S

Skal

Sep 22, 2022
I'm considering cutting the carotid artery. I know this is not a recommended way to off yourself and that it would cause so much pain, but for the past 5 years I've tried hanging myself over 100 times and every attempt has failed, due to my cowardice.
I've tried almost every possible way, like partial suspension, full suspension, getting drunk to the point of puking, putting handcuffs on my hands, etc., Every time I'm almost passing out, there comes this very weird sensation inside my head that I just can't stand with, and eventually I can't help but stop hanging. After failing over 100 times, I gave up the idea of hanging myself.
But I can stand with the pain. Even when I did the full suspension, I could put up with the intense pain that comes from putting my full body weight on the neck. So, pain itself is not the problem. That said, I want to minimize the pain and the risk of failing, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried this and failed so I can learn from their mistakes.
Thank you in advance.

(Some may point out that it takes a lot of force to get through all of the muscle and tissue and to the carotid artery. To solve this problem I'm considering using my body weight; place the blade properly in front of the carotid artery, hold the knife with both my hands and fall with my body weight on top of it.)

Last edited:
TraumaEscapee:)

I hate my birth family
Apr 30, 2023
I'm considering cutting the carotid artery. I know this is not a recommended way to off yourself and that it would cause so much pain, but for the past 5 years I've tried hanging myself over 100 times and every attempt has failed, due to my cowardice.
I've tried almost every possible way, like partial suspension, full suspension, getting drunk to the point of puking, putting handcuffs on my hands, etc., Every time I'm almost passing out, there comes this very weird sensation inside my head that I just can't stand with, and eventually I can't help but stop hanging. After failing over 100 times, I gave up the idea of hanging myself.
But I can stand with the pain. Even when I did the full suspension, I could put up with the intense pain that comes from putting my full body weight on the neck. So, pain itself is not the problem. That said, I want to minimize the pain and the risk of failing, so I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried this and failed so I can learn from their mistakes.
Thank you in advance.

(Some may point out that it takes a lot of force to get through all of the muscle and tissue and to the carotid artery. To solve this problem I'm considering using my body weight; place the blade properly in front of the carotid artery, hold the knife with both my hands and fall with my body weight on top of it.)
How did you survive full suspension. That's quite rare. What did you use to hang yourself and what was your anchor point. You should have been out in a few seconds.

Reactions: athiestjoe and Skal
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
I assume your failed attempts are from partial, you don't normally fail full suspension, once you step of the chair that's it unless your anchor point breaks. You also don't fail cutting the carotid artery the problem lies within being able to cut it successfully. It's nearly impossible to do so, which is why cutting has around a 2 percent chance of efficiency.

Reactions: Skal
S

Skal

Sep 22, 2022
Have you tried night night?
Didn't know about this method but sounds interesting. I saw a news report that an inmate offed himself by tying several socks together to make a ring, placing the ring around his neck, putting a chopstick between his neck and ring and rotating the chopstick to tighten the ring until it cuts off the blood flow. This sounds similar to that. I might try this before going for the artery cut. Thanks for the info.

How did you survive full suspension. That's quite rare. What did you use to hang yourself and what was your anchor point. You should have been out in a few seconds.
I used a pull up stand to hang myself that had places to put my foot on (like this one), so I could stop hanging whenever I wanted to. I've tried surrounding the inside of the stand with cardboard so there's no place I can put my foot, and also putting handcuffs on my hands so I can't use my hands to escape, but even with that I failed 3 times. Each time the handcuffs made me so scared I couldn't stop but start breathing while hanging. And the funny thing is, trying to breathe while hanging stopped me from passing out. I don't know why, but I couldn't pass out even though my full body weight was being put on my neck. And because my neck was choked tightly, I could barely breathe, which made me suffocate and I struggled desperately to escape. While doing so somehow I managed to put my foot on something and I survived. After that, I struggled with the intense pain from the suffocation, which was more agonizing than the hanging itself haha.
I assume your failed attempts are from partial, you don't normally fail full suspension, once you step of the chair that's it unless your anchor point breaks. You also don't fail cutting the carotid artery the problem lies within being able to cut it successfully. It's nearly impossible to do so, which is why cutting has around a 2 percent chance of efficiency.
As I said above I used a pull up stand, which is why I could escape. And because I can't go out of my house this is the only way to hang myself, so I can't rely on other options where you can't escape once you step off the chair. As for the 2 percent success rate, is there a source for that?

Last edited:
T

tiredofliving14

Sep 20, 2024
Just here to say I also survived full suspension. No clue how. I used a very very thin rope. I hung there suffering for what felt like forever before I climbed onto a shelf beneath me to get down. Neck was all bruised for a while. Never lost consciousness and it was unbearably painful

I hate my birth family
Apr 30, 2023
Didn't know about this method but sounds interesting. I saw a news report that an inmate offed himself by tying several socks together to make a ring, placing the ring around his neck, putting a chopstick between his neck and ring and rotating the chopstick to tighten the ring until it cuts off the blood flow. This sounds similar to that. I might try this before going for the artery cut. Thanks for the info.

I used a pull up stand to hang myself that had places to put my foot on (like this one), so I could stop hanging whenever I wanted to. I've tried surrounding the inside of the stand with cardboard so there's no place I can put my foot, and also putting handcuffs on my hands so I can't use my hands to escape, but even with that I failed 3 times. Each time the handcuffs made me so scared I couldn't stop but start breathing while hanging. And the funny thing is, trying to breathe while hanging stopped me from passing out. I don't know why, but I couldn't pass out even though my full body weight was being put on my neck. And because my neck was choked tightly, I could barely breathe, which made me suffocate and I struggled desperately to escape. While doing so somehow I managed to put my foot on something and I survived. After that, I struggled with the intense pain from the suffocation, which was more agonizing than the hanging itself haha.

As I said above I used a pull up stand, which is why I could escape. And because I can't go out of my house this is the only way to hang myself, so I can't rely on other options where you can't escape once you step off the chair. As for the 2 percent success rate, is there a source for that?
Why aren't you allowed out of your house? Are you in a psychiatric institution?
Just here to say I also survived full suspension. No clue how. I used a very very thin rope. I hung there suffering for what felt like forever before I climbed onto a shelf beneath me to get down. Neck was all bruised for a while. Never lost consciousness and it was unbearably painful
I hope you're ok. I'm sorry you went through this. Out of 30 attempts at hanging in my whole life (partial suspension) there was only ever twice when I genuinely felt no pain and like I was going to pass out peacefully. The other times it was the exploding head feeling. I hate the idea of anyone doing that and literally just suffering. I would hope anyone who did that just died quickly and peacefully with zero pain.

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I mean this with all due respect: if you cannot handle the pain of hanging (this is not be discounting how painful hanging is, I've failed it rather recently partially due to the pain), you are not going to be able to cut your carotid. You must have read my post where I stated you have pretty much no shot to begin with unless you're in a state of psychosis. The mind and body will stop you. And if you are already backing out of a method due to the pain, switching for another even more painful method with an even lesser chance of success isn't going to do anything but land you with a nasty cut on your neck but alive. There is a reason this method is highly, highly cautioned against.

Reactions: imdonewithallofthis, Skal and Romanticize
Romanticize

Romanticize

Aug 22, 2024
I tried to cut my wrists and carotid artery. SI and pain was too strong, and i didnt manage to go deep enough.

Ambulance came, they stitched my neck and wrists and arms, and next 2 weeks i spent in a psych ward.

Cutting sucks, one of the worst methods out there.

EDIT: I fully agree with the @willitpass post above.

Reactions: ladylazarus4 and Skal
S

Skal

Sep 22, 2022
Why aren't you allowed out of your house? Are you in a psychiatric institution?

I hope you're ok. I'm sorry you went through this. Out of 30 attempts at hanging in my whole life (partial suspension) there was only ever twice when I genuinely felt no pain and like I was going to pass out peacefully. The other times it was the exploding head feeling. I hate the idea of anyone doing that and literally just suffering. I would hope anyone who did that just died quickly and peacefully with zero pain.
Well it's more like I've been a total shut-in for 5 years now and never gone outside in that time, and I'd rather die alone in my room than go outside :)

I mean this with all due respect: if you cannot handle the pain of hanging (this is not be discounting how painful hanging is, I've failed it rather recently partially due to the pain), you are not going to be able to cut your carotid. You must have read my post where I stated you have pretty much no shot to begin with unless you're in a state of psychosis. The mind and body will stop you. And if you are already backing out of a method due to the pain, switching for another even more painful method with an even lesser chance of success isn't going to do anything but land you with a nasty cut on your neck but alive. There is a reason this method is highly, highly cautioned against.
Well like I said in the op post, I'm ok with the pain of hanging, it's more of this very weird sensation in my head when I'm about to pass out that I can't stand with (Not sure if other people also feel this sensation or if it's just me). After over 100 attempts, I've basically become immune to the pain
(I gradually increased the load on my neck, starting with both feet on the ground, then one foot, then one toe, and finally full suspension). But I assume cutting would be a different type of pain, so that's a point of concern for me.

I tried to cut my wrists and carotid artery. SI and pain was too strong, and i didnt manage to go deep enough.

Ambulance came, they stitched my neck and wrists and arms, and next 2 weeks i spent in a psych ward.

Cutting sucks, one of the worst methods out there.

EDIT: I fully agree with the @willitpass post above.

How did you try to cut it? I'm also worried about not going deep enough so I'm considering diving into the floor with a knife positioned in front of the carotid artery, so that I can push the knife into the artery with my body weight, just like this guy (Gore warning: don't click on it if you don't like that sort of thing).

R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
As for the 2 percent success rate, is there a source for that?
It's better explained here in detail on why it isn't recommended.

A

athiestjoe

Sep 24, 2024
Unless someone is a surgeon, methodically cutting the carotoid seems like not very viable of an option. If the SI instincts led a failure to partial hangings then I can't imagine how strong it would be towards trying to cut the cartoid. Just my little 2 cents (probably worth even less). Wishing that you find serenity & peace and whatever it is you are looking for.

Romanticize

Romanticize

Aug 22, 2024
@Skal l No i didnt jump with my full body force on knife which is pointed to my neck, no - thats the crazy method, SI will kick in so hard that only maniacs [or people in psychotic state] would be able to do it.
I just put a sharp butcher knife [held in right hand] to a neck and pushed hard against it and made front-back movement. when i was maybe 1cm deep, a lot of blood was dripping and pain was unbearable and i had to stop. It was far from being a fatality though. Ambulance took me to ER [it was like midnight] and a surgeon stitched me, it took several stitches. I had also cuts on my wrists and arms. Directly after stitching I was directed to a psych ward, it was a must stay [I couldnt get released on my will]. Only after 2 weeks observation and when they saw that I dont have strong suicidal ideations, they released me.