L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
How come oral antiemetics are being suggested as the only options? Cause there's also a suppository form called promethazine hydrochoride, and prochlorperazine gel is the topical form. Are they more difficult to obtain, more expensive...? Just wondering why no mentions?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Trashcan and Lizzie S.
Dani Paradox

Dani Paradox

Permanently Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Does it matter? Why wouldn't you just get the oral?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
Does it matter? Why wouldn't you just get the oral?
For people who'd prefer not to swallow so many pills for one or who have more adverse side effects. It would be nice to know of other alternatives and apparantly there are. Was just interested to know why there hasn't been any mention.

Z

zadig777

naive fool
Sep 18, 2018
because its no need like Dani already mentioned lol

L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
I just recalled having to take the suppository form after having my wisdom teeth removed back in highschool that I had forgotten about. So they may be easier to obtain for some than the oral versions. At least, I would assume so. I wanted to see if anyone had more knowledge on possible alternatives hence the reasoning behind this post. I disagree about there not being a need since there are users having difficulty with obtaining meto and domperidone.

Reactions: Fcancer, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Deafsn0w
C

Cody111

Student
Nov 16, 2018
Can i expand this... is there any alternatives to dopamine antagonist antiemetics?

Or somthing that will stop you from throwing up after ingesting somthing...
Ive tried motion sickness pills ans dont really do anything.

Reactions: Deafsn0w and Lifeisatrap
C

Cody111

Student
Nov 16, 2018
Bump coz im struggling to find an answer on my own.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
Empty RN

Empty RN

Student
Oct 25, 2018
I'm a nurse and never I've never used the suppository nor the topical form of antiemetics. I assume they are much harder to obtain

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Fcancer, Lifeisatrap and 1 other person
C

Cody111

Student
Nov 16, 2018
I'm a nurse and never I've never used the suppository nor the topical form of antiemetics. I assume they are much harder to obtain
Are you able to tell me why dopamine blocker antiemetics will stop you from throwing up somthing you have injested better than others? And if there is an alternative or a way to decrease the chances of throwing up.

As stated, ive tried motion sickness and antihistamine based antiemetics, these help for their intended purpose. But would not stop me from throwing up something that has been ingested.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Lifeisatrap and Dead Meat
Empty RN

Empty RN

Student
Oct 25, 2018
Are you able to tell me why dopamine blocker antiemetics will stop you from throwing up somthing you have injested better than others? And if there is an alternative or a way to decrease the chances of throwing up.

As stated, ive tried motion sickness and antihistamine based antiemetics, these help for their intended purpose. But would not stop me from throwing up something that has been ingested.
I wish I had the answer you're looking for. I'm not sure exactly of the course of action at which antiemetics work. My method of choice is N, so I'm just going to do staggered doses of odansetron. Antiemetics are not a guarantee that you won't throw up just a source that can be helpful.

C

Cody111

Student
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks for tour response. I have mirtazapine, which falls under the same type of antiemetics as odansetron, though different medication so will produce different results...

Its the guarentee bit that im after but i guess nothing is guarenteed :/

Fcancer

Fcancer

Student
Sep 24, 2018
I wish I had the answer you're looking for. I'm not sure exactly of the course of action at which antiemetics work. My method of choice is N, so I'm just going to do staggered doses of odansetron. Antiemetics are not a guarantee that you won't throw up just a source that can be helpful.
Is ondansetron as strong as meto?? I have a script for 10x8mg wafers somewhere. Am unable to get meto as was stopped at customs zzzzz.

Reactions: GreenLantern, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
C

Cody111

Student
Nov 16, 2018
I can get Metoclopramide but only mixed 5/500mg paracetamol.

Dont know the dose needed or recommended for meto but assuming this path would mean stupidly large amounts of paracetamol.

L

Lifeisatrap

Arcanist
Oct 5, 2018
Thanks so much for the response:) I was curious about alternatives so I looked it up. Appartantly topical versions are used for mostly pregnant women and suppositories for the seriously ill. But I had to use the suppository form after having wisdom teeth removed but that was awhile back so I don't know:/ I also have odansetron, do you think it'll be sufficient enough for sn? Well you've already stated that nothing is guaranteed hehe. Sorry, for taking so long to reply, damn phone is acting up.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Empty RN

Empty RN

Student
Oct 25, 2018
We should all give our chosen antiemetic a try before hand. It can't hurt, most aadverse reactions listed are because they've happened but don't happen frequently that's not soemthing I would worry about.

Suppository is still interesting to me because I've never seen it ordered but perhaps that's just the hospital that I work at it's not a popular method there I'm unsure. Mostly it' administered via IV/ by mouth or via peg tube.

Thanks so much for the response:) I was curious about alternatives so I looked it up. Appartantly topical versions are used for mostly pregnant women and suppositories for the seriously ill. But I had to use the suppository form after having wisdom teeth removed but that was awhile back so I don't know:/ I also have odansetron, do you think it'll be sufficient enough for sn? Well you've already stated that nothing is guaranteed hehe. Sorry, for taking so long to reply, damn phone is acting up.
I do think odansatron will be fine. I'd test it and drink a very strong, bitter black coffee because for me that usually makes me throw up.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, rabid_squirrel and Lifeisatrap
Bilbobaggins

Bilbobaggins

In a hole
Aug 30, 2018
I can get Metoclopramide but only mixed 5/500mg paracetamol.

Dont know the dose needed or recommended for meto but assuming this path would mean stupidly large amounts of paracetamol.
Yeah that sounds like a no-goer to me.

Is ondansetron as strong as meto?? I have a script for 10x8mg wafers somewhere. Am unable to get meto as was stopped at customs zzzzz.
Different types of drug but yes ondansetron is at least as strong as metoclopramide.

Fcancer

Fcancer

Student
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah that sounds like a no-goer to me.

Different types of drug but yes ondansetron is at least as strong as metoclopramide.
Hmmm guess that would mean taking like 5x wafers as a stat dose 30-60mins before ingestion.

Does it work on a different receptor to meto?? I know when I was having chemo, I would take this and another tablet together as they both worked on different receptors.

*I just found the other one, it is called Stemetil??

Last edited: