Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Anyone else?

I drink two bottles of wine a day on average, sometimes more, sometimes less.

My drinking career began in earnest about 5 years ago, and it's now reached apex levels and I can't stop, nor do I want to.

I think I started drinking to dull the anxiety and pain of being so fucking lonely and feeling like a misfit all the time, for all of my horrible life.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, Hennessy, Deafsn0w and 19 others
Pulpit2018

Pulpit2018

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
I would quickly run out of money.:haha:

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, gingerplum and 5 others
Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
I used to hit the booze in the past, maybe a bottle of jack Daniel's or vodka or whatever else I could get.
Seem to have lost my taste for booze, and crippling two day hangovers are a good deterrent.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, wxtyubidi7y and 9 others
Ntothed

Ntothed

Jan 1, 2019
I drink to mask the physical pain I have

Reactions: AtomicNewt, Deafsn0w, KitKat and 8 others
15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Once I went about a week or two starting every day with alcohol to numb myself and get through it. Only reason why I haven't done recently is the money tbh

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, Redt2go and 8 others
ReadyasEver

ReadyasEver

Elementalist
Dec 6, 2018
I'm like johnny, as I've gotten older, I've turned into a tea toddler.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, therhydler and 5 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
Anyone else?

My drinking career began in earnest about 5 years ago, and it's now reached apex levels and I can't stop, nor do I want to.

I think I started drinking to dull the anxiety and pain of being so fucking lonely and feeling like a misfit all the time, for all of my horrible life.

I'm angry at everyone who has ever made you feel like you are a misfit. I can only imagine they have because you are far beyond the average intelligence, beautiful, funny, sensitive and they have been jealous and ignorant, clumsy, thick and spiteful.

Alcohol dulls the pain and fills the void. And when you have a horrible dull achy pain deep inside you, you have to numb it with something or you'd never cope at all. Whether we can find you something else, what do you reckon?

❤️

Reactions: Hennessy, Deafsn0w, KitKat and 12 others
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
Yes, I'm an ex alcoholic and even have the shitty Jack Daniels tattoo to prove it.

I started in my twenties. I was feeling chronic emptiness and grew to love the feel of my cares melting away each time I cracked open a six pack. It only stopped once I had a complete mental breakdown out of the blue one day. I was admitted to psych, put on meds, and I've been on them ever since. The only reason I don't drink anymore is because I know the meds don't play nice with booze and I'm deathly afraid of having another mental breakdown. So at this point I'm choosing not to rock the boat.

Reactions: Hennessy, Jodes, Deafsn0w and 16 others
Hopeless_soul

Hopeless_soul

Soon
Jan 3, 2019
I used to drink wine and beer. Sometimes I'd drink whiskey as well. Months ago I went through an awful period and would drink as much wine as I could, then fall asleep for three hours, then drink again... Like that for a week. I was really desperate. I was hoping that I magically died out of drinking wine. Lol. Last weekend I drank one glass, but I didn't enjoy it, so I stopped and got back to tea. (Typing this made me want a glass :D)

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, gingerplum and 4 others
E

EmoIsNotAPhase

Jan 12, 2019
Bad nights I drink a bottle of vodka by myself can't remember the last night I was sober I'd rather stay home and drink then go out and hang with friends

Reactions: AtomicNewt, Deafsn0w, KitKat and 8 others
killing me softly

killing me softly

don't wake me, i plan on sleeping in
Dec 28, 2018
i imagine there's a large percentage of us here, especially those with mental health issues, me included. but like JTF and readyasever i find i drink less and less these days. i was a daily drunk, a few times a week binge drinker, and now i only give in to the urge once ever 2-3 weeks.

someone else posted in another thread about how it's a stimulant first and then a depressant - it seems like i've gotten to the point where i skip right over to the depressant side, and it just has become so tiresome.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, wxtyubidi7y and 8 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Bad nights I drink a bottle of vodka by myself can't remember the last night I was sober I'd rather stay home and drink then go out and hang with friends

Not to scare you but this is a very very bad sign—drinking alone and isolating. If you have any hope for your life left please stop this.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, therhydler and 4 others
ReadyasEver

ReadyasEver

Elementalist
Dec 6, 2018
I read once that people with depression and anxiety disorders tend to go the stimulant route, nicotine and caffeine a little more than alcohol. Of course, every Joe Blow now does a " study " so who knows.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, Kdawg2018 and 4 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
I read once that people with depression and anxiety disorders tend to go the stimulant route, nicotine and caffeine a little more than alcohol. Of course, every Joe Blow now does a " study " so who knows.

Serious Caffeine - tick :-(

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, Kdawg2018 and 3 others
Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

Mrs.O'Leary'sCow

SanitizingDeodorantCakes
Aug 20, 2018
Alcohol is such a big problem here that they introduced a minimum price.

"The alcohol problem in Scotland is so significant that ground breaking measures are required"
https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

Very interesting. I had no idea. I have a lot of Scottish and Irish blood, both grandfathers were alcoholics, and yet have no predilection for excess consumption. Guess I lucked out.

In my locale the State controls alcohol sales and imposes huge markups on prices to discourage consumption and fund education. I suppose it works, as alcohol-related social problems are much lower than those in surrounding States, though it irritates the shit out of responsible social drinkers to pay $20USD or more for a six-pack of decent beer that tastes better than the cheap pisswater produced by the corporate brewers.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, gingerplum and 4 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
1/20 deaths worldwide is due to alcohol. WHO statistic.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, Norest4thewicked and 4 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
1/20 deaths worldwide is due to alcohol. WHO statistic.

Wow. That's quite a startling statistic, it's obviously a much bigger cause of death than I had envisioned. Am quite stunned

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, Kdawg2018 and 6 others
A

Armadillo

Experienced
Oct 24, 2018
Might sound strange but I enjoyed drinking more when I was feeling better than I do now.
It was more a "don't tell me how I have to have fun, I know what's best for me", a line of thought that I used to justify all my substance (ab)use to others, than really being a smart choiche.

Never been an alcoholic (I don't get the shakes if I don't drink) but sure as hell I drink heavily sometimes... like downing 0.7 liters of Vodka in a evening/night (by myself ofcourse lol).

Lately the hungovers are pretty bad tho, I still enjoy a couple beers but I usually regret getting really hammered so I don't do it as often.
Same for many other substances, the cons outweight the pros unfortunately.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, KitKat, Kdawg2018 and 4 others
L

lukaszz12

Nov 4, 2018
Drinking 1$ wine as I read this. Cheers

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, mattwitt and 9 others
ReadyasEver

ReadyasEver

Elementalist
Dec 6, 2018
I find it ironic that we cope and mental health professionals prescribe compounds that ultimately will damage or kill us in order to rectify the inclination of killing ourselves.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, Mrs.O'Leary'sCow and 1 other person
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Glasgow once had the dubious honour of being the heart attack, cancer, stroke and murder capital of Europe. All of which was no doubt fuelled by alcohol consumption.
It's typical to portray the Scots as a nation of drunks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-scotland-is-a-nation-of-drunks-9313434.html

I've got Scottish roots and Lithuanian Jewish ones. Lithuanians have the highest rate of suicide in all of Europe.

Drinking amongst women has skyrocketed across the globe; I predict it will get worse until it gets better.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, mattwitt and 3 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Glasgow once had the dubious honour of being the heart attack, cancer, stroke and murder capital of Europe. All of which was no doubt fuelled by alcohol consumption.
It's typical to portray the Scots as a nation of drunks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d-scotland-is-a-nation-of-drunks-9313434.html

Isn't it odd that we have a "war on drugs" yet alcohol isn't part of that equation? I believe any drug can be used responsibly—it isn't the substance per se that's addictive but rather the reasons for the pain that led to the addiction that fuel the addiction.

I always thought I was "fine" because I never shot up heroin. And look at me now.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, wxtyubidi7y, Kdawg2018 and 7 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
I've got Scottish roots and Lithuanian Jewish ones. Lithuanians have the highest rate of suicide in all of Europe.

Drinking amongst women has skyrocketed across the globe; I predict it will get worse until it gets better.

I agree and I wonder what is the reason. Is it the expectations of modern life thrust upon us; especially for those people who have had unimaginably grim beginnings that have taken the toll?

Obviously I am not a man, so men feel free to speak up. But as a 43 yr old female I felt expected to be: a dutiful, caring daughter, do well in high school, get a degree, a good job, marry well, raise a family, keep a sparkling home, return to work, climb a career ladder and maintain an active role in my local community until death.

Unfortunately I've been a total failure :-)

Anyone else?!

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, Hopeless_soul and 5 others
E

EmoIsNotAPhase

Jan 12, 2019
Not to scare you but this is a very very bad sign—drinking alone and isolating. If you have any hope for your life left please stop this.
Honestly already told I need aa to go to rehab and get into detox thing is i don't want to remember I want to be numb also I shake and feel like shit if I dint drink I don't care of I end up drinking myself to death

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018 and gingerplum
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
I agree and I wonder what is the reason. Is it the expectations of modern life thrust upon us; especially for those people who have had unimaginably grim beginnings that have taken the toll?

Obviously I am not a man, so men feel free to speak up. But as a 43 yr old female I felt expected to be: a dutiful, caring daughter, do well in high school, get a degree, a good job, marry well, raise a family, keep a sparkling home, return to work, climb a career ladder and maintain an active role in my local community until death.

Unfortunately I've been a total failure :-)

Anyone else?!

Completely relate to this 1000x over. And we are supposed to be a size 0 and look good while doing all of the above. I once got rejected online dating because I didn't have a graduate degree (only a bachelors) and didn't speak a second language. This is common, at least where I live in Boston.

When I dated I dated everyone-brown, white, a PhD from MIT, a fishmonger, a carpenter, and a doctor. Always wanted a connection but never found it except with my ex who remains a dear friend.

Hugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, gingerplum and 3 others
E

EmoIsNotAPhase

Jan 12, 2019
Anyone else?

Honestly I also turned to vodka to fill the loneliness of not having anyone to really talk to I have never once felt like I belonged anywhere in this world not my family not my friends not at school work it's all
I wanted

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Kdawg2018, gingerplum and 6 others