Vault of Memories

Vault of Memories

A temporary being in a temporary world
Mar 24, 2020
I have an idea for a novel that I think could do potentially well. It's based off a screenplay I wrote a while back that caught the attention of a producer, though I refused to sell it because we couldn't see eye to eye artistically.

I want to transfer this story to a novel, though there's going to be very many drastic changes from the screenplay, however struggle to find the ambition to do so. Another problem I face when I have projects like these is that I don't intend to be alive long enough to see them through.

I don't mean to glorify mental health issues, but history has shown that there's a correlation between someone being depressed and someone being artistic. I'm willing to bet that many of you on here do have wild imaginations and could write a decent book, if given the time.

for those of you that do write, how do you find the ambition to do so? I'll have so many ideas in my head, but it's a struggle for some reason just to simply jot them down or type them up. Instead I prefer just laying in bed all day.

I think I want to leave something behind before I go, always thought it'd be something artistic. I believe the thought of my not really having any accomplishments to leave behind that I deem significant, especially when I have several in my head, makes it harder to go...

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, BornofDust, Sensei and 1 other person
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I wrote a story when I was in elementary school on my old PC, something about life at sea and i'm rather embarrassed bringing it up. I have some idea's for writing Fanfiction since I read them all day. I'm not the one who knows about writing Ambition since when it comes to grammar and building a cohesive story I fall flat terribly, I was never good in writing/literature classes in School. But for me I think it's simple inspiration and motivation for writing a story, the raw emotion you feel when you're creating a new world and life on paper. Then you build off of that inspiration and use it to create your story all the way to the end of it, or maybe one story sets the table for a new one based off that same world. Like I said i'm no professional writer so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Fizz

Fizz

Dec 3, 2020
SO many books I have decent chunks of written but nothing to ever tie it all together. A few months ago I tried to put up a website to showcase my work for those who might want to read it after I'm gone, but I struggle with the egotism of doing that just to leave a piece of me behind since it's no longer about me. Moderating it, transferring through domains and such would only bring down more burden than pain. Maybe I'll put them on a USB and people can read if they want.

Vault of Memories

Vault of Memories

A temporary being in a temporary world
Mar 24, 2020
For me, leaving something behind isn't necessarily an ego thing. I think in my head I want to have some sort of justification as to why I was here before I depart. I obviously want it to be a good piece of writing, but am not looking for fame or anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: Iwanttooffmyself
Antigonish

Antigonish

Mage
Sep 19, 2020
I have an idea for a novel that I think could do potentially well. It's based off a screenplay I wrote a while back that caught the attention of a producer, though I refused to sell it because we couldn't see eye to eye artistically.

I want to transfer this story to a novel, though there's going to be very many drastic changes from the screenplay, however struggle to find the ambition to do so. Another problem I face when I have projects like these is that I don't intend to be alive long enough to see them through.

I don't mean to glorify mental health issues, but history has shown that there's a correlation between someone being depressed and someone being artistic. I'm willing to bet that many of you on here do have wild imaginations and could write a decent book, if given the time.

for those of you that do write, how do you find the ambition to do so? I'll have so many ideas in my head, but it's a struggle for some reason just to simply jot them down or type them up. Instead I prefer just laying in bed all day.

I think I want to leave something behind before I go, always thought it'd be something artistic. I believe the thought of my not really having any accomplishments to leave behind that I deem significant, especially when I have several in my head, makes it harder to go...
I just get really drunk and emotional and the stories write themselves. I kinda just a passenger. When I look back and read them months later. I'm impressed and wondering who wrote them. Drunk me, is like drunk rick. Totally different person. Never know what I'm gonna get. But if you want an editor I can help.
I excel at perfecting things that aren't my own.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
When I was in 12th grade I actually participated in National Novel Writing Month. It's a self-imposed challenge where you write 1000 words a day of a novel from November 1st to 30th. (Minimum length for a novel is apparently 30,000 words). I think I did actually do it successfully with over 31,000 words by the end of it but this was without any editing and I barely remember what the story was even about or where to find it.

I don't think I was very good. It's really hard for me to write without anything to rip off of. I know that supposedly nothing is truly original anymore but I feel like I'm especially unoriginal.

Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Such an interesting post!

Do you want to leave a novel behind to achieve immortality through literary creation? Or do you want to write to transmit your ideas to a potential reader, to have a "dialogue" with some future person who might browse your work? To move someone, to inspire them, to touch them, to stir something in them?

I think all writers toy with the question: What will become of my works in 50 years? In 100 years? Will it endure? Will it still speak to people, or will it be long forgotten and obsolete?

I never wrote a line in my life, but there was a time when I was an avid reader. There was a time, before my mind got clouded by brain fog, when I would spend hours and hours bent over the pages of classical works. Such a delight!

What is your play about? Or if you'd rather not say, then what themes and motifs do you develop in it?

PS: I love your avatar. Van Gogh's The Starry Night - and indeed all his works - are immortal.

But each time I see this painting, I can't help but smile a little thinking of Neil Degrasse Tyson who always points out that a close analysis of the crescent Moon and Venus, reveals that the painting captures the early morning hours near the Summer Solstice 1889 — just before sunrise. So the painting should be called, "The Starry Dawn". :-)

There's so much beauty in this world.... Alas... it gets drowned by all the screams of the suffering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random
BornofDust

BornofDust

Student
Dec 11, 2020
For me writing helps me to both express my emotions and to leave a legacy behind. I think that art can speak to others in a way that many other mediums simply can't. Which is why that an artist has to be honest with themselves first before they can be honest about their work. I just published some poetry to this poetry site today expressing my depressing views on Valentine's day. Oh and its not that I could write anything, its that my general scene of insecurity, shame, and apathy is what prevents me nowadays from doing anything close to that.

Also nice to see a fellow screenwriter here! Thought I was a lone wolf lol.

Reactions: Callie Arcale