Lullaby

Lullaby

🌙
Mar 9, 2022
It's something I've gotten more embarrassed about since I turned 28. I was reading a Reddit thread and so many people were saying they'd never be friends with someone who was still at home.

I always had a hard time keeping employment due to my mental health, so I was never able to move out or at least have income to save enough to do so. I'm still struggling more than ever with my depression, but I have no choice but to find work. My home situation has always been toxic as well due to my mother.

My older brother came to visit this Summer and I heard him make some comments to my mom about me being spoiled because I'm still there, even though that's not the case and I would love nothing more for me to have my own place for once.

It's just something I always end up lying to people about because I'm afraid of being judged. I see so many at 18, 19 and early twenties on their own or living with partners.

Is anyone else here in the same position?

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog, chloramine, lofticries and 3 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
I was reading a Reddit thread and so many people were saying they'd never be friends with someone who was still at home.
they aren't worth being friends with then

Reactions: Skathon, Lullaby, come to dust and 4 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I'm 41 and I spend some time at my dad's and the rest at my gf's, I don't have a place of my own. Before this gf, I was exclusively living with my dad until I was 31

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog, LionsTigersAndBears, Lullaby and 2 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I'm 31 literally living at the basement. At some point I became so detached from society that the deep shame gets shoved under layers of alienation and contempt.
Its obviously very tough being so weak or burdened that you cannot do what is normal to almost everyone else.
Got a job now though.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MindFrog, lofticries, Lullaby and 1 other person
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
It's something I've gotten more embarrassed about since I turned 28. I was reading a Reddit thread and so many people were saying they'd never be friends with someone who was still at home.

I always had a hard time keeping employment due to my mental health, so I was never able to move out or at least have income to save enough to do so. I'm still struggling more than ever with my depression, but I have no choice but to find work. My home situation has always been toxic as well due to my mother.

My older brother came to visit this Summer and I heard him make some comments to my mom about me being spoiled because I'm still there, even though that's not the case and I would love nothing more for me to have my own place for once.

It's just something I always end up lying to people about because I'm afraid of being judged. I see so many at 18, 19 and early twenties on their own or living with partners.

Is anyone else here in the same position?

Don't stress about living at home with your parents - an increasing amount of young people do. I had just turned 30 when I finally got an offer for an apartment, so I took it. A colleague of mine also got his first apartment in his 30s.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Midnight-rain, lofticries and fastFWD
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
Yeah. But I plan on having no friends or partner in life period so it doesn't matter much to me. Everyone is judgmental af so why bother. I do wanna become financially independent though. That is my only goal in life until I reach an age where I say fuck it and hopefully ctb in my own place.

Edit: also fuck reddit.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: MindFrog, Lullaby, Celerity and 1 other person
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I boomeranged - moving out at 18 only to return at 24. I have remained for the past 5 years. At the wage I make now and the booming housing prices in my area, it would in fact be very stupid to move out. I would need to acquire several roommates or obtain a rich sugardaddy. Neither option appeals, so here I am, accumulating savings while my coworkers and acquaintances who stubbornly rent live paycheck to paycheck.

This is the only way I can afford school to make a better wage and eventually move out to live in much better circumstances. I actually could get a better job to move out, but that would require more hours than is possible with my schooling. Why would I sacrifice a much better future for a mediocre now? Life sucks right now, and I am embarrassed about a lot of it, but I have options a lot of people simply don't have after marrying, starting their careers, and accumulating debt.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lullaby and lofticries
C

come to dust

Arcanist
Oct 28, 2019
27 and at home with parents for the foreseeable future.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lullaby
P

paleperson

Sep 5, 2022
21 and when school is not in session I live at home. If I live to graduate I will probably still be at home.

Reactions: Lullaby
C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
24 and I'm still at home. I imagine it'll be a minimum of three years before I can move out. You're definitely not the only one

Alcoholic Teletubby

Alcoholic Teletubby

Rip in piss
Jan 10, 2022
Recently turned 24. My family is pressuring me to get a driver's license, but I'm so afraid of getting into an accident or accidentally killing someone. However, they continue to insist on this. I'm at a loss on what to do. It almost seems like it would be a service to kill myself.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog and lofticries
Raskolnikov's Axe

Raskolnikov's Axe

Aug 31, 2022
I'm twenty and didn't go to college after high school. I hope to enroll and leave home next year. The failure is not an option. If I don't leave this hole I grew up in, I'll do myself in.

Reactions: Conker
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Where I live (Southern EU) its fine to live with your family if you have a good relation with them, also in some surrounding countries.

US seems like a stressful place to live, you have to leave home at 18, have a super job, sounds very stressful unless you are from a well off background.

Last edited:
Reactions: Conker
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I don't care about where I live anymore really, as long as I have a roof over me. When we're young we get this feeling like we're behind everyone else if we don't achieve x, y or z by a certain time. But when you have enough shit piled on your plate you're just glad to have a shirt on your back and a meal in front of you.

With that said I guess it does depend how far "gone" you are. For those who still want something resembling a standard life, that kind of thing will matter a lot more.

Reactions: Emmie, Skathon and Celerity
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Don't feel bad living somewhere if you are unwell and have limited opportunities. I only live alone now because my mother is gone. If she was still here I would still be staying with her anyway, due to my mental health challenges.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes. I think that one of the disadvantages of not living alone is that it can make it more difficult to plan ctb as of course there's so much secrecy involved in planning to leave. I just hate how we live in a pro life society where suicide is so stigmatised.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and MindFrog
Inkling

Inkling

Mar 10, 2021
Nearing 27 and still at home, was kinda hoping my parents would kick me out because at least that way I'd have no reason to be a coward about following through with CTB. But that's a very weak excuse all things considered. Fortunately I don't talk to anyone in person to know if I should be embarassed about this or not.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
Where I live (Southern EU) its fine to live with your family if you have a good relation with them, also in some surrounding countries.

US seems like a stressful place to live, you have to leave home at 18, have a super job, sounds very stressful unless you are from a well off background.
Stress?? No, the US is actually a great place to be from, its a lotta fun here, huge country, friendly people--Departing home at 18? not these days! You're thinking way back in the 1970's lol--Today in the US, a huge number of kids stay with their parents until they're 25 to 30(housing prices gone thru the roof is one reason)and this is more true in the UK--Young people today are smarter to stay home and build up their wealth while working while and staying with Mom and Pop--I left home at 22 but I should of stayed there til was 30! lol it'd a been much easier

Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I think the US is highly individualistic and i don't like that, where I live the unity of the family is important, in my place (not UK) if you are lucky enough to have a good family, you don't have to go anywhere -unless you want to- which is not my case but i would love to.

Reactions: Celerity
LossOfMe

LossOfMe

"Petal by petal, I've witnessed a withered Spring"
Sep 14, 2022
28 years old here. I still live with my mom, which that itself isn't the issue. The problem is that I'm unemployed and not going anywhere with my college course.
It's hard to be an disappointment.

• Hugs
Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
i'm in my late twenties and i live at home. i could try to have an excuse that i'm physically disabled, but i've only been that way for about two years now and i didn't do anything before that. i've tried to go to college twice, i had one job for about two weeks. i definitely feel like a burden.

• Hugs