S

sui4

Oct 11, 2020
Let's get real. Who has a MH diagnosis _you don't have to say what it is unless you want to) that your folks either don't understand, don't try to understand, or are embarassed by? Do they attribute anything you do to you being "ill"? Do they act like it doesn't exist? Do they exclude you from family gatherings? Share.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ERASED, specklenought and whywere
Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
I don't think my parents are embarrassed, but they don't want me posting to social media mental health stuff probably because they feel people don't need to know my business. I don't mind posting though (I don't post everything though)

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ERASED, whywere, sui4 and 1 other person
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
My mum was always looking for one. I'm ashamed of her

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere and Ghost2211
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
My parents are long gone, and they kicked me out at 18 when they found out I was bi. So if they would ahve know about MH type of a deal a double kick out.

• Hugs
Reactions: LittleJem and sui4
S

sui4

Oct 11, 2020
My parents are long gone, and they kicked me out at 18 when they found out I was bi. So if they would ahve know about MH type of a deal a double kick out.
Wow. Horrible. I'm #teampride all the way!

• Love
Reactions: LittleJem and whywere
specklenought

specklenought

Internet Cry Baby
Oct 2, 2020
So there's some MH stuff I share with my family or well have been forced to share out of like I had no control (i.e. depression, anxiety that sorta stuff when i was younger). But I have autonomy now over my mental health now and there is some MH diagnosis that I choose not to share due to stigma. Because I know it will only impact my relationship with my family and the way they treat/understand me (they both work in health, one in mental health too lol and they have openly spoken badly about ppl with my diagnosis in the past).

My psych actually encouraged me not to share these certain diagnoses with like institutions or like my school or work or GPs because of that same stigma, like telling them wont really get me better care or treatment but could in fact hinder it. I also think my family could like invalidate my diagnosis and say because they don't think i have it, i must not (I get this a lot from friends who are like but you don't seem like you have "XYZ") and I know they think its a compliment but my god does it suck.

I guess this doesn't fit your question, but I wanted to share and say that you don't have to always tell your family if it doesn't serve what u need or want. I know many people don't get this choice though.

Reactions: sui4
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
My grandma is ashamed of depression and sees it as being "too negative and pessimistic". I just slip in some optimism to appease her, and the issue goes away.

Reactions: muffin222 and sui4
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
My mum ❤️ accepted me wholeheartedly no matter what, my dad considered/still considers me an embarrassment.

Reactions: sui4