• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I had a user not long ago mentioned that they were very interested in infrastructure. If anyone has any questions, or would simply like to discuss this topic, please feel free!

Examples: flood proof parking garages, how street lights are paid for, how emergency vehicles change red lights, possible future of solar and nuclear power, wind turbines and hydroelectric dams, the world's largest water pump, the canal system in America, superfund sites, electrical grid, why there aren't many trains in the US, oil pipe lines, how electrical code has changed (NEC), you name it!

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
ooohhh wow, rip those middle states that don't have any lines going thru it, guess thats one of the many reasons why yall are a car-mainly country
Yes, the less populated parts are quite neglected. Historically, there used to be far more railways. (It's a similar story in Australia.)

Whether public transport was abandoned due to market forces or due to a conspiracy by oil and auto companies is for someone else to decide. Though the earliest stages of a revival are happening through newer private operators like Brightline in FL.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
View attachment 131467

ooohhh wow, rip those middle states that don't have any lines going thru it, guess thats one of the many reasons why yall are a car-mainly country

Amtrak runs a continuous deficit. It doesn't own the rail lines so it has to give priority to freight trains because an oligopoly of train companies own the rails. Unlike France where the government owns the rail lines and gives priority to the passenger trains.
Canals are also a major part of shipping freight in parts of the US.
Ultimately it comes down to population density or really the lack of it.
If you want more details though, these videos below will do a much better job than I can, especially the first one:

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Yes, the less populated parts are quite neglected. Historically, there used to be far more railways. (It's a similar story in Australia.)

Whether public transport was abandoned due to market forces or due to a conspiracy by oil and auto companies is for someone else to decide. Though the earliest stages of a revival are happening through newer private operators like Brightline in FL.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

Thank you for joining the conversation, Pluto. I always appreciate your input and you are very intelligent 🐈

Reactions: Homo erectus
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
Why doesn't the US have a high speed railway system?

Reactions: Homo erectus
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
An interesting insight. I used to be involved with the tramways here, which have operated continuously since the 19th century and represent one of the largest networks in the world.

The huge difference was that as the economics of running tramways became dubious, the government established an authority to oversee them.

The open bias towards automobile infrastructure on the part of the US government by no means rules out high-level corruption. At best, it was an expression of the extreme capitalist culture which made the US government, media and culture subservient to the oligarchs of the day. Something that I think remains an issue with right-wing of media and politics to this day.

A striking contrast with Europe and Asia which did not take the same extreme 'greed is good' position.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
An interesting insight. I used to be involved with the tramways here, which have operated continuously since the 19th century and represent one of the largest networks in the world.

The huge difference was that as the economics of running tramways became dubious, the government established an authority to oversee them.

The open bias towards automobile infrastructure on the part of the US government by no means rules out high-level corruption. At best, it was an expression of the extreme capitalist culture which made the US government, media and culture subservient to the oligarchs of the day. Something that I think remains an issue with right-wing of media and politics to this day.

A striking contrast with Europe and Asia which did not take the same extreme 'greed is good' position.

Why do you think the US is so capitalist and greedy? Why does the US believe that "greed is good"?

Last edited:
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Why do you think the US is so capitalist and greedy? Why does the US believe that "greed is good"?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistory/s/ZuK5pHb9nw
Good nuanced answer
"Blessings of the state upon you… work hard. Increase production. Buy more. Prevent accidents. And -- be happy."

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistory/s/ZuK5pHb9nw
Good nuanced answer

"Blessings of the state upon you… work hard. Increase production. Buy more. Prevent accidents. And -- be happy."

Why can't the US have high speed rail? Is it because it has failing infrastructure? China has high speed rail and it's efficient and effective. Personally, I miss the overnight trains because of the nostalgia and how I would eat my favorite kind of instant ramen (Kang Shi Fu braised beef), but high speed rail is quick and easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: melons0da
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Why can't the US have high speed rail? Is it because it has failing infrastructure? China has high speed rail and it's efficient and effective. Personally, I miss the overnight trains because of the nostalgia and how I would eat my favorite kind of instant ramen (Kang Shi Fu braised beef), but high speed rail is quick and easy.
I guess I'm not understanding your question, are you asking about a national high speed rail or do you mean like the eastern corridor and locally?

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
I guess I'm not understanding your question, are you asking about a national high speed rail or do you mean like the eastern corridor and locally?
National high speed rail

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Most of the rail is owned by freight companies that give priority to their trains and the population centers in the US are clustered mainly on the coasts. The US is a very big, open and in large parts empty country. The cities in Europe for example are ancient so they had to be walkable for the average person who couldn't afford a carriage. The US highway system started under Eisenhower for citizens to quickly evacuate cities during the Cold War and also to allow B-52s to land and cargo planes to deploy tanks. The geography of the US is different.

Also cost. Amtrak is an SOE, if I remember correctly, so its not cost effective here, *per se*

melons0da

melons0da

Mar 1, 2024
thats the good stuff, I've gone on those trains once or twice and it always stuns me how quick and easy the booking/ reservation system is for it

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I think it's a mixture of a half-truth and an exploitation by the billionaire class who own most of the media and set the narrative.

The half-truth: free-market capitalism is a key ingredient in every successful modern society. Be it the EU, Japan, Singapore or even contemporary China, the system works, to a point.

However, the exploitation is in the Republican narrative that all taxation is bad, all government is bad, or that cutting taxes for the rich magically benefits the poor. And if people need further distraction, Republicans will just wheel out the race-baiting, culture wars, conspiracy theories or fixate on fundamentalist Christian agendas like abortion. The old Divide and Rule still works brilliantly to this day, though it also blocks progress for society as a whole.

And yet, all successful societies - again, examples like Norway and Singapore - combine strong governments and elements of free-market capitalism.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
I think it's a mixture of a half-truth and an exploitation by the billionaire class who own most of the media and set the narrative.

The half-truth: free-market capitalism is a key ingredient in every successful modern society. Be it the EU, Japan, Singapore or even contemporary China, the system works, to a point.

However, the exploitation is in the Republican narrative that all taxation is bad, all government is bad, or that cutting taxes for the rich magically benefits the poor. And if people need further distraction, Republicans will just wheel out the race-baiting, culture wars, conspiracy theories or fixate on fundamentalist Christian agendas like abortion. The old Divide and Rule still works brilliantly to this day, though it also blocks progress for society as a whole.

And yet, all successful societies - again, examples like Norway and Singapore - combine strong governments and elements of free-market capitalism.
China calls themselves communist, I don't believe they are. Its not a dictatorship but maybe its trending towards that. But its a one-party state that is very authoritarian and has massive influence in the economy. They have a stock market so I'd say they're not communist. And lots of money to move economy in certain directions like climate and EVs... and yes, they do not like dissent. LOTS written about China and its future.

I think taking elements from both is good. Like universal healthcare, social safety nets, regulations (to a point), ect., is good.

The US doesn't have exactly laissez-faire capitalism, it's honestly almost like crony capitalism or at least trending their.

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
Most of the rail is owned by freight companies that give priority to their trains and the population centers in the US are clustered mainly on the coasts. The US is a very big, open and in large parts empty country. The cities in Europe for example are ancient so they had to be walkable for the average person who couldn't afford a carriage. The US highway system started under Eisenhower for citizens to quickly evacuate cities during the Cold War and also to allow B-52s to land and cargo planes to deploy tanks. The geography of the US is different.

Also cost. Amtrak is an SOE, if I remember correctly, so its not cost effective here, *per se*
What abt locally?

BrainShower

BrainShower

Tiny storm
Nov 7, 2023
Why doesn't the US have a high speed railway system?
Because we won't vote for it.
I voted for a highspeed rail system in my area of the country but we lost. Rich fucks would rather drive their Cadillac than pay for poors like me to have transportation options in this country.
Because we won't vote for it.
I voted for a highspeed rail system in my area of the country but we lost. Rich fucks would rather drive their Cadillac than pay for poors like me to have transportation options in this country.
They would rather have their fancy private doctors than all of us getting healthcare too. The us is truly fucked.