• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Meretlein

Meretlein

Feb 15, 2019
I was browsing r/OCD and come upon this guide. I will link the original reddit thread at the bottom. I have OCD and a lot of this post resonated with me.

So I've had OCD since I was 12 years old (triggered by some trauma I have moved past), I was diagnosed at 17. If you are struggling with this disorder right now and your life is suffering for it, I can tell you I've been there and I want to share the things I've learned.

Every Obsession Has An End

So in chronological order I have had: religious-OCD (afraid of demonic possession), harm-OCD (afraid I secretly wanted to kill people), existential-OCD (afraid I was constantly in a dream/lucid dreaming), POCD (absolutely terrible and my longest obsession), morality-OCD (afraid I didn't have free will/ the philosophical concept of free will), obsession about having OCD (that one was a kick in the head lol), and hyperawareness-OCD (afraid I would never be able to stop focusing on thoughts about clocks/time/passage of time). EVERY ONE OF THESE OBSESSIONS HAS PASSED.

And its almost crazy to me now that I almost did something irreversible (you know what I mean) to end some of them . I was desperate and I just wanted them to stop. They are all so small and irreverent now its baffling to me I ever listened to them. There is always an end.

People Without OCD Won't Understand

My mother thought I was lying my whole childhood and forced me to take birth-control pills because it was "just my hormones" and I needed to "stop being selfish". Most people think its a qUiRkY XD thing where I like to order/color-code things or they tell me I'm just over-reacting at to "get over it". My fiancé had no idea what OCD was until he saw me go through my latest obsession. It scared the absolute living daylights out of him how quickly and severely it affected me, how much I changed. He decided to tell some people at his work how much we struggling during that time and they reacted with the whole "omg quirky" thing. It made him realize how much people really have no fucking idea and how much of a struggle it is for people with OCD and their supporters. I love him with all my heart.

OCD is A Child Not A Monster

I know many people describe OCD as something monstrous, but that's actually giving it wayyy too much power
, it's actually more childlike. If a child is throwing a tantrum, begging you for attention, if you stop the child's behavior by giving the child the attention they want it only encourages them to do it again because they know they can push you around. That's OCD in a nutshell, a scared little child telling you about scary things they are afraid of and demanding you check the closet a million times. This child (like any in a tantrum) needs your attention to get what it wants. Ignoring this child's tantum and living your life as if you can't hear it's crying tells the child acting up that it's getting nowhere. Eventually the child will stop.

There Is NO Such Thing As Reassurance

I've wasted months of my life (maybe years at this point) worrying about my fears and trying to convince myself they are untrue. The thing is that even if I found "proof" my fear wasn't real, I then needed more "proof" to prove that first "proof" was true. If you engage with the thoughts you make them stronger. Don't do it. You'll live longer (in my case literally).

It's A Cycle

Everything about this disorder is cyclic, from the thoughts in the obsessions themselves to the fact that once you get rid of one obsession another takes its place. To realize the cycles, the patterns, and actively work to break them is the only way to get out.

Professional Therapy Is Supposed To Teach You The Tools You Need To Fight On Your Own

Therapy is the best treatment for OCD, PERIOD. Talk therapies (such as CBT) are the gold standard in treating this disorder. Talk therapies are short-term programs (usually about 12-weeks long) that give you professional support and tools to combat the disorder. LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR THERAPIST SAYS, because they can help you identify irrational thoughts and teach you the tools to deal with them on your own so you can continue on with LIFE.

There were definitely times I've needed to go back to the therapist to get a "refresher". Therapy for OCD is not long-term, so use that time you have to equip yourself. Most of the progress I made was outside the therapist's office with the tools they helped me develop.

If you don't have access to a therapist, please look up worksheets/resources/books about talk based therapies online and work through them: CBT, meta-cognitive behavioral therapy (my personal fav :) ), exposure-therapy, mindfulness and others. Different therapies will resonate with different people (I hate meditating, it never worked for me but it works for a lot of people) so please talk to a professional about your treatment options and don't be afraid to try different ones.

Medicine Helps But Is Not A Cure

Medicine for anxiety/depression tends to regulate extremes in brain chemicals (make the highs lower and the lows higher). That's it, doesn't do anything more than that. Medicine is a tool to allow you to better use techniques that you learned in therapy to regulate your emotions, not take them away entirely.

Cognitive tools to manage anxiety/depression need you to activate the thinking part of your brain, but if your brain is hocked up on fight-or-flight chemical, its makes reasoning like that more difficult to do (not impossible of course, just harder). Medicine is supposed to regulate these fight-or-flight reactions so its easier for you to access the thinking part of your brain, calm yourself and think logically.

(I know this tends to be a more sensitive/controversial topic especially in mental health spaces. Some people will need meds for the rest of their lives, others won't (like me), others will flat out not want to take them. There is no shame in needing meds, there is no shame in using them to get to a better place then decide to fly solo, there is no shame in wanting to recover without the use of meds and you should never be pressured by anyone to take them. If you are deciding to manage OCD without meds PLEASE exercise regularly and make sure your body gets enough sleep and nutrients. Exercise is a "natural antidepressant". The fight-or-flight response is a biological signal to your brain to do something physical, run or fight! Doing something physical (like work out or go for a walk) is therefore a great way to deal with this reaction in a safe/healthy way of course.)

Bottom Line

Everyone will have a different experience of this disorder, different therapies/meds will help, but the bottom line ...

OCD never wins, it will never win. There is an end. Stay strong and trust in your experience even if the others around you are too ignorant to understand.

Joey

Joey

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2020
I've had existential ocd before due to the fear of time passing and feeling like there's never enough time (there isn't) because I'm going to die in the end. Now I've learnt to take deep breaths and take things one day at a time. It helps me. And you're right, mine did have an end!

bluedream

bluedream

Sep 15, 2019
I think OCD starts out like a child demanding attention, but if consistently given assurance and attention, it becomes a monster. My parents constantly reassure and preform my brothers OCD rituals for him, and they make me do it too. (his ocd has gotten so bad hes afraid to do the cleaning rituals himself) i try to tell them that reassuring him and cleaning him every few minutes makes it worse, but they wont listen. When i told them i keep my OCD in check by preventing myself from seeking reassurance, they say "oh, well thats because you don't have real OCD like your brother"

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
My ocd is not that bad, just that I buy the same thing in pairs. Like if I buy 1 chandelier I will buy the same one and keep it stored, the same goes from little things as pens for example.

WadeingThru

WadeingThru

Experienced
Feb 25, 2022
My ocd is not that bad, just that I buy the same thing in pairs. Like if I buy 1 chandelier I will buy the same one and keep it stored, the same goes from little things as pens for example.
It's comforting to have a spare, just in case you need it. I buy high end sunglasses 2 or 3 at a time. Same with cloths 2 of everything.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
It's comforting to have a spare, just in case you need it. I buy high end sunglasses 2 or 3 at a time. Same with cloths 2 of everything.
So it's good to know I'm not the only one, I spend lots of unecessAry money though. One day I'll have my flat full of boxes. So far is just under the bed lol.

Midgardsorm

Midgardsorm

Paragon
Apr 28, 2020
ERP therapy is most commonly used in this regard. But adding some things I experienced.

Simply not paying attention to the "Child", that is, not performing the compulsions, can have the opposite effect. This is called Flooding, when you stop performing all of your compulsions at once.
In many cases, the person cannot resist such anxiety that it is provoked and the rituals return ..but as you ignored them before it is very likely that they will have new cycles. New compulsions happen.

To avoid this, the ERP model is very careful and it is important that the professional knows how to start lightly with the patient. But more important than the professional, the people around them, those who live with the person who suffers from OCD.

Few understand the force that compulsive thoughts exert on someone. Some, in my experience, categorize them as "stupid things". Sometimes it is important that not only those who suffer from OCD talk to the therapist, but those who live with the person daily as well.

dreambound

dreambound

Student
Dec 14, 2021
Thankyou for posting this thread, there have been some insightful comments on the subject amongst the ss archives, & i'm sure it doesn't help the OCD sufferer that the world is becoming a more fearful place....

Silent_cries

Silent_cries

I wish I could delete my trauma...
Aug 10, 2021
Are there types of ocd that are no t normally mentioned online or in textbooks? I think I have ocd based on other people well being. When I see people in mental outch it causes me intr usive thoughts and nervous witch then causes a lot of obsessions and compulsions. I have to do ritual to make sure certain people I wo rry about do n ot get more un well or treat ed no good etc. All of this resonates exactly with what I have read about ocd, yet I can n ot find this theme/form in particular mentioned anywhere online.

I am n ot asking for a prof diagnosis as ik you are n ot qualified, I would just like your thought on this honestly.