TydalWave

TydalWave

Brutally Self-Aware
Sep 20, 2022
Previously, I had tried Paxil which spiked my anxiety so bad I had to stop.

I have been taking mirtazapine and lexapro for depression/anxiety. I thought it was doing something, but obviously here I am and am wondering if this is contributing to my suicidal thoughts.

I recently had my lexapro dosage bumped up from 10mg to 20mg and almost a week in, I am having mood swings like I have never felt.

Looking into other peoples experiences with SSRIs and these symptoms it seems there are two options:
- People with BP II often have mania excerbated by SSRIs especially at this dose.
- Some people claim that taking this dosage resulted in short term mania / moodswings but if you hang in there they go away.

Wondering if anyone out here has an actualy BP II diagnosis and can help me navigate this. I have family with BP II diagnosis... And some people only get one manic episode in there life, so I am genuinely concerned I may be treating the wrong thing. But I don't want to stop if this is just a normal reaction to the medication.

TydalWave

TydalWave

Brutally Self-Aware
Sep 20, 2022
Nobody really knows, it's so far from being an exact science. One of the six psychiatrists I've seen diagnosed me with bipolar two. I'm still not sure if that's the problem. I quit my meds and gave up on psychiatry four years ago. Good luck.
Link doesn't work for me but thanks for the reply. At least, I am in a mixed episode right now and my depression is keeping me sane lol.

Never knew you could feel both sides at once but, here I am. Will try it out a bit longer and see how it goes day by day.

western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
Yes. I am not bipolar but was diagnosed with it in 2013 after having a hypomanic reaction to an SSRI (Zoloft) over ten years ago. Really I had severe ptsd / worsening dissociative disorder. Spent years trying various other psych meds and still take lamotrigine (mood stabilizer) despite not being diagnosed with bipolar anymore since 2018. I had weird effects on other ssris, Lexapro made me sleep a lot and focus on my hobbies when I was awake at a detriment to doing other things in life like go to class.

TydalWave

TydalWave

Brutally Self-Aware
Sep 20, 2022
Yes. I am not bipolar but was diagnosed with it in 2013 after having a hypomanic reaction to an SSRI (Zoloft) over ten years ago. Really I had severe ptsd / worsening dissociative disorder. Spent years trying various other psych meds and still take lamotrigine (mood stabilizer) despite not being diagnosed with bipolar anymore since 2018. I had weird effects on other ssris, Lexapro made me sleep a lot and focus on my hobbies when I was awake at a detriment to doing other things in life like go to class.
Was lamotrigine effective? Do you still take anything for depression?

Same with the PTSD, and lexapro has affected my sleep a lot too. First time with a hypomanic reaction but 20mg is the max dosage so maybe that tracks.

Last edited:
western_heart

western_heart

trying to save ourself
May 23, 2021
Was lamotrigine effective? Do you still take anything for depression?
It helps reduce extreme emotional episodes I guess.

I take ketamine every 3 days for depression and ptsd. It's the most helpful drug I've had for that.