightmarish. But the pain will beat my SI anf force me to do it.

Maybe existential questions are for me a way to cope. The sole notion of an escape is relieving for me. Maybe it is also a coping mechanism to imagine my own self-determined death. Venting on here helps not to kill myself or to postpone it. Maybe there is a desire for self-destruction, tragedy and catastrophe in some of us?

I think I will end it here. What do you think? I think there were many thoughful members for whom this description fit.

Last edited:
S

samsara_96

Sep 27, 2022
I think that mental pain becomes unbearable after a certain point, akin to physical pain, and people become suicidal after that threshold. It's likely that sensitive people reach that threshold sooner than others. All people self-reflect and self-doubt but some people prefer to ignore the implications of their own mind's interrogation until the day their physical bodies can't handle the ridiculousness of existence anymore. Sensitive people are able to see the truth earlier and since they cannot unsee the truth, they cannot just return to their ignorant selves. So, I disagree that not getting blinded by existential questions is an option. Either you become aware of these questions early in your life and spend the rest of your life debating them or you face them when you're older. The society prefers the second option mostly because the first one results in political activism, suicide, new religions and philosophical schools emerging. And society is always scared of being destroyed.

So I don't really support treating suicide as an action unnatural to men, as if poeple have a choice to stop the suicidal thoughts emerging from their self-reflection faculty. I am not pessimistic about life either. I believe that there are lives worth living in times and places that are happier than our own, such as in pre-agricultural communities where pain was distributed randomly at the mercy of nature. However, if suicide stops being a tragedy and starts being a statistics, then we need to accept that the first option is more natural to humans because a society that pushes significant amount of people to suicide is not one that deserves to be salvaged. So, I would advise people to do the opposite of what he is saying. Do not ignore your struggles because that is the only way to build a better society. You don't necessarily need to hurt yourself either, in fact I would advise the younger ones to hold onto life as much as they can to see if a better day will come. But I will also never understand why some people hate the idea of these dark thoughts taking over so much. Number of uprisings and enlightenment stories happened thanks to people dealing with these thoughts. There is no reason to vilify them unless you are scared of change.

Last edited: