N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

Biden: "I do not view abortion as a choice and a right. I think it's always a tragedy, and I think that it should be rare and safe, and I think we should be focusing on how to limit the number of abortions. And there ought to be able to have a common ground and consensus as to do that,"

There are so many abortion threads in other sections I hope I am allowed to post this here. I was quite surprised Biden said that. But I don't really want to talk about politics. I rather want to emphasize that I disagree with this notion. (from the title)

I think it is wrong to think of abortion as tragedy per se. It is much more a tragedy when a minor gets raped and pregnant. It is a tragedy to force a victim of rape to get the children. Especially when the people are not able to care for the child. The judgment is especially discriminating poor people who cannot afford to travel to another state for a safe abortion. People who are already overstrained to handle their own problems are forced to care for another human being.
This is very counterproductive. And in my opinion immoral.

Many women will die because they will search for illegal ways how to get an abortion. This is kind of an analogy to the regulation of a peaceful suicide.
Though I also want to state of course that an abortion can be a tragedy. For example when the parents want to have a child but the life of the mother is in danger in case she does not abort the child. It must be a horrible dilemma.

Last edited:
Reactions: houseofleaves, Skathon, PrisonBreak and 4 others
S

Smart No More

Visionary
May 5, 2021
I can get onboard with trying to lessen the frequency of circumstances that cause the requirement for an abortion. That's just responsible behaviour but the leap to taking the right to have an abortion away is such a backstep.

Are there any mitigating circumstances that can arise in which the right to abortion is still in existence? For example as a result of rape? Incestuous rape? Situations where its a significant risk to the life of the mother?

Last edited:
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
I don't think it's a tragedy at all. I'm not completely pessimistic. I'm all for making the most of it when you are born but to not be born for whatever reason is not a tragedy.

Politicians are always trying to find the most acceptable answer to the most people. To alienate a huge group of voters by saying fuck yea, abort! might lose swing voters. I highly doubt that Biden cares about abortion either way.

Reactions: houseofleaves, Élégie, Skathon and 4 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I think abortion is not just a woman's right but a human right. Saying that people should be taking more precautions to not have children. It is said that roughly 50% of pregnancies are unplanned. That's just ridiculous. There is a movement called Stop Having Kids. I think we need more voices like this in our fucked up society. https://www.stophavingkids.org/

• Aww..
Reactions: houseofleaves, Élégie, Trezzohno and 5 others
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
The world itself is a tragedy. Just look at all the shit that's happening around us. The aborted fetus isn't missing anything.

Reactions: houseofleaves, redeyepiranha, VirtualSnow and 10 others
Zzzzz

Zzzzz

Nothing compares to the bliss of death.
Aug 8, 2018
hmm all I can say on the issue is I sincerely wish my mother aborted me. It would have spared me from so much suffering.

Reactions: houseofleaves, rationaltake, Élégie and 4 others
Trezzohno

Trezzohno

Suffering from a bad case of being alive :/
May 9, 2022
This world says babies are a blessing yet I rarely see children being treated like blessings.

Reactions: houseofleaves, rationaltake, Élégie and 1 other person
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I don't think it's a tragedy at all. I'm not completely pessimistic. I'm all for making the most of it when you are born but to not be born for whatever reason is not a tragedy.

Politicians are always trying to find the most acceptable answer to the most people. To alienate a huge group of voters by saying fuck yea, abort! might lose swing voters. I highly doubt that Biden cares about abortion either way.
Biden only cares about remembering enough of his rehearsed lines well, lol. At least "they" could put a front man/woman that looked powerful and alert, not a hair-sniffing codger. The last puppet was more entertaining.

Reactions: houseofleaves and newave3
MountainMonkey

MountainMonkey

Student
Jun 17, 2022
Abortions, like numerous other topics, are non of the government's business. It shouldn't be up for discussion. Ultimately, laws of the land, man's creation, do not apply. Only laws of the universe

H

Hookah-smoking-cat

Apr 24, 2022
Forced to care for another human being?? You should have to deal with your mistakes. Why does baby have to pay for slutty mommy's mistake. Let's not try & pretty it up. "Woman rights" bullshit. Selfish Selfish Selfish. Period

• Hmph!
Reactions: houseofleaves