• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Float On Okay

Float On Okay

I won’t be okay.
May 13, 2020
I'm in my head a lot. I have severe social anxiety and I'm learning that my problem with social encounters isn't with the encounter itself but the anticipation for the encounter and the rumination of the encounter afterwards.

If I was to rank these aspects from most painful to least painful:
  1. Anticipation for a social encounter: Extremely painful. Causes symptoms of physical illness. Often leads to avoidance of the encounter altogether. The fear is very much unproportionate to the actual threat of the encounter.
  2. Rumination of the social encounter following the encounter: Frustrating, intrusive, and can appear long after the encounter is over (years, in some instances).
  3. The actual social encounter: Rarely goes terrible. Usually never goes perfect or great but usually better than expected/what I fear most.
I know most people on this site probably don't have SAD but I'm sure many of you are acquainted with intrusive thoughts and rumination. Any tips on how to cope with such thoughts?

Last edited:
Bed

Bed

Global Mod
Aug 24, 2019
Can relate a lot with anticipation usually being the worst part of my perceived fear.

Only advice I can really give is exposure therapy. Putting yourself in similar situations until your body is used to it and you grow the confidence you previously lacked. Also meditation can help in working your way up to exposure therapy.

Float On Okay

Float On Okay

I won’t be okay.
May 13, 2020
Can relate a lot with anticipation usually being the worst part of my perceived fear.

Only advice I can really give is exposure therapy. Putting yourself in similar situations until your body is used to it and you grow the confidence you previously lacked. Also meditation can help in working your way up to exposure therapy.

Thank you for the response. That's certainly the most effective way to combat SAD based on what I've read, if done properly. Without proper guidance, exposure therapy can be more detrimental than beneficial.

I do think beginning a regular meditation routine has many benefits, especially dealing with harmful thoughts. May not be as effective with severe anticipatory anxiety as it is with thought rumination and general mental wellness. I think I should try picking up meditation again.

Reactions: Bed
Seven Threads

Seven Threads

Iterator
Mar 5, 2023
Hey there, Floating On! I gotta say, that sort of anxiety sounds absolutely awful to deal with on a regular basis. If I experienced something like that every time I found myself in a social situation, I'd probably never go outside again! And I can definitely see why you'd want to find some strategies for dealing with it, given that avoiding people all the time...doesn't really work.

I don't have severe social anxiety in general, so my understanding of what you experience is likely severely limited, but I do experience some situational forms of it that may give me a window. In my case, I'm very much a social hermit and tend to avoid people in general, not out of anxiety most of the time, but just because I prefer keeping to myself or the company of those few who really understand me, and also because I generally don't feel I have a lot to offer or want to talk much.

That said, I have experienced some fairly intense anxiety in certain cases, primarily when I've avoided someone or put them off for a long time. Case in point, my mom and my brother, who live together about an hour and a hall's drive away from me. I should see them far, far more often than I do, but I don't. And if I don't see or talk to them in any substantial manner for a long time, the guilt I feel about that tends to make me isolate myself even more. I feel like I can't reach out, visit, or get in contact again without somehow resolving or explaining why I cut myself off in the first place. Perhaps you may have some experience with this. In any case, it makes even so much as answering a text (or, more likely, 'not' answering it until much later when they call repeatedly just to verify I'm alive) a very stressful affair.

I have managed to find a solution, though. It's situational, and it only works some of the time, but maybe it'll be useful to you. I find that the narrative I hold regarding social contact makes a huge difference in how I respond to it emotionally. To make a long story short, I can choose to view it in one of two ways: something I have to do, or something I choose to do. In the case of the former, it could be something like 'I need to see this person because I've been avoiding them for a long time'. Or it could be 'I don't really want to go, but they need me, or it's expected of me.' This narrative treats a social occasion as a 'duty' of some sort, something I don't really want to be doing, but feel forced into. And when it's a duty, that's when it's hard, and when I get anxious.

But if I can create a different narrative, one in which a social encounter is something I want and choose for myself, it's different. Maybe there's a movie I want to see with my family. Maybe I want to bring presents, or cook a new recipe for them I've really been wanting to try. I try to get myself excited, make plans, suggest an outing, anything that makes it seem like I'm doing something I want to, and that I'm invested in. And very often, it works.

I realize that this in and of itself could be considered a form of rumination. Thinking about the encounter beforehand, making plans for it, it's similar in nature. But maybe that's a good thing. If you're going to be thinking about it in advance anyway, perhaps changing the narrative tone in which you think about it from one of dread to one of excitement and anticipation can help. Have you ever tried something similar, and if so, has it worked for you?

Bed

Bed

Global Mod
Aug 24, 2019
Without proper guidance, exposure therapy can be more detrimental than beneficial.
yeah it's quite hard to navigate without having someone be there. Just go as slow as possible while also trying to tolerate the uncomfortableness of anxiety.

I find scoping out places beforehand can be a good way to help me lessen the extent of my anticipatory anxiety. I'm not sure if it's a harmful coping mechanism in the long run though.

May not be as effective with severe anticipatory anxiety as it is with thought rumination and general mental wellness.
It may not be as effective since it's higher on your anxiety hierarchy but it still can help you be aware of your feelings/thoughts and see them as just that - feelings and thoughts. Perhaps making you not as nervous about anticipation and seeing it for what it really is.

I struggle a lot with anxiety and before chronic pain it was my main reason for wanting to die. It took over a lot of my world from a young age and still does so I can empathize.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I can really relate. I feel incredibly anxious when I know I'm going to have to be around people. I've actually worked and lived alone for years- which has only intensified the fear. I recently went for a new job, working with people and got myself into such a state.

I would search YouTube for videos on social anxiety when I was getting myself worked up to at least try and give myself some coping mechanisms to think about. It sounds like maybe you're already doing this though- if you've managed to identify where you are getting the most stressed.

I think this is a good realisation to keep in mind though- and it's the same for me- usualy the fear of whatever it is is actually WAY worse than the actual experience. I'm sure there have been times where you have felt accutely uncomfortable in social situations- but- have you managed to handle it more or less? I guess- just remind yourself of that- that it probably won't be as bad as you think and- even if it is bad- you'll be able to cope.

Also- that most people are so focused on themselves- they probably aren't even noticing you that much. And if they are judgemental- I love this quote from Dr Seuss:

'Be who you are and say how you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.'