Mx_Pathetic

Mx_Pathetic

Delete
May 8, 2023
Love planning a party with family & friends and feeling alone. Suicidal thoughts start running in and horrible thoughts of being alone and thinking everyone would be better without. You'd think 10 years of constant therapy and mindfulness groups, etc I'd be better dealing with my mental illnesses but no. If anything they're worse and I feel worse because now I just mask it when needed.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sannti, ever so lonely, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
That's relatable. Matter of fact, I remember throwing a birthday party in middle school. An hour into the start of the party, nobody even showed up. I fucking cried on my stairs waiting for someone to knock on the door. Then an hour later one friend came, then a few more arrived too, and more came the second day.. but ever since that year it kinda just went downhill when it came to celebrating birthdays. Now I'm 21 and the last few years I've just not celebrated it and spent it alone or with family. But these days I'd rather be alone. I don't even tell anyone it's my birthday. Last birthday was basically alone.. my brothers came over to my parents house (where I currently live) uninvited, but I didn't hangout with them because during my birthday last year they just laughed at me for stupid reasons. Despite them all being there, I never felt more lonely. The same thing happens every time we go out to a restaurant to eat. Just a competition for who can bully me the most.

It's funny how you can be in a room FULL of people, yet still feel more alone then you do when you're by yourself.

Anyways, next birthday this winter I'm planning on making it a tradition to do do solo travel. I'm thinking of Costa Rica or something like that. I feel much more at peace just spending time by myself and I've learned to be incredibly selective with who I allocate my time to. Maybe I'm too quick to cut people out but I'd rather be alone / have a small circle of friends than be surrounded by people who suck the life out of me. Pause. No homo.

That's just my story though man, there's lot's of others like you too. I think therapy may be good for some, but if you've been going for 10 years and it hasn't gotten better I'm not sure if it's really helping in your case. There's been studies. And if you constantly put yourself in an environment that reaffirms your belief in your identity as someone who's suicidal, then your thoughts and actions will naturally lead you to match that identity. Same way people in "addiction support groups" maintain their identity as an addict by staying in those groups and surrounding themselves with other addicts. Additionally, 1/5 US soldiers got addicted to heroin in Vietnam.. yet when they where removed from the environment of Vietnam, their addiction struggled to stick around. Only those in the support groups who had their identity as an addict sustained, also happened to sustain their addiction to heroin. I know this is not the exact same for your case, but there are a few parallels and it may be possible to learn some lessons from the studies. It's hard to give you advice because I really don't know your whole situation. I don't know if you feel lonely because these people treat you bad, or if the thoughts just creep into your mind by themselves. But just know it's 100% natural to not feel happy on your birthday or on a holiday. And society creating that expectation of a perfect day just sets us up for failure. But anyways I hope there's at least something you can take away from this message. Or if you want, feel free to message me I'll be here for you.

Much love.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Mx_Pathetic and acerace
iloverilakkuma

iloverilakkuma

bear
Jul 5, 2023
I find social gatherings such as parties make me feel the loneliest. I find myself overthinking every single thing about the way I'm acting or look and compare it to those around me. I start to wonder if any of them are also needing to pretend to enjoy themselves.

Reactions: Mx_Pathetic
Mx_Pathetic

Mx_Pathetic

Delete
May 8, 2023
That's relatable. Matter of fact, I remember throwing a birthday party in middle school. An hour into the start of the party, nobody even showed up. I fucking cried on my stairs waiting for someone to knock on the door. Then an hour later one friend came, then a few more arrived too, and more came the second day.. but ever since that year it kinda just went downhill when it came to celebrating birthdays. Now I'm 21 and the last few years I've just not celebrated it and spent it alone or with family. But these days I'd rather be alone. I don't even tell anyone it's my birthday. Last birthday was basically alone.. my brothers came over to my parents house (where I currently live) uninvited, but I didn't hangout with them because during my birthday last year they just laughed at me for stupid reasons. Despite them all being there, I never felt more lonely. The same thing happens every time we go out to a restaurant to eat. Just a competition for who can bully me the most.

It's funny how you can be in a room FULL of people, yet still feel more alone then you do when you're by yourself.

Anyways, next birthday this winter I'm planning on making it a tradition to do do solo travel. I'm thinking of Costa Rica or something like that. I feel much more at peace just spending time by myself and I've learned to be incredibly selective with who I allocate my time to. Maybe I'm too quick to cut people out but I'd rather be alone / have a small circle of friends than be surrounded by people who suck the life out of me. Pause. No homo.

That's just my story though man, there's lot's of others like you too. I think therapy may be good for some, but if you've been going for 10 years and it hasn't gotten better I'm not sure if it's really helping in your case. There's been studies. And if you constantly put yourself in an environment that reaffirms your belief in your identity as someone who's suicidal, then your thoughts and actions will naturally lead you to match that identity. Same way people in "addiction support groups" maintain their identity as an addict by staying in those groups and surrounding themselves with other addicts. Additionally, 1/5 US soldiers got addicted to heroin in Vietnam.. yet when they where removed from the environment of Vietnam, their addiction struggled to stick around. Only those in the support groups who had their identity as an addict sustained, also happened to sustain their addiction to heroin. I know this is not the exact same for your case, but there are a few parallels and it may be possible to learn some lessons from the studies. It's hard to give you advice because I really don't know your whole situation. I don't know if you feel lonely because these people treat you bad, or if the thoughts just creep into your mind by themselves. But just know it's 100% natural to not feel happy on your birthday or on a holiday. And society creating that expectation of a perfect day just sets us up for failure. But anyways I hope there's at least something you can take away from this message. Or if you want, feel free to message me I'll be here for you.

Much love.
Thanks. Yeah i used to hate my birthday. I still do but that's cause it's a constant reminder that I have survived another awful year and have to redo it all over again. I have different groups. My mum and cousin, my best friends from birth and highschool friends. They have all got to know each other from other parties, but everytime the lot of us hang out I always feel so left out and alone. They all talk and laugh together while I'm just...there. I mean I was that anxious from my thoughts that's I started dissociating and didn't even realise that they all took a picture together without. Apperently they tried to tell me to join in the picture but I have no memory of this since I was dissociating. I just don't know. It's hard, just in general-
I find social gatherings such as parties make me feel the loneliest. I find myself overthinking every single thing about the way I'm acting or look and compare it to those around me. I start to wonder if any of them are also needing to pretend to enjoy themselves.
Literally. When my friends from different groups talk to each other I start thinking that they would rather me not there and wouldn't care if I disappeared. I mean I left for awhile during the party and the only one who actually asked where I was, was my mother. My best friend did ask if I was alright but it's hard to tell them what's wrong when I'm not even completely sure myself. So I just say my thoughts are off at the moment, which I swear always happens when Im out with a bunch of people...It just sucks, like alot alot.

• Hugs
Reactions: iloverilakkuma