• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I read an article earlier today which reported that SSRIs lower one's cognitive functioning in just a matter of weeks...

SSRIs can impair memory. Also, depression correlates with negative affective bias, which might enhance critical thinking. Perhaps treating OCD too reduces test scores.

I've been on Effexor now for 3 weeks, feel calmer, but I'm having trouble getting into any writing projects, even small ones.

Reactions: Final Escape, marcusuk63, Random and 2 others
locusdelicti

locusdelicti

Jan 6, 2019
Was on Effexor for years. I'll preface what I'll say by stating I'm in no way trying to discredit that it may work well for many people. It may be a godsend for you. All I can do is relate what it did for me.

Effects of being on it:
  1. Apathy and inability to feel...well, anything, good or bad. People commented once I was off it I seemed more "there" and "present." Apparently, it's a noticeable difference.
  2. A marked effect on the "crispness" of my thinking. It's not that it makes you dumber. It's an inability to follow through on critical thinking. Your brain just sort of gives up on trying to solve a problem if the solution isn't readily apparent to you.

I'm not sure if your prescribing doctor discussed what will happen should you ever decide to get OFF Effexor - mine certainly didn't. I quit it in February of 2018. It was far and away the hardest thing I've ever done, and I've come off serious Schedule 1 drugs in my past.

Withdrawal Effects:
  1. Insomnia/Hallucinations
  2. Brain "zaps" - difficult to describe to someone unfamiliar with the experience. You feel and see electronic impulses in your brain. It's pretty unpleasant and distracting.
  3. Uncontrollable emotional outpouring as your brain rewires itself, in essence, reprogramming itself to deal with emotions. Remember, the drug suppresses the ability to process emotions, so once you're acclimated to the drug, learning to process stimuli again is quite jarring. I was basically a shut-in for a little over a week, sobbing and trying to explain I had no idea why I was crying.
  4. Nausea and "stomach flutters" - again, difficult to explain, but my stomach felt like it was vibrating. Not only does this dissuade you from eating, but it's very distracting, and it certainly doesn't help with the insomnia.

Think very hard about whether going down the anti-depressant road is right for you. In my opinion, I was wrongly prescribed this stuff, as I had just been in a motorcycle wreck and I had to relearn how to walk. Naturally, I was situationally depressed, but I was not a depressed person who would need to be on this stuff for the rest of my life. Check out YouTube accounts of people getting off Effexor. It's no joke. The good news is the brain is very resilient. Your cognitive ability comes back, and once you make it out of the hell hole of withdrawal, you'll be back to normal. For me it took between 4-6 weeks for all the side effects to go away.

Good luck, and do your research on this stuff to make an informed choice. The doctor has the pad, but it's YOUR brain getting messed with.

Reactions: Your Own Ghost and Final Escape
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Brain "zaps" - difficult to describe to someone unfamiliar with the experience. You feel and see electronic impulses in your brain. It's pretty unpleasant and distracting.
OMG I hated those. So irritating and lasted for months it seemed.

Reactions: Final Escape
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
i have been on anti depressants for year and years as they effect my memory i cant remember how long ! i used to have a great memory but on my meds i cant remember anything and even have to feel if the kettle is warm to know if i had a coffee recently . i have to write everything down or i forget and i only ever know what day it is when its Thursday because of people putting their bins out , it is just a shame they only make you forget mundane every day things instead of all the shit you have gone and going through

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I read an article earlier today which reported that SSRIs lower one's cognitive functioning in just a matter of weeks...

SSRIs can impair memory. Also, depression correlates with negative affective bias, which might enhance critical thinking. Perhaps treating OCD too reduces test scores.

I've been on Effexor now for 3 weeks, feel calmer, but I'm having trouble getting into any writing projects, even small ones.
Yet another reason u should avoid those brain destroying ssri's lol! Adderall stole my life u guys :'( the worst part was I didn't even recognize how severely I was effected. I figured it was only part of my issues not the biggest issue lol! I wonder how different my life might be now had the psych not decided I needed clean meth to solve my problems lol! Jeez! Lets help u out and add bigger problems to your existing ones. What a joke.

Last edited:
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
An issue for me is that I'm looking for pain relief and am hoping that Effexor will help, vs having to increase my opioids. The latter can cause memory issues & sedation. This weekend I'm moving to 75mg of Effexor. I'll give it a couple weeks, but will stop if it doesn't help. This is something of a last resort for me.

locusdelicti

locusdelicti

Jan 6, 2019
An issue for me is that I'm looking for pain relief and am hoping that Effexor will help, vs having to increase my opioids. The latter can cause memory issues & sedation. This weekend I'm moving to 75mg of Effexor. I'll give it a couple weeks, but will stop if it doesn't help. This is something of a last resort for me.

I wish you luck, @Kyrok. All I'll say is be aggressive with your questions to your doctors. It's your health. Question what your doctor knows about what the drugs will do for you/to you. Ask about whether this is a long-term solution or a short-term "fix." Ask if the pills will address your concerns about the kind of pain you're experiencing - get hard facts. Ask what data supports your doctor's decision. I'm not anti-doctors or anti-medicine. This isn't a broken bone, though. This is going to affect how your brain processes stimuli and how you interact with others around you.