• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
It's like discovering a truth and trying to undiscover it.

I posted yesterday that I'm thinking of joining a church to help me cope. I've been talking to Catholics on an Internet forum about why I don't believe the Bible. I mentioned there's no good evidence of the supernatural. They come back with stigmatists and the miracle in the sky of Fatima, which both have valid criticisms against them.

I don't want to continue to be alone and disconnected from others but the cognitive dissonance fueled by religion may be an issue.

V

VX1

Student
Jun 28, 2018

I posted yesterday that I'm thinking of joining a church to help me cope. I've been talking to Catholics on an Internet forum about why I don't believe the Bible. I mentioned there's no good evidence of the supernatural. They come back with stigmatists and the miracle in the sky of Fatima, which both have valid criticisms against them.

I don't want to continue to be alone and disconnected from others but the cognitive dissonance fueled by religion may be an issue.

The citezens advice centres are always looking for volunteers.
Do an hour a week or more to suit you. Quite interesting too.

G

goggleboxers

Student
May 24, 2018

F*ck religion someone close as lost someone close (a number of people) over the past couple of years that for me there can be no God (I was a non believer in the first place!) as a God wouldn't pass that suffering on to people !! Do I have to even say Cancer / Children !! No 'kind' God would pass that ailment on to the innocent of innocents.

What I struggle is the conceit that's reasonably intelligent people that I know actually believe in this God !! Seriously

At the end of life, I believe anyway is life before you were born .... and we all know what that (or what that 'wasn't') was like

Last edited:
Definitelyworried

Definitelyworried

Jun 19, 2018
Yeah as of right now I wish I was never born, even though I had a good childhood.
And I think I could speak for almost everyone in the world, it would been better if they would had never been born. Cancer war, prison disease, death, poverty, emotions, nightmares, divorce, break ups fights, accidents, suicide, natural disaster, death, segregation, money, polution, drugs, health and mental disorders oh and did I mention death?
Yeah I think it would had been better if I never had been born.

Imaginos

Imaginos

Full-time layabout
Apr 7, 2018
Mindset? I wish. There's simply no ignoring or shutting one's eyes to the cold, hard, razor sharp edges of reality. Think of it like being trapped in an iron maiden. There's no reconciling or walking back from a tortuous existence like that. This isn't The Matrix and, as much as we might wish it were possible, we don't have the same choice that a character like Cypher had. To just go back to sleep in the nightmare seeking the bliss of ignorance as some sort of respite, only for the same pain to which you thought you had escaped to inevitably suffocate you into submission again. I can understand such motivations, though. In the end, despite the awful way Cypher goes about doing it, he's just a tired guy who wants to escape the unending horror of the reality he finds himself in. I can certainly relate a great deal with that, while also the way he describes his life. Even his ugliest qualities are things I can also see in myself. To be human, is to be internally stained with scum. In other words, we're all Cypher. It's just tragic that he didn't just kill himself, instead of harming others. That's the only true freedom after all and, ideally, we can all avail ourselves of it (unless you're me, that is).

I'm tired, Trinity. I'm tired of this war, tired of fighting, tried of this ship, being cold, and eating the same goddamn goop everyday.

Cypher - The Matrix

I feel this line from Chris Hedges also perfectly sums up what I'm trying to say. I'm just another burnt child who got too close to the pit. Hard not to when we're all burning alive in it.

Friedrich Nietzsche in "Beyond Good and Evil" holds that only a few people have the fortitude to look into what he calls the molten pit of human reality. Most studiously ignore the pit. Some, for Nietzsche, are consumed, however, by an insatiable curiosity, a quest for truth and desire for meaning. They venture down into the bowels of the molten pit. They get as close as they can before the flames and heat drive them back. This intellectual and moral honesty, Nietzsche wrote, comes with a cost. Those singed by the fire of reality become "burnt children," he wrote, eternal orphans in empires of illusion.

Chris Hedges - The Myth of Human Progress

man_in_hell-600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Eternal orphans in empires of illusion. Love this line and thanks for posting.
Mindset? I wish. There's simply no ignoring or shutting one's eyes to the cold, hard, razor sharp edges of reality. Think of it like being trapped in an iron maiden. There's no reconciling or walking back from a tortuous existence like that. This isn't The Matrix and, as much we might wish it were possible, we don't have the same choice that a character like Cypher had. To just go back to sleep in the nightmare seeking the bliss of ignorance as some sort of respite, only for it to all to inevitably suffocate you into submission again. I can understand such motivations, though. In the end, despite the awful way Cypher goes about doing it, he's just a tired guy who wants to escape the unending horror of the reality he finds himself in. I can certainly relate a great deal with the way he describes his life. Even his ugliest qualities are things I can also see in myself. To be human, is to be stained with scum. We're all Cypher. It's just tragic that he didn't just kill himself, instead of harming others. That's the only true freedom after all and, ideally, we can all avail ourselves of it.

I feel this line from Chris Hedges also perfectly sums up what I'm trying to say. I'm just another burnt child who got too close to the pit. Hard not to when we're all burning alive in it.

man_in_hell-600x450.jpg

Reactions: dano6533
D

Deleted member 847

After my attempt I was considering living, then I thought about all the crap that could happen to me in the future because of the mechanics of the world and how much I'll suffer. And now I still think the other side of the veil it's better for me than staying here. I mean, what if a car runs over me and I get paralyzed and unable to kill myself? Anything can happen.

R

ReleaseMe

I know it's over And it never really began
May 26, 2018
Some may consider me a pro-lifer for saying that, but if your main fear is what could happen in the future, maybe you should really try to live!
I mean I wish I had offed myself a couple of years ago, because every year that I just tried to keep going made things worse. But that was because I kept wasting my chances, my life, my youth, everything. Not deliberately, but because of depression, fear, i don't know what. A lot of it was probably.. fear of the future! - ironically, that was exactly what ruined my life!!

Still, I'd do anything to be able to start over 5 years younger!

Please don't be offended, it's your personal choice, I don't want to talk you out of anything!

D

Deleted member 847

Some may consider me a pro-lifer for saying that, but if your main fear is what could happen in the future, maybe you should really try to live!
I mean I wish I had offed myself a couple of years ago, because every year that I just tried to keep going made things worse. But that was because I kept wasting my chances, my life, my youth, everything. Not deliberately, but because of depression, fear, i don't know what. A lot of it was probably.. fear of the future! - ironically, that was exactly what ruined my life!!

Still, I'd do anything to be able to start over 5 years younger!

Please don't be offended, it's your personal choice, I don't want to talk you out of anything!

There are other issues in my life I have no control over (social anxiety disorder that destroys my soul and makes me submissive, awkward and unable to be someone in life). My body is also very damaged (hearing problems and vision problems). And I just can't live in a predator vs prey world, because I'm the fucking prey here and that's not fun. I understand what you're saying though.