lovedread

lovedread

Dear God, make me a bird…so I can fly far far away
Jan 2, 2020
my therapist wants to share my safety plan with my mom but im not comfortable. (She makes m feel like shit/belittles me for being suicidal, doesn't really care much) I dont want another issue in my life and i feel like my mom being involved would just complicate things. she doesn't like suicidal people and has not been supportive in the past. I am a legal adult so i should be able to just say no, right?

im scared that my therapist will threaten to hospitalize me if i say no. She gave me the option having it shared with anyone, but the problem is I have only distant friends and acquaintances at most. No one close enough to actually know much about me.

I guess i could tell one of those distant friends but it seems really humiliating…especially given that the last friend i was open and honest w about my SI ended up eventually saying theyd hope i would do it. (There's more context but meh..). Seems like id be burdening the distant friend to check in on me more frequently or just be unnecessarily worried. It also seems weird and uncasual. Like ive never heard someone casually mentioning someone doing that? Yk

these are problems i partially or wholly even created but i still need help navigating :S

what would u do? I dont want to seem difficult. I also understand that bc im suicidal af as therapist she does need to protect herself in case i end up going. So no one is like "why didnt u do more" bullshit.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Arthuroff, LoiteringClouds, etherealspring and 4 others
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Your therapist cannot make you share your safety plan with your mother if you are uncomfortable with it. That would be against patient privacy, especially since you're an adult. I'm unsure of your jurisdiction, but threatening to hospitalize you over not sharing your safety plan seems extreme. I wouldn't share your safety plan with a distant friend. It's more for someone who is close to you & would help in a crisis. If you don't have a support network where you feel comfortable sharing the safety plan, her goal should be to help you work on your support network, not bully you into sharing it. I personally have only shared my safety plan with a friend who lives three hours away, and my therapist accepted that as an answer because my family aren't safe people to share it with. A therapist who is doing their job correctly shouldn't try to push you into a situation that may be detrimental. If she continues to try to get you to share it with your mother, make it clear that she isn't someone who it is a good idea to share it with. You can also say that you'll keep a physical copy in a purse/wallet or in your nightstand, and that may make your therapist more comfortable

Reactions: Arthuroff, UnrulyNightmare, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
lovedread

lovedread

Dear God, make me a bird…so I can fly far far away
Jan 2, 2020
Your therapist cannot make you share your safety plan with your mother if you are uncomfortable with it. That would be against patient privacy, especially since you're an adult. I'm unsure of your jurisdiction, but threatening to hospitalize you over not sharing your safety plan seems extreme. I wouldn't share your safety plan with a distant friend. It's more for someone who is close to you & would help in a crisis. If you don't have a support network where you feel comfortable sharing the safety plan, her goal should be to help you work on your support network, not bully you into sharing it. I personally have only shared my safety plan with a friend who lives three hours away, and my therapist accepted that as an answer because my family aren't safe people to share it with. A therapist who is doing their job correctly shouldn't try to push you into a situation that may be detrimental. If she continues to try to get you to share it with your mother, make it clear that she isn't someone who it is a good idea to share it with. You can also say that you'll keep a physical copy in a purse/wallet or in your nightstand, and that may make your therapist more comfortable
Ty you helped me so far a lot. Very thoughtful response

• Love
Reactions: ferrie