dragontale14

dragontale14

Sufferer
Jul 17, 2023
I've had the police called on me for calling the suicide hotline, and I didn't even make a threat. I've been hung up on by 988, I've had the bitch on the other end pretend she couldn't hear me, all of it. I started exclusively calling the Trevor Project because they don't call the cops, but even they have some shitty operators and a time limit.

Ultimately, every hotline is the same: they all try to act like nobody ACTUALLY wants to ctb and everything can just be solved with a 45-minute talk therapy session (except, with someone who isn't actually a trained therapist) and you'll "come to your senses." And, come to think of it, I guess that makes sense. People who actually are set on ctb don't call those hotlines... I guess I'm just an especially pathetic set who has nobody to talk to about ANYTHING except a captive audience. Ugh...

But I mean, even when I've been close and they "stopped" me, it was always by force, not any kind of acrual reassurance. I guess they're trained to not make unkeepable promises (a la, "it'll get better") but, idk... why do these exist exactly?

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: gonnaregretthis, Jan1193, ConstantPain and 13 others
G

Gonnerr

Enlightened
Mar 12, 2023
Never called and never will. Words won't solve my illness that is life and i want to die. No words.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life'sA6itch, FailureToAll, ConstantPain and 10 others
N

nucleosidal

Sep 28, 2023
I really feel like all they do is either serve to call the police on you or confuse/frustrate with their conversation so that you are successfully distracted from crisis through mind tricks

Reactions: ClownWorld2023, Skathon and dragontale14
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
You mean you don't want some 20yo with no relevant life experience to harp on how "strong" and "brave" you are?

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: RollingKinematics, Banshe, ConstantPain and 5 others
dragontale14

dragontale14

Sufferer
Jul 17, 2023
You mean you don't some 20yo with no relevant life experience to harp on how "strong" and "brave" you are?
Oops wait did I make it sound like that ISN'T what I want? Sorry, it's exactly what I want and needq

Wyldfyre4948

Wyldfyre4948

Waiting for my bus
Jul 12, 2023
I've called and they definitely are detached from everything. Just reading prompts off their computers to "try to help." In all actuality trying to talk to them can actually make you feel worse. Just added frustration trying to find some comfort from a stranger who doesn't really care.

Reactions: Jan1193, ConstantPain, hopeisdead and 2 others
dragontale14

dragontale14

Sufferer
Jul 17, 2023
I've called and they definitely are detached from everything. Just reading prompts off their computers to "try to help." In all actuality trying to talk to them can actually make you feel worse. Just added frustration trying to find some comfort from a stranger who doesn't really care.
Yeah, I suppose that's the most important thing to remember. Nobody acrually cares, even if they claim they do: nobody cares about anybody but themselves.

Reactions: hopeisdead, Weary_Mary64 and Rogue Proxy
Ashe

Ashe

Born to suffer for others
Sep 20, 2023
Never have and never will. I've boiled it down to that no one truly cares if I want to kill myself, people only say shit because they believe that if they feigning interest I'll suddenly not be suicidal anymore, I won't be paranoid anymore, I'll just be magically happy. Everyone has their own motives and only want something in return, I've had people reach out for me to talk to and it's the same fucking shit every god damn time. If the people who are supposed to be important in my life can't show that they truly care then why am I suppose to believe that some random fucking nobody gives a fuck about my well being. I'm just a number and tax money to the government, thats it.

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: Jan1193, ConstantPain, hopeisdead and 5 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Oops wait did I make it sound like that ISN'T what I want? Sorry, it's exactly what I want and needq
I was being sarcastic but It sounds like that's what you want from them? If that's what you want you can use the crisis text line. They'll warn you if they're about to call the cops and it'll only get there if you admit to an immediate plan.

I responded to your chat btw if you do want to talk.

Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I've mentioned then before, but the thrive textline is really cool. They are peer support, meaning you have to have lived in experience to volunteer. They have a strict no police policy, unless you're abusing children or homicidal. I've told them I've wanted to ctb multiple times, and no cops.

Sometimes the advice they give is really generic but idk, they're the only hotline I trust.

• Informative
Reactions: Iamtired, Jan1193, aticeret and 4 others
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Most of these hotlines seem to be stopgaps for crises, intended to buy time and provide support and validation in the hopes that the caller will calm down, gain clarity, and survive until they can open up to people close to them and/or a therapist. Or maybe some just feel better and move on after hanging up, using the line as a vent.

The people those lines don't help are the ones who aren't in emotional crisis, who believe they are of sound mind, and have nearly zero interest in going on living in any meaningful sense, let alone get help. It seems some of the time, though, they can't even manage to help the first group. Yikes.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConstantPain, SpiritualDeath, aticeret and 2 others
dragontale14

dragontale14

Sufferer
Jul 17, 2023
I was being sarcastic but It sounds like that's what you want from them? If that's what you want you can use the crisis text line. They'll warn you if they're about to call the cops and it'll only get there if you admit to an immediate plan.

I responded to your chat btw if you do want to talk.
Omg sorry I was responding sarcastically to your sarcasm I think it got lost in translation lmao

• Yay!
Reactions: Foreverix
darkenmydoorstep

darkenmydoorstep

Not Waving But Browned Off….
Sep 27, 2023
I've had the police called on me for calling the suicide hotline, and I didn't even make a threat. I've been hung up on by 988, I've had the bitch on the other end pretend she couldn't hear me, all of it. I started exclusively calling the Trevor Project because they don't call the cops, but even they have some shitty operators and a time limit.

Ultimately, every hotline is the same: they all try to act like nobody ACTUALLY wants to ctb and everything can just be solved with a 45-minute talk therapy session (except, with someone who isn't actually a trained therapist) and you'll "come to your senses." And, come to think of it, I guess that makes sense. People who actually are set on ctb don't call those hotlines... I guess I'm just an especially pathetic set who has nobody to talk to about ANYTHING except a captive audience. Ugh...

But I mean, even when I've been close and they "stopped" me, it was always by force, not any kind of acrual reassurance. I guess they're trained to not make unkeepable promises (a la, "it'll get better") but, idk... why do these exist exactly?
I only ever called one once and it was a waste of time. Maybe they help someone, hey? I guess they must. Certainly not my bag.

Whenever I am searching for stuff online and those sponsored ads pop up first obscurring the results, it pisses me right off actually. Like being forced to hike unnecessarily down every aisle in the supermarket to get to the loo roll which is the one thing you actually came in for. Like having Big Bird turn up to crash a seance, just fuck off.

• Yay!
Reactions: Jan1193, hopeisdead and dragontale14
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
The people those lines don't help are the ones who aren't in emotional crisis, who believe they are of sound mind, and have nearly zero interest in going on living in any meaningful sense, let alone get help. It seems some of the time, though, they can't even manage to help the first group. Yikes.
Actually I would argue the people who benefit the most from those lines are those who aren't in a serious crisis. Just lonely people who need to be heard. It's anecdotal so I could be wrong, but the people I talked to who had a good experience with 988 were not suicidal. They were self-harming, grieving, or just lonely and sad. And that's fine. There are people who need that support.

I honestly believe the only people who can help the suicidal are either people who have been suicidal, or non-suicidal people who are actually open to listening to dark shit. The latter are rare, but they do exist.

I've kind of eased up on pro-lifers a bit. My therapist told me they just don't know what to do, and honestly I think he's right. I don't think they mean to be malicious. To be suicidal is just completely out of their wheelhouse. They cannot comprehend it, so their response is to just make a suicidal person not be suicidal and stop being 'negative.' I don't think they mean to be insensitive. They're just scared I think. Well intended people who cause more harm than they realize is how I'd describe them.

I wish we could live in a world where people are desensitized to the darkness of the world. There is too much toxic positivity, too much centralized power and trust in authority. Accepting the rationale of suicidal people isn't dangerous and if anything would create a more empathic and honest world. It says a lot about society that 988 is plastered everywhere, and non police calling peer support lines are obscure (I had to do research to find them.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ConstantPain, Skathon, Foreverix and 1 other person
I

ifeelsobad

Experienced
Aug 23, 2022
I've mentioned then before, but the thrive textline is really cool. They are peer support, meaning you have to have lived in experience to volunteer. They have a strict no police policy, unless you're abusing children or homicidal. I've told them I've wanted to ctb multiple times, and no cops.

Sometimes the advice they give is really generic but idk, they're the only hotline I trust.
Does it not work in the USA? It won't let me text that number

Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
Does it not work in the USA? It won't let me text that number
It works in the USA, I'm American. I've used them multiple times. They are 24 hours.

Very strange. Wondering why you're having trouble. Glitch or it's down perhaps?

• Love
Reactions: dragontale14
I

ifeelsobad

Experienced
Aug 23, 2022
It works in the USA, I'm American. I've used them multiple times. They are 24 hours.

Very strange. Wondering why you're having trouble. Glitch or it's down perhaps?
I'd really like to try it

Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I'd really like to try it
Try again and message me if you need any help. They're pretty cool.

They can be a little too positive for my taste but like once they gave me resources to reform the mental health system in my area, they did ask me if I was suicidal and I told them yes, they gave me a generic google doc, wasn't really helpful, but they weren't nearly as authoritarian as most hotlines.

I literally texted once asking for someone to help me put away groceries cuz I felt tired and undeserving of the food, they literally walked me through it and even walked me through making food. Didn't judge me once for needing help with a basic task. Was really cool.

Also if they don't hear from you they ask, and then end the chat if they still don't, but encourage you to text back if needed. They're more attentive than 988 I find. Responses can be slow but they always do respond. It's cuz they're smaller I think. 988 is super backed up. Thanks Logic.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: kitty_kat, ConstantPain, Foreverix and 1 other person
R

RW__Asher23

Global Mod
Dec 11, 2022
Crisis text line will call police or at the very least your local crisis center to send a team out to see you. But if you really want to call them be warned they will only call if you admit you have method right there and ready. But some people do that. Think they want help. Afraid to get it themselves so they do that shit. Just search it on your phone and you will find it easily. 24/7 365 anytime they are there. I would NEVER call myself. But if you think it is worth a shot, why not. Just be careful chat with them see if you like it. It will vary depending on who you get too. I am here sasu because I have in past done that been there and Never again! Had enough of the Psych wards and Therapists and etc etc for me anyway they just made things worse. Forced lock up abuse in the ward beaten up stabbed fight for my meal all on a psych ward. Then they put me into a straight jacket and say I stabbed person with fork. Umm yeah defending myself. So yeah wards are sometimes more dangerous than the streets. ! I really wish you all the best and if can get help and that is what you want wish you success and peace. If not you are at home here with all of us because this is a safe place to say what you want and talk without being locked up, judged, persecuted, or told you need mental health. Anyway Wishing you the best no matter what happens and safe journey. Peace.

• Love
Reactions: Skathon and Cloud Busting
I

ifeelsobad

Experienced
Aug 23, 2022

They can be a little too positive for my taste but like once they gave me resources to reform the mental health system in my area, they did ask me if I was suicidal and I told them yes, they gave me a generic google doc, wasn't really helpful, but they weren't nearly as authoritarian as most hotlines.

I literally texted once asking for someone to help me put away groceries cuz I felt tired and undeserving of the food, they literally walked me through it and even walked me through making food. Didn't judge me once for needing help with a basic task. Was really cool.

Also if they don't hear from you they ask, and then end the chat if they still don't, but encourage you to text back if needed. They're more attentive than 988 I find. Responses can be slow but they always do respond. It's cuz they're smaller I think. 988 is super

Also if they don't hear from you they ask, and then end the chat if they still don't, but encourage you to text back if needed. They're more attentive than 988 I find. Responses can be slow but they always do respond. It's cuz they're smaller I think. 988 is super backed up. Thanks Logic.
I did it.

Reactions: Cloud Busting
haibane

haibane

Reki
Sep 27, 2023
I definitly feel like its only to have a good conscience about the fact that cause of this pro life society we have to suffer to find peace

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I don't really have any interest in anything like that, it's worthless to me, I cannot stand anything pro-life anyway but I do hate it when the idea of suicide hotlines is pushed onto people. Like in my case I could just never want to exist and I see my wish to die as having awareness of how existence is completely undesirable. I just wish we existed in a society where there is acceptance towards the fact that wanting to cease existing is a valid option rather than everything being about prolonging suffering.

• Love
Reactions: ConstantPain
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I did it.
How was your experience?

I don't really have any interest in anything like that, it's worthless to me, I cannot stand anything pro-life anyway but I do hate it when the idea of suicide hotlines is pushed onto people. Like in my case I could just never want to exist and I see my wish to die as having awareness of how existence is completely undesirable. I just wish we existed in a society where there is acceptance towards the fact that wanting to cease existing is a valid option rather than everything being about prolonging suffering.
If suicide prevention was about helping people end their suffering or learn how to cope with or rebel against their suffering instead of be forced to suffer for the happiness of others, would you be more supportive of the concept?

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
If suicide prevention was about helping people end their suffering or learn how to cope with or rebel against their suffering instead of be forced to suffer for the happiness of others, would you be more supportive of the concept?
I just don't believe in suicide prevention in general, like if people want to stay here then that's their decision and if there was some kind of support for people who want that as long as suicide is accepted as a valid option then I'm fine with that, I just cannot stand pro-lifers. But if there was services that helped people ctb peacefully and reliably then that would be so compassionate and ideal, it would prevent so much unnecessary suffering.

Reactions: ThisUnrest
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
I just don't believe in suicide prevention in general, like if people want to stay here then that's their decision and if there was some kind of support for people who want that as long as suicide is accepted as a valid option then I'm fine with that, I just cannot stand pro-lifers. But if there was services that helped people ctb peacefully and reliably then that would be so compassionate and ideal, it would prevent so much unnecessary suffering.
Ultimately I agree.

I know our perspectives are disparate, but to me suicide is a tragedy in that people chose it as an end to their suffering. Like you, I do see a romantic quality in the ability to be relieved from pain at will, but it's sad people die chained in misery rather than freed from it on earth. Feel free to disagree. I wish their were more pragmatic means for tragedy to end, but we live in a rigged world with little care to end the social ills that lead to CBT.

I just wish we lived in a world where suicide prevention focused on actually alleviating pain or helping people cope with adversity. As current suicide prevention focuses on law enforcement and psychiatric holds, I would agree that current efforts are inhumane.

I do believe that suicide is inevitable to some extent, and that humane options ought to exist. I still stand firm in my convictions that people should exhaust all options before CTB, but many people don't understand that suicidal people often have. Pro-lifers think throwing people into a broken system will solve their pain instead of working on better methods to solve the problem. They don't care to dig deeper.

• Aww..
Reactions: Jan1193 and Skathon
J

jeni-chan4

Oct 3, 2023
Yes, I've called several times while drunk and very suicidal and they always end up calling ambulance/police and bring me to the hospital. It is infuriating and not at all helpful. They never actually *do* anything to help you or actually listen or care. No one cares until you're gone.

Reactions: hopeisdead
lack

lack

im sorry for what i said
Sep 14, 2023
absolute useless garbage, a total waste of "resources". the phone is so incredibly impersonal,.. what a stupid idea to begin with. i feel like i understand the idea but its such a stupid weak attempt to "help" people

Reactions: hopeisdead and Skathon
purgedXO

purgedXO

blaire
Sep 27, 2023
I've never called them, but I have had conversations with them on the suicide hotline chats. I had never gotten to the point where I was about to make an attempt, and then decided to talk to them, it was more like I was experiencing a lot of overwhelming thoughts and I was considering it, but I wasn't quite set on my decision. I feel bad for saying it because I don't know what it's like to be on the other side, but I'd hear the same phrases over and over again each time I'd talk to them. "It must be really difficult going through that." "I'm glad you decided to reach out for help." "Have you considered speaking to a professional?" "Have you considered telling your parents how you feel?" Like, none of that really helps. If I had talked to a professional or told my parents at the time, I wouldn't be on the line in the first place. I'd be talking to them, not a stranger. Conversations would just go in circles; it was all just a waste of my time and their time.

To be fair, there's only so much that can be said to someone who's considering take their own life. I can't think of anything that would really actually stop someone from going through with it if they have their mind made up.

I realized after reaching out to them a few times, there isn't really a point in doing it. Maybe it helps some people who don't have anyone to talk to about what they're going through that's causing them to want to ctb, but it's never been much help for me. I do think that it's something that should be available for people, just because it didn't work out for me doesn't mean it doesn't help others. If I wanted help, I wouldn't consider getting help from a hotline again.

• Love
sensenmann

sensenmann

this will be the end of me
Jun 14, 2023
Hate seeing the number being spammed when you mention suicide anywhere, I can't even call the doctor when I'm sick.

Reactions: Cloud Busting, ConstantPain and Skathon
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Completely useless. It does more harm than good. All it is is a way for suicidal people to incrimiate themselves and cause the cops to come. I can't believe that stupid rapper kid made a song about it. So many clueless sheeple idiots got behind that stupid song.