couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
In his central work Die Philosophie der Erlösung (The Philosophy of Redemption or The Philosophy of Salvation)[9] – according to Theodor Lessing, "perhaps the most radical system of pessimism known to philosophical literature".[Note 1] Mainländer proclaims that life is absolutely worthless, and that "the will, ignited by the knowledge that non-being is better than being, is the supreme principle of morality."[Note 2]

the backstory is quite interesting aswell

when the first copy of his book arrived he used it as a platform to hang himself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philipp_Mainländer

Reactions: Ixtab, lv-gras, Maravillosa and 1 other person
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
Yes, I know him and I agree with most of what he says. He was inspired by Schopenhauer. These two based their findings of the original form of Buddhism. The western world has perverted buddhism into a hippie-cult. It was orginally a form of self-annihalation to find nirvana aka Non-existence by suicide. This is partly the reason why I am killing myself.

He did kill himself too, right after he finished his work at the age of 35.

Last edited:
Reactions: couldntthinkofaname, lv-gras and Maravillosa
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
Yes, I know him and I agree with most of what he says. This is partly the reason why I am killing myself.

He did kill himself too, right after he finished his work at the age of 33.

very poetic in some way

there isnt a english translation of his work isnt there?

what a shame

Reactions: lv-gras
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
very poetic in some way

there isnt a english translation of his work isnt there?

what a shame

I think there is some on the internet but it is very hard to find. Some people translated it but not literally.

It is quite long and I don't think anyone has thoroughly read through it all except a few philosophy students(that's the case with most academic literature). You really need a shit ton of time to read and understand his work. It takes years but I doubt that it is worth it.
His work is a reasoning as to why non-existence is preferable. After all it is rejected by most people so even fewer actually care.

Last edited:
Reactions: couldntthinkofaname and lv-gras
couldntthinkofaname

couldntthinkofaname

Mage
Aug 31, 2018
I think there is some on the internet but it is very hard to find. Some people translated it but not literally.

It is quite long and I don't think anyone has thoroughly read through it all except a few philosophy students(that's the case with most academic literature). You really need a shit ton of time to read and understand his work. It takes years but I doubt that it is worth it.
His work is a reasoning as to why non-existence is preferable. After all it is rejected by most people so even fewer actually care.

well i might read it though

Reactions: lv-gras
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
I've read a brief introduction to it. It's fascinating to me . That guy is very inspirational to me . I basically agree with him about non existence being preferable to existence.

Reactions: throwaway123 and couldntthinkofaname