Q

qwerty012

Dec 20, 2021
Due to some personal reasons, I've been depressed for the last year. So I didn't really think much about getting an internship. I'm going to graduate next month and would like to get some experience to apply for entry level jobs. I would love to get some advice from someone working in the field.

Reactions: come to dust
steviewonder

steviewonder

Sexually Challenged
Nov 9, 2020
My advise to you is to take it easy and don't be too hard on yourself. You'll be able to find a job if there's not too much supply of Labour in your field. If there is you'll have to be better than your competitors in some way which can push you up in the chances of getting a job. The job markets crazy nowadays.

Reactions: qwerty012
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
my advise to you is to think about the future and to read about FIRE movement: financial independence/early retirement

Many IT folks live frugally, save and invest aggressively, and retire young. Wouldn't it be nice to have enough money to never work again?

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
The IT sector is quite vast. What, specifically, are you trained in? For example, there is networking, programming, web development, and IT support.

It would think that it's a good idea to search for your field of expertise using a search engine, and see if you can find advice about specific job interview techniques that are specific to the kind of job or internship that you are looking for. Also - if you have the time - you can take some online certificates to add to your resumé - from organizations such as LinkedIn (formerly known as Lynda.com) Udemy, and Pluralsight.

Reactions: hans0solo and qwerty012
Q

qwerty012

Dec 20, 2021
The IT sector is quite vast. What, specifically, are you trained in? For example, there is networking, programming, web development, and IT support.

It would think that it's a good idea to search for your field of expertise using a search engine, and see if you can find advice about specific job interview techniques that are specific to the kind of job or internship that you are looking for. Also - if you have the time - you can take some online certificates to add to your resumé - from organizations such as LinkedIn (formerly known as Lynda.com) Udemy, and Pluralsight.
Thank you for the advice. Do you work in the field? My major is data analytics but without experience, I think I'll have to find a help desk job first. At least, that's what I've been told.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Thank you for the advice. Do you work in the field? My major is data analytics but without experience, I think I'll have to find a help desk job first. At least, that's what I've been told.

I'm not an IT professional myself, but I do know other people who are, and I have also watched some YouTube videos about how to land a job in the industry. You can check out Eli the Computer Guy on YouTube - he has made some videos about job interview and similar things. His channel can be found here:

Here's one of his videos in which he talks about applying for jobs that you are underqualified for:

I suggest you look around YouTube for other channels, and also search for more information using a search engine, as well. What you are looking for is anything and everything that you can give you an edge at the job interviews, such as knowing what to expect.

From what I know of people in the industry, one major factor for getting a job is who you know, and now what you know. Another useful tip is to be prepared to give concrete solutions to problems. For example, programmers may be asked to write some actual code during an interview, so you should be prepared to do the equivalent in your field - I don't know what that could be, but at least be more prepared than just being ready to say what your favorite color is :wink:

If it turns out to be too tough finding a job, you might want to ask around among your former data analytics student pals, or possibly even a teacher, and see if they know about a job opening.

Q

qwerty012

Dec 20, 2021
I'm not an IT professional myself, but I do know other people who are, and I have also watched some YouTube videos about how to land a job in the industry. You can check out Eli the Computer Guy on YouTube - he has made some videos about job interview and similar things. His channel can be found here:

Here's one of his videos in which he talks about applying for jobs that you are underqualified for:

I suggest you look around YouTube for other channels, and also search for more information using a search engine, as well. What you are looking for is anything and everything that you can give you an edge at the job interviews, such as knowing what to expect.

From what I know of people in the industry, one major factor for getting a job is who you know, and now what you know. Another useful tip is to be prepared to give concrete solutions to problems. For example, programmers may be asked to write some actual code during an interview, so you should be prepared to do the equivalent in your field - I don't know what that could be, but at least be more prepared than just being ready to say what your favorite color is :wink:

If it turns out to be too tough finding a job, you might want to ask around among your former data analytics student pals, or possibly even a teacher, and see if they know about a job opening.

Thank you for the link! I've been working on some courses on Udemy. Eli's videos seem to have great content. I'll definitely watch them!

Reactions: Julgran
hans0solo

hans0solo

Dec 10, 2021
have you used R?

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
One more company that has online courses is CBG Nuggets.

Also, one more job interview tip is to not only answer technical questions directly. For example, if they ask you "Can you describe how process A works" (this might apply to whatever kind of question you might get), do answer just with the information that they are looking for, but expand the question into a converstion, like "Oh! You mean as it pertains to process B and work area C? Oh! I find that fascinating. You see - I'm very interested in this and have studied it - both at school and in my spare time by taking an online course". Also, try to sound relaxed as if you are talking to a friend.

Well, you probably get the point.