• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

I

ion900

Student
May 4, 2018
My opinion on religion is that is was once more pure and directly related to the truth but then it got jumbled up by those at the top in order to take us farther away from god. Essentially karma and having positive vibrational frequency is important.

W

WakingUpFrightened

Jun 24, 2018
Buddhism is interesting, and I often hear about it in religious discussions on forums like this one. I can see why it would interest people like us, but I firmly believe that religions are all lies made to make reality more bearable for people or to explain things that science can now explain, so I just can't bring myself to believe in any of them.

YaYaDr

YaYaDr

Student
Jun 26, 2018
Can't prove space exists
Ah yes, the problem of hard solipsism. It's true, we can't prove space exists anymore than we can prove we are not a brain in a vat. People have been struggling with this since there have been philosophers. Presuppositionalists claim to solve this problem by presupposing the existence of God, but their arguments are based in circular reasoning and begs the question, how do you really know that God exists. Regardless of which, I like to live the remainder of my life based in reality. So long as my senses continue to produce reliable results, then that's as close to the "truth" as I can get. For the time being, that will have to suffice. :^)

I

ion900

Student
May 4, 2018
Ah yes, the problem of hard solipsism. It's true, we can't prove space exists anymore than we can prove we are not a brain in a vat. People have been struggling with this since there have been philosophers. Presuppositionalists claim to solve this problem by presupposing the existence of God, but their arguments are based in circular reasoning and begs the question, how do you really know that God exists. Regardless of which, I like to live the remainder of my life based in reality. So long as my senses continue to produce reliable results, then that's as close to the "truth" as I can get. For the time being, that will have to suffice. :^)
Speaking in terms of matter you can see and feel, space is not something that be proven to exist. Sure there is something making the lights in the sky, but there is no proof all the Hubble images are real. Much of what is required to prove we went to the moon is not existing. The version of space taught in school is based on assumptions and not fact. To me, the fact that the version worships the sun, is an indicator that the powers that be have a horse in the race. How do we have solar flares if we are tens of millions of miles away from the sun? How did dinosaurs exist? They're mass would be too great to stand with. Did the earth have less gravity when they existed? Did the earth expand? I'm not talking about the idea of everything is possibly false because of the objective nature of perception. I am saying using observational science, space's existence is not proved by the sight of lights in the sky or Hubble images. We cannot verify a lot of things.

YaYaDr

YaYaDr

Student
Jun 26, 2018
Speaking in terms of matter you can see and feel, space is not something that be proven to exist. Sure there is something making the lights in the sky, but there is no proof all the Hubble images are real. Much of what is required to prove we went to the moon is not existing. The version of space taught in school is based on assumptions and not fact. To me, the fact that the version worships the sun, is an indicator that the powers that be have a horse in the race. How do we have solar flares if we are tens of millions of miles away from the sun? How did dinosaurs exist? They're mass would be too great to stand with. Did the earth have less gravity when they existed? Did the earth expand? I'm not talking about the idea of everything is possibly false because of the objective nature of perception. I am saying using observational science, space's existence is not proved by the sight of lights in the sky or Hubble images. We cannot verify a lot of things.
I think I understand your perspective. You seem to be quite inquisitive. This is good, always better to ask questions than to take answers for granted. A lot of your questions though are better directed towards archaeologists, paleontologists, astonomers, physicists, etc. I am just a suicidal person on a small forum :^)

On the other hand, if you mean to say that you can't see or understand the evidence, therefore it's not true, then that's logically flawed. By this logic I can justify any claim based on my ignorance. Santa Clause is real, nobody can explain why some children mysteriously receive presents during Christmas, therefore it's true. Luckily we don't live in such a world though sometimes I wonder.

One last thing, and I don't mean to incriminate you of anything, but this is just something I've heard from peddlers of conspiracy theories. Apparently, all scientists conspire to suppress "real" research and that the truth if known would topple society. This couldn't be further from the truth as scientists make a living refuting and disproving other scientific theories. Don't believe someone's research? Do your own, publish the results in a respected journal, and have other scientists evaluate your work. If your theories survive the rigors of peer review, then congratulations. Get ready to receive your Nobel prize. Most conspiracy theorists don't go this far and instead just claim the scientific community is all in on this. This claim is in itself without evidence so in the absence of any proof, the only option is to reject the claim.

This doesn't stop conspiracies though so I offer a challenge. To those who are religious, make a prediction based on religion that science has not made. This prediction has to be clear (ie. not some vague claim like there will be war, famine, and disease) and specific (no predicting hurricanes in the near future, give an exact date). After that, repeat the prediction with another one. Do this and I might acknowledge there maybe something to this religious stuff. :^)

Reactions: Soon4me
shinitai

shinitai

Jun 28, 2018
I was forced into Christianity from birth, and it's fucked me up ever since. I think having a faith must be comforting, but nothing in me can believe in an afterlife. Maybe it's denial.

Tomasnil

Tomasnil

Mage
Apr 24, 2018
I kind of remember seeing something about statistics that there is a 69 or 71% chance there is a god.
That was starting from50/50
Now i dont belive in god or is religious but i have in my wil that i am to be berried with a fire extuingisher. Just for the hell of it

Soon4me

Soon4me

Enlightened
Jun 15, 2018
TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
not religious: there is no such thing as religion... but have had encounters with sentient biengs that have both shown me (Tibetan buddhism) creative and destructive forces of universe. paganism taught me to love creative and destructive forces of nature: i pray for help (Catholic mercy) with my soul sickness and the strength to end my life. without burdening others.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I'm spiritual.